Preview R6: Carlton v Bulldogs Sun 12th July 6.45PM @ Metricon - Team - Post #937

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the weirdness of this year it feels like the MC want to make as few changes as possible. So I don’t believe there will be any late changes (assuming the players are all fit). For example, we need games into Harry, not dropping him because of the weather.

I like the choice of Kennedy. I want him in the middle though I really rated his game against Freo when he played up forward. But, like all you, I’d be annoyed if he’s not playing in the centre - rotating with Setters maybe.

kennedy can take a very strong grab. That makes him a real weapon in the forward line. We have plenty of mids but not many are excelling in their forward craft. that sets bam bam apart. I think he has significantly improved his mobility so its up to him. If he comes in and kicks 2-3 and gets around the ground, its his spot unless someone takes it off him

The article on our website states the following:

Kennedy has been the standout performer of the Club’s recent reserves games, playing primarily as an inside midfielder...

He was described by development coach Daniel O’Keefe as the team’s best performer in the clashes with Geelong and Essendon, with his ability to win clearances and hit the scoreboard.

I don't think it's a long bow to draw at all to suggest he will play a mix of midfield and medium forward. I just hope his role is defined in that order and his primary role is that of an inside mid against the Pups, as I think it gives him the best chance to succeed on a personal level.

I totally understand the nuances and realities of the senior team are different to the 'reserves', but would hate to see Kennedy picked on excellent form playing one role but injected into the ones to play another and struggle. Really happy to have him back in the side and hope he can go on with it. Honestly believe he could be our 'sleeper' talent on the list. He came highly rated with a bit of hype, just hasn't really been able to go on with it except for in patches. Looks fit and easy to forget he has only just gone 23...

I don't think it's a long bow to draw at all to suggest he will play a mix of midfield and medium forward. I just hope his role is defined in that order and his primary role is that of an inside mid against the Pups, as I think it gives him the best chance to succeed on a personal level.

I totally understand the nuances and realities of the senior team are different to the 'reserves', but would hate to see Kennedy picked on excellent form playing one role but injected into the ones to play another and struggle. Really happy to have him back in the side and hope he can go on with it. Honestly believe he could be our 'sleeper' talent on the list. He came highly rated with a bit of hype, just hasn't really been able to go on with it except for in patches. Looks fit and easy to forget he has only just gone 23...

Opposition sides know to tag Cripps. If he is tagged, our midfield is exposed. Kennedy is a big body that can do the grunt work and protect Cripps.pretty sure that was the exact reason he was drafted (as well as having a good rep). Fingers crossed it all pans out

There are NO BOATS going anywhere at present.. ;)

Kennedy will be the talk of this forum post game .....Just gotta feeling :think:

Go BAM BAM ,it looks to me like you have worked your butt off (literally) and
today you will reap the rewards.
He is quite good..and they have used him in a few spots with only moderate success
He too slow for mids- not enough ball
Rotating forward/forward again pace...
We have a few fringe listings..with Newnes .Lang.etc who I don't want to get into

He could get a run of matches following Today if he can contribute ....lets hope he works 👍

Thing is we have cripps, setterfield and ed as our top 3 inside mids...with ed having the role of tagging as well.

At centre bounces so far cripps and ed have attended almost all of them, with the third now a mix of martin, setterfield, cuningham.

Id be surprised if kennedy started in the centre square, even though that's his best position and where he's been playing in the scratch matches as I can't see him dislodging any of those guys.

Though even if not starting in the centre square he could still spend time on ball and at stoppages around the ground in general play rather than up forward all game.

I’d start him (Kennedy) centre square in place of Setterfield, then have Setterfield come back into the midfield stoppages as the defensive stopper (can lay a tackle).

I remember that game he played against tigers before he went down with that ankle -- he was dominant with kruezer then both went down think we were 5 goals up

His first game for Carlton wasn’t it? Completely derailed his fresh chapter at the Blues. Hopefully he’s well and truly over those ankle issues.

Will be incredibly disappointing if we don't give Kennedy significant midfield minutes today. Don't see him as a permanent 3rd tall option going forward so his potential future at this club is only as an inside mid, which is where he plays and plays well in the reserves. We need to give him some games in the middle to see what he is made of. As he has the ability to go forward and make an impact, if he show us his ability as an inside mid at AFL level would be very exciting. If he plays most of the game today as a forward it would also indicate big problems with our player development with players being played in certain roles in the reserves and then given another role at AFL level.

I'm not sure how Kennedy will get the midfield minutes, everyone is wanting to see.

If Cripps and ECurnow begin to dominate early, Teague won't be so willing to flip that about.....therefore this would be a good thing.
We had a write up this week about Setterfield spending more time in the midfield (about time) so it's doubtful that will be pegged back for Kennedy.

We then have bits and pieces from Cuningham & Martin, a little from Walsh and maybe a sprinkling of Murphy.........so, how exactly does Kennedy get involved in any meaningful way? I guess we'll find out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good opportunity for kennedy to showcase for an inside mid role. We know he can kick goals but we have plenty of options there. he has to nail the mid role to cement a spot in best 22 imo and I hope he does.
Why not rotate kennedy and jack martin through midfield and forward line. I would do the same for sps somehow aswell

His first game for Carlton wasn’t it? Completely derailed his fresh chapter at the Blues. Hopefully he’s well and truly over those ankle issues.
It’s true it was in the “pre recurrence of ankle injury” zone, he was very impressive in that game to 1/2 time.

I also think a few around here rewrite history re what he has done as a mid in the 2’s. IIRC he’s had quite a few 30 plus touches games, he certainly doesn’t spud it up! People will just say anything to suit their narrative with some players.

The turf at Metricon looked absolutely shredded last night. Combined with the conditions, first to 5 goals probably wins.

Not opposed to Fisher coming in for McKay.

Our ‘slow’ midfield might enjoy a slog though - Setterfield, Cripps, Curnow, SPS aren’t known for their pace.

Glad Dunkley is missing for them.

Not going to be a pretty game.

suspect ground conditions could be pretty awful by the time we play.

2 games played at Metricon yesterday and ground was looking pretty average.

Port play GWS at 1pm on Metricon today - followed by our game at 6.45pm.

1. I said "believe it or not." This is from the club and I did state that it would have obviously changed......for the obvious reasons.
So it was you? Of course it doesn't matter for an opinion, but this is somehow your level of expectation, which is starkly different to the clubs.This was the point.

2. Re players: It's something that I've noticed in recent weeks and have said as much.
Look at Day and Atu on Friday night. Both looked accomplished in their first games and if one looks across the board, it seems to me that other teams young players are faring better than ours.

This does not mean that ours won't come on, but on the games I've watched, this has come across quite noticeably.
It may end this week, but it has been noticeable.....to me :)

Re 'We and Us'. I explained to you that you misinterpreted that post.......but somehow you start your sentence off with, 'No disrespect', which in reality means....plenty of disrespect. :) It also means you're taking this board way too seriously.

The game? Who knows.?
Who knows who'll come out to play and who wont?
What moves the coach will make and which ones he wont?

It's hard to pick what we'll do today, given all the unusual circumstances.
The club stated in various forums 10-12 wins this year, coterie groups and the like.

But not finals, right

10-12, I suggested a wider frame, 8 -13.

It's there abouts

Now we have found ourselves discussing ‘how to have all our inside mids’ rolling thru the midfield.
How good is our list or is becoming again? :p

I feel the person who will lose their spot is Ed, but that’s for another day....

ECurnow has to lose his spot, for the benefit of the CFC.
If we're still wheeling out Murphy and ECurnow as principle inside mids next year.......ouch.

That's not a slight on the two players but for the need of having others push them out. We (the club) has to make it happen.

I'm not sure how Kennedy will get the midfield minutes, everyone is wanting to see.

If Cripps and ECurnow begin to dominate early, Teague won't be so willing to flip that about.....therefore this would be a good thing.
We had a write up this week about Setterfield spending more time in the midfield (about time) so it's doubtful that will be pegged back for Kennedy.

We then have bits and pieces from Cuningham & Martin, a little from Walsh and maybe a sprinkling of Murphy.........so, how exactly does Kennedy get involved in any meaningful way? I guess we'll find out.
Kennedy is potentially best Cripps replacement option when he moves up forward. I’m also interested to see how setters goes.

ECurnow has to lose his spot, for the benefit of the CFC.
If we're still wheeling out Murphy and ECurnow as principle inside mids next year.......ouch.

That's not a slight on the two players but for the need of having others push them out. We (the club) has to make it happen.

We don’t have any competent stoppers with the endurance of Ed. He remains a critical role player, and his disposal deficiencies are acknowledged. Murphy is creative and talented enough to play HFF which is where they should be playing him. Let Martin and SPS run through the mid.

Last edited:

I can see him being rotated. One thing this year has shown is that midfield mix isn't quite right yet.. Though It has its moments.

I prefer this situation to the Cripps, fisher, Dow situation at every bounce early last year and the year before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back