Moved Thread Bailey Smith vs Sam Walsh

Who's better

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think pick #1 just has to be a near immediate impact player, their ceiling doesn't need to be that high. Nobody wants to be the recruiter who picked three top ten picks in a row that are taking three to five years to flourish, then they get fired - meanwhile the next person picks the professional manchild with their top pick and all four of them play round 1.

Honestly does it even matter who is better of the two. These 2 lads are both AFL level and will certainly be great players for their club. Would think Smith May end up the better player but in reality it will be minimal.

That draft though WOW. I don’t think anyone would be upset. A draft that had Lukacious, Rankine, Smith, Walsh, King Twins, Rozee would have no clue who will be the best from that group. If I was a betting man I’d go with Ben King who looks great.

but even the second tier Duursma, Thomas, Hately, Clark, Quaynor etc will all be very good players.

Honestly does it even matter who is better of the two. These 2 lads are both AFL level and will certainly be great players for their club. Would think Smith May end up the better player but in reality it will be minimal.

That draft though WOW. I don’t think anyone would be upset. A draft that had Lukacious, Rankine, Smith, Walsh, King Twins, Rozee would have no clue who will be the best from that group. If I was a betting man I’d go with Ben King who looks great.

but even the second tier Duursma, Thomas, Hately, Clark, Quaynor etc will all be very good players.
This and let the kids just play.

The internet is such a s**t fight these days it is sad over rubbish petty crap.

Would still take Smith ahead of Walsh

Both will play a lot of footy

Walsh is who Carlton needed to take. I strongly advocated for it, and nothing I’ve seen has made me change my mind. Remember after two years Judd v Hodge looked embarrassing, fast forward another 12 years and it slants the other way. Intangibles matter, Hodge had it, and Walsh has it.

Walsh looks a sure fire 300 gamer and future club captain.
He will be setting standards in a future leadership position that will be invaluable. Carlton for decades has sucked in regards to on and off-field leadership, that matters.

Walsh’s current form is a minor blip in the bigger scheme. Teague is focusing on team-first winning rather than player friendly stat stuffing. We play to win the game, if that means Walsh to the wing, so be it. He is a possession machine when in the middle. I have no concerns.

Smith just played for a team that got pumped, junk stats mean nothing.
Winning football is now returning to Blue-land, and thank heavens for that.

Walsh is who Carlton needed to take. I strongly advocated for it, and nothing I’ve seen has made me change my mind. Remember after two years Judd v Hodge looked embarrassing, fast forward another 12 years and it slants the other way. Intangibles matter, Hodge had it, and Walsh has it.

He will be setting standards in a future leadership position that will be invaluable. Carlton for decades has sucked in regards to on and off-field leadership, that matters.

Walsh’s current form is a minor blip in the bigger scheme. Teague is focusing on team-first winning rather than player friendly stat stuffing. We play to win the game, if that means Walsh to the wing, so be it. He is a possession machine when in the middle. I have no concerns.

Both players have huge upside. Walsh as he fills out, will be able to play more inside will still having a huge tank. Smith also has a high endurance rate, but has much more impact by foot and always will

Right now Smith is putting together a wonderful 2nd season, but you still have to look at what players will be doing 4 years into their careers

Still rate Smith the best longterm mid in that draft

Don't get ahead just yet. Same thing happened last year in Round 5 and you finished bottom 4.

The real question is, who’s hairstyle would you rather have? I’m more of a clean cut man myself... Smith it is

Winning football is now returning to Blue-land

What a silly thing to say. Do you apply the same criteria that stats don’t matter if the team loses to Cripps’ whole career?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weiters confidence was ruined when we decided we tried to turn him into a fwd.
In the long run it may have helped him, knowing how a forward thinks and what forwards try to do to gain separation from the defender.
As it stands he's a genuine AA contender, although Darcy Moore and Harris Andrews are also having very good years.

In the long run it may have helped him, knowing how a forward thinks and what forwards try to do to gain separation from the defender.
As it stands he's a genuine AA contender, although Darcy Moore and Harris Andrews are also having very good years.

Yeah I agree, I think he had the AA spot until he lowered his colours to Max King.. So far this season he has kept Tom Lynch, Tom McDonald & Schache goalless.. Townsend to 1 goal and Hawkins to a meek 2 goal performance.

Smith is missing a vital aspect of any team game which is an attribute Walsh has in spades, for that reason alone I'd still pick Walsh.

Smith is streets ahead. Walsh isn't damaging whatsoever.

I have heard this argument a million times in regards to other possession heavy players such as: Cotchin, Sam Mitchell, Robert Harvey, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

The reality is this, all top 7 picks of 2018 draft look special, Walsh and Smith included. Carlton absolutely has no regrets since Walsh will be our next Captain around 2025.

2018 is looking to be the all time super draft, even better than 2001.

Just found this thread. If I were given the choice, I'm picking Bailey Smith. Every. Single. Day. Of. The. Week.

Ok.

After 28 games its over? Current rising star winner is trash?

Who you you choose Judd v Hodge after 28 games, and then after 250 games?

Same argument I heard for years in regards to Weitering at 1 and Oliver at 4. Carlton stuffed up, Oliver is a star and Weitering sucks, yada yada.

When a number 1 pick isn’t a sure fire 250 gamer then you can criticise. 2018 draft is a win, win, win, win for all top 7 picks.

The criticism should not be that Sam Walsh was the wrong pick at 1, no the criticism is that Melbourne traded out of Ben King. That is a stuff up beyond stuff ups.

Back