Moved Thread Bailey Smith vs Sam Walsh

Who's better

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith was better tonight but Walsh wasn't bad himself and played a completely different role to Smith who is seemingly now relied upon in the Dogs midfield heavily.

This looks like it's going to be another one of those stupid threads where some Bulldogs fans rush to tell us what a useless spud Walsh is, just like they did with Cripps to talk up Bontempelli.

FFS, both are going to have very great careers. None of us are fortune tellers. Nobody knows for certain what the future holds. They are young players very likely to have ups and down. It was only a few weeks ago everyone was saying how vastly superior Rozee is to Walsh. Well he's hardly touched the ball since.

For the goldfishes on here, Sam Walsh showed plenty of promise last year as a genuine on baller. Sure his kicking needs some cleaning up but so much about him screamed elite in that role. For whatever reason he's pretty much been stuck on the wing all season so far.

Smith was better tonight but Walsh wasn't bad himself and played a completely different role to Smith who is seemingly now relied upon in the Dogs midfield heavily.

This looks like it's going to be another one of those stupid threads where some Bulldogs fans rush to tell us what a useless spud Walsh is, just like they did with Cripps to talk up Bontempelli.

FFS, both are going to have very great careers. None of us are fortune tellers. Nobody knows for certain what the future holds. They are young players very likely to have ups and down. It was only a few weeks ago everyone was saying how vastly superior Rozee is to Walsh. Well he's hardly touched the ball since.

For the goldfishes on here, Sam Walsh showed plenty of promise last year as a genuine on baller. Sure his kicking needs some cleaning up but so much about him screamed elite in that role. For whatever reason he's pretty much been stuck on the wing all season so far.

Its a “who has a bigger d*** contest”. Delete thread.

Always thought it was odd Walsh was pick 1 in the first place..seems classic footy group think where eveyone went along with it .

Ben King probably was the sensible pick 1.
I guess maybe the Blues didn't want a King because they have McKay?

Not sure

But imagine a fwd half with McKay, King, Curnow,.
Classic footy group think?

He was a dominant under age midfielder. Putting up Tom Mitchell like disposal numbers. He ticked all the boxes for the club that needed help in the midfield desperately and he's been fine so far. Far out this kid won the rising star last year, has played a few good games this season and now the club is being bashed for apparently making a horribly wrong pick. Give me a spell.

Why on earth would a team want three key forwards? Today's game can make that sort of set up useless. King was pick 6 either so he wasn't exactly some clear pick 1. Rankine and Lukosius were the other two the club likely considered. There's no point having all these key forwards either if you don't have a midfield winning the ball.

I think it will be better if your coach bites the bullet and just accepts Walsh is just an inside mid and put him where he belongs. The talk of fading out of games is funny one when he averages more disposals from less game time than Walsh.

You didn’t answer the question though. What hurts more? drafting Dow at 2? Or drafting Walsh over about 6 jets ?
Getting Smith at 7 is looking like an absolute bargain.
So what exactly points to Walsh not being a future jet? Because his disposal is shaky?

Classic footy group think?

He was a dominant under age midfielder. Putting up Tom Mitchell like disposal numbers. He ticked all the boxes for the club that needed help in the midfield desperately and he's been fine so far. Far out this kid won the rising star last year, has played a few good games this season and now the club is being bashed for apparently making a horribly wrong pick. Give me a spell.

Why on earth would a team want three key forwards? Today's game can make that sort of set up useless. King was pick 6 either so he wasn't exactly some clear pick 1. Rankine and Lukosius were the other two the club likely considered. There's no point having all these key forwards either if you don't have a midfield winning the ball.
Agreed. Was far and away the obvious choice for Carlton at number 1, the ready-made prospect who would have an instant impact at AFL level. With McGovern, McKay and Casboult as targets up forward and Weitering coming through, it was obvious that Carlton needed Walsh to come and assist Cripps, which is what he did in year 1. It was clearly subjective as to who would be better out of Walsh and Smith at that time, but the general consensus was that Walsh would have an instant impact, and from what I've heard his leadership capabilities are through the roof. Was definitely deserving of the number 1 billing at the time? Would he go number one in a redraft? Remains to be seen, but I can't understand people shitting on Carlton for drafting Walsh when he was the clear selection at the time.

Why does this thread even exist? We're in the second year of what looks to be two long and successful careers. By the time we can have a fair comparison, there'll be 500 pages of people slinging sh*t at each other because they're overly protective of their clubs player

For mine these threads are never used to discuss the more interesting aspect. Drafting strategy in relation to sure thing vs greater upside/more important role.

Agreed. Was far and away the obvious choice for Carlton at number 1, the ready-made prospect who would have an instant impact at AFL level. With McGovern, McKay and Casboult as targets up forward and Weitering coming through, it was obvious that Carlton needed Walsh to come and assist Cripps, which is what he did in year 1. It was clearly subjective as to who would be better out of Walsh and Smith at that time, but the general consensus was that Walsh would have an instant impact, and from what I've heard his leadership capabilities are through the roof. Was definitely deserving of the number 1 billing at the time? Would he go number one in a redraft? Remains to be seen, but I can't understand people shitting on Carlton for drafting Walsh when he was the clear selection at the time.
Yeah. It's annoying to read because we copped the exact same stuff with Weitering. He did worry me at times and at times needed a spell from the team but he showed enough talent in year one and in general to suggest he'd be a pick the club wouldn't regret. Now he's playing very good footy and I feel good watching when the ball comes towards him down back. There was a time when he looked uncertain, particularly at ground level. Walsh from the sounds of it is extremely professional and leadership material like Weitering. He is going to be working very hard on his footy.

I think we all forget that these blokes are very raw footballers who come out straight out of school and need time to grow. Some will burst on the scene and then plateau and either improve later on or remain similar players. Some start slow and then get good really quick. Sure you can make some judgements early on, but time and time again thinks work out differently to how we expect. It wasn't long ago that Petracca apparently was the wrong pick for the Dees and Jordan De Goey would have been better. Right now it's probably reversed and it could easily switch down the line.

Maybe Walsh remains a poor kick but far out he's in year two. He's probably not a finished product. Sure most good kicks seem to naturally have it, but he could still improve or at least become smarter by foot. Since when is being a shit kick a barrier to being an elite midfielder anyway?

I agree with what you've said, but I don't think the finger gets pointed towards only one set of fans here (in the same way the Cripps vs Bont debate was and is two way). Have a look at the comments when this thread was bumped tonight.

Simply put, at this stage they're both likely going to end their career with brilliant careers, regardless of any temporary form fluctuations.

I agree with what you've said, but I don't think the finger gets pointed towards only one set of fans here (in the same way the Cripps vs Bont debate was and is two way). Have a look at the comments when this thread was bumped tonight.
Because there's been a heap of Walsh isn't very good stuff going around lately. Yes some of our fans have carried on as well but I don't think they've said Smith isn't good.

Because there's been a heap of Walsh isn't very good stuff going around lately. Yes some of our fans have carried on as well.
And there will be the same if/when Smith drops in form. That's Bigfooty for you, no supporter group are really any different. At the end of the day, they're both guns, like a number of others in their draft class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walsh having a shaky disposal is a bit of a myth. When he tries to hit up a target he hits way more than he misses.

His problem is sometimes he panic kicks out of congestion without looking, which ends up going to outnumbers etc. But his actual target kicking is quite good.

Rankine and Lukosius had the potential go home factor to consider as well if Carlton took either of them.
GCS lucky they had back to back picks to snare both.

Bailey Smith does look like the more damaging player you would prefer. I just get the feeling Sam Walsh will be a Tom Scully at his best type which is still a top line player. However, Smith, Rankine look like something special.

Rankine and Lukosius had the potential go home factor to consider as well if Carlton took either of them.

I actually think Rankine so far has been the closest thing to a lock to not be a homesickness risk. I get the feeling it was just Adelaide and Port Adelaide fans pushing the narrative that he'd return home as soon as possible.

"I haven't been homesick so far and I don't think I will be. I love it up here so much. I miss my family, but I'd rather they move up here than me go back if anything,"

"Coming from an indigenous background there can be a label on you that you want to stay home with your mob and with your family. But for me personally, my family told me to go and do whatever. If I ended up at Gold Coast, or Melbourne or in Western Australia, that was all right, I just want to pursue my dream and put the name out there."

“I headed back home for two weeks then got pretty bored of Adelaide - it was too cold and a bit rainy and wet,”

I actually think Rankine so far has been the closest thing to a lock to not be a homesickness risk. I get the feeling it was just Adelaide and Port Adelaide fans pushing the narrative that he'd return home as soon as possible.

"I haven't been homesick so far and I don't think I will be. I love it up here so much. I miss my family, but I'd rather they move up here than me go back if anything,"

"Coming from an indigenous background there can be a label on you that you want to stay home with your mob and with your family. But for me personally, my family told me to go and do whatever. If I ended up at Gold Coast, or Melbourne or in Western Australia, that was all right, I just want to pursue my dream and put the name out there."

“I headed back home for two weeks then got pretty bored of Adelaide - it was too cold and a bit rainy and wet,”
A lot of people called our Premier an idiot and a dumbass. But looks like Izak agrees - why would you want to go to SA?

LOL

Walsh is a cyborg, Smith is a rockstar. Both players are far from the finished product and both are set to be guns of the comp for the next decade - this pissing contest is up there with the Clay Oliver thread.

That being said, it's odd that Walsh cops so much scrutiny in a world where Essendon picked McGrath ahead of Taranto and McLuggage...

Walsh is a cyborg, Smith is a rockstar. Both players are far from the finished product and both are set to be guns of the comp for the next decade - this pissing contest is up there with the Clay Oliver thread.

That being said, it's odd that Walsh cops so much scrutiny in a world where Essendon picked McGrath ahead of Taranto and McLuggage...

McGrath has been awesome this year, have you watched him at all?

I think if it had been a year later the club would have loved Rankine having already drafted Walsh. We’ve never really been a club impacted badly by players going home. Similar was said about Bryce Gibbs and he stuck around for years and only really left seemingly because of the state of the club. He would have been a great cherry on top sort of player. But the need for a ready to go mid was too much in 2018.

Lukosius would have been silly even with his silky skills and versatility I think. The Blues have a decent enough spine.

As much as I love Sammy, Smith put the argument to bed.. for now.. he clearly has far more hurt factor than Walsh, I think both will end up stars but as it stands the dog is clearly in front.

Last edited:
Yeah. It's annoying to read because we copped the exact same stuff with Weitering. He did worry me at times and at times needed a spell from the team but he showed enough talent in year one and in general to suggest he'd be a pick the club wouldn't regret. Now he's playing very good footy and I feel good watching when the ball comes towards him down back. There was a time when he looked uncertain, particularly at ground level. Walsh from the sounds of it is extremely professional and leadership material like Weitering. He is going to be working very hard on his footy.

I think we all forget that these blokes are very raw footballers who come out straight out of school and need time to grow. Some will burst on the scene and then plateau and either improve later on or remain similar players. Some start slow and then get good really quick. Sure you can make some judgements early on, but time and time again thinks work out differently to how we expect. It wasn't long ago that Petracca apparently was the wrong pick for the Dees and Jordan De Goey would have been better. Right now it's probably reversed and it could easily switch down the line.

Maybe Walsh remains a poor kick but far out he's in year two. He's probably not a finished product. Sure most good kicks seem to naturally have it, but he could still improve or at least become smarter by foot. Since when is being a sh*t kick a barrier to being an elite midfielder anyway?
Weiters confidence was ruined when we decided we tried to turn him into a fwd.

Back