Could Carlton be a serious contender in this random season?

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt we were horrendous and we know that, I loved watching you guys last night, and hoping that it’s abit of an awakening for the rest of the coaches that it’s still possible to play attacking footy. We literally have no dare or ability to take the game on with impey and scrimshaw out of the team. Burgoyne and Breust are our creativity forward of Centre and they were sorely missed.
Excuses excuses excuses. Forever Hawthorn

Murphy and maybe Betts are the only two players there that may be tough to find replacements for. Even still we’ve got Fisher sitting out of the side at the moment who can definitely play well in the middle.

Betts has added something we haven’t had in years so he will be tough to replace. But I would imagine the club tries again for Papley, although he’ll probably cost more now.

Marchbank is out at the moment but can replace Jones long term.

Casboult? Really? He’s been good this year but he’s not suddenly irreplaceable. I’m sure a year or two ago everyone wouldn’t have even mentioned him. Charlie Curnow is a superior footballer and slots straight back in, the issue with him is keeping him on the park after a recent sh*t run.

I never said they were irreplaceable but Carlton are supposed to be on the way up and you have players that clearly need replacing in the near future just to tread water

There’s still a few young players the club hasn’t given up on either. This idea that a club trying to go up the ladder should have no players to replace in their side and basically just loaded with 22 young blokes is fantasy stuff. It is constantly brought up on Bigfooty but it is never what happens to successful teams. Richmond didn’t just suddenly have 22 young blokes come good. Nor did the Dogs or Hawks.

No Richmond didn't have 22 young blokes come good but here's a list of players that retired in the 5 years before they won their first flag:

Chris Newman
Nathan Foley
Jake King
Daniel Jackson
Shane Tuck
Brad Miller
Kelvin Moore

Fair to say they weren't losing much quality in the years preceding their flag especially when you compare it to the quality coming in.

I never said they were irreplaceable but Carlton are supposed to be on the way up and you have players that clearly need replacing in the near future just to tread water

No Richmond didn't have 22 young blokes come good but here's a list of players that retired in the 5 years before they won their first flag:

Chris Newman
Nathan Foley
Jake King
Daniel Jackson
Shane Tuck
Brad Miller
Kelvin Moore

Fair to say they weren't losing much quality in the years preceding their flag especially when you compare it to the quality coming in.
So what quality did we bring in?

I assume someone has already posted the following...

Total qtrs won
Port Adel 17 (out of 24)
Carlton 16
Brisbane 15
St Kilda 14
Collingwood / Gold Coast / GWS 13
Bulldogs 12
Richmond/Hawthorn 11

PA and Carlton the only teams to win 5 from 6 final quarters.

Fallacious thinking IMO. The upside is the growth of the young guys on the list. Since when it is a matter of treading water? I look at the players that will need replacing and the players in the side atm who have been mentioned in the current AA thread (Cripps, Docherty, Weitering, Casboult) and I'm not too concerned. Charlie will replace Casboult. We need to land Papley as a priority. If we do that and can find someone to play Jones' role within the next couple of years, it's unlikely Carlton will be treading water given the age profile of the bulk of our best 22.

So what quality did we bring in?

Over 5 years? Not sure I can be bothered listing those. My simplistic take on the Richmond list build was they consistently got good to great value from their first round picks from 06-16. Then nailed the 2016 trade/draft period to push them over the edge.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume someone has already posted the following...

Total qtrs won
Port Adel 17 (out of 24)
Carlton 16
Brisbane 15
St Kilda 14
Collingwood / Gold Coast / GWS 13
Bulldogs 12
Richmond/Hawthorn 11

PA and Carlton the only teams to win 5 from 6 final quarters.
Wow!
Now that is an interesting stat.
Gives a whole different context- I knew I wasn't that crazy- I have watched all of Carlton's games this year (bar maybe a half) and they have looked thereabouts in all of them.
This stat proves it.

Fallacious thinking IMO. The upside is the growth of the young guys on the list. Since when it is a matter of treading water? I look at the players that will need replacing and the players in the side atm who have been mentioned in the current AA thread (Cripps, Docherty, Weitering, Casboult) and I'm not too concerned. Charlie will replace Casboult. We need to land Papley as a priority. If we do that and can find someone to play Jones' role within the next couple of years, it's unlikely Carlton will be treading water given the age profile of the bulk of our best 22.

You do realise saying we need to land a top 5 small forward or a Brad Crouch type as other Blues supporters in this thread have said isn’t a good sign.

Over 5 years? Not sure I can be bothered listing those. My simplistic take on the Richmond list build was they consistently got good to great value from their first round picks from 06-15. Then nailed the 2015 trade/draft period to push them over the edge.
Not too sure about that 2015 we got Daniel Rioli(15), Oleg Markov(50), Nathan Broad(67)

Wow!
Now that is an interesting stat.
Gives a whole different context- I knew I wasn't that crazy- I have watched all of Carlton's games this year (bar maybe a half) and they have looked thereabouts in all of them.
This stat proves it.
Now surely this will be on AFL360 or On The Couch or something like that - is this where all the good stats come from?

Chris Newman
Nathan Foley
Jake King
Daniel Jackson
Shane Tuck
Brad Miller
Kelvin Moore

Richmond had holes in their list. So many of the players running around now weren’t even getting games in their side until 2017. The point isn’t that they lost all these old blokes. The point is that they quickly found solutions to holes in their list. In the blink of an eye they went from having a forward line that offered little to one that harassed team all games with heaps of pressure small forwards. Carlton doesn’t need to find another Betts. They just need to find a few smalls who can kick goals. They are out there.

How does having to replace a couple of players mean the club can’t be on the way up? Betts etc remain around, helping younger blokes to develop etc and make the team more competitive. I daresay that’s better than the Bolton model which towards the end was throw as many youngsters out there and cop beltings.

In a year or two the club will have found players to replace them. Whether or not they’re as good will remain to be seen, but it really shouldn’t be dooming a team back down the ladder or anything like that.

Richmond had holes in their list. So many of the players running around now weren’t even getting games in their side until 2017. The point isn’t that they lost all these old blokes. The point is that they quickly found solutions to holes in their list. In the blink of an eye they went from having a forward line that offered little to one that harassed team all games with heaps of pressure small forwards. Carlton doesn’t need to find another Betts. They just need to find a few smalls who can kick goals. They are out there.

How does having to replace a couple of players mean the club can’t be on the way up? Betts etc remain around, helping younger blokes to develop etc and make the team more competitive. I daresay that’s better than the Bolton model which towards the end was throw as many youngsters out there and cop beltings.

In a year or two the club will have found players to replace them. Whether or not they’re as good will remain to be seen, but it really shouldn’t be dooming a team back down the ladder or anything like that.

I never said that Carlton can’t be on the way up. I said their rebuild is overrated.

My point is it’s a lot easier to fix holes in your list when you don’t have key players aging out ala Richmond for the 5 years before their premiership.

You do realise saying we need to land a top 5 small forward or a Brad Crouch type as other Blues supporters in this thread have said isn’t a good sign.

The club were an inch away from signing Papley last year. Rumour is it's still very much on the cards this year.

No big deal. I don't think there's many clubs able to say they don't need to add quality somewhere on the field to be a contender and club's add players every year, including yours. If Carlton manage to pull Papley this year they sure won't be treading water. It was just a silly comment.

I never said that Carlton can’t be on the way up. I said their rebuild is overrated.

My point is it’s a lot easier to fix holes in your list when you don’t have key players aging out ala Richmond for the 5 years before their premiership.

Carlton's key players are more your Cripps, Docherty, Weitering, Charlie et al. not Simpson, Murphy, Ed et al.

I actually go for Essendon but couldn't think of a better way to make your club look stupid.😂😂😂

Your post history says otherwise. Sorry champ, we're not accepting turncoats, especially those who think Carlton can win the flag.

Can some mod change this jokers club so we don't get associated with them? Thanks!

I reckon they were probably saying the same things about Foley, Newman, Jackson, Deledio, even big Ivan Maric. All were playing good footy until the end.

Curnow and Jones are the only ones we don’t have direct replacements for at the minute. But I’d back in both to play until around 2023.

Carlton's key players are more your Cripps, Docherty, Weitering, Charlie et al. not Simpson, Murphy, Ed et al.

Casboult, Simpson, Curnow and Murphy all finished top 10 in your B&F last year plus Eddie top top 10 in the league for average goals and assists. Just because you choose to draw the line differently to me doesn’t make them any less valuable to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back