Preview Changes: R8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are we going in so tall when Essendon only have 1 tall forward & a medium?

You would think we were playing West Coast.

Whislt I'm ok dripping Kelly, this is the week we are better off with another medium or small not a tall.
A genuinely baffling line up on all counts

The average age comparisons etc. don't show anything we don't know - we have a heap of experienced players are who aren't performing, and a heap of younger players who are just starting out, combined with a bog average middle group.

Our issue isn't our kids - it's that we're playing all of our kids for the first time at once rather than having had them gradually exposed over the last 2 years at the expense of underperforming experienced players.

We're paying for lazy, reactive and arrogant list management. "Oh well, we've got a new footy department now, we'd better rebuild". No, it was obvious more 18 months ago we needed to inject some youth and the cliff was coming.

The average age comparisons etc. don't show anything we don't know - we have a heap of experienced players are who aren't performing, and a heap of younger players who are just starting out, combined with a bog average middle group.

Our issue isn't our kids - it's that we're playing all of our kids for the first time at once rather than having had them gradually exposed over the last 2 years at the expense of underperforming experienced players.

We're paying for lazy, reactive and arrogant list management. "Oh well, we've got a new footy department now, we'd better rebuild". No, it was obvious more 18 months ago we needed to inject some youth and the cliff was coming.

Stuck trying to reclaim form of 2017......

Last edited:
Why are we going in so tall when Essendon only have 1 tall forward & a medium?

You would think we were playing West Coast.

Whislt I'm ok dripping Kelly, this is the week we are better off with another medium or small not a tall.

Taking the opposition into account has never been part of our selection philosophy.

I did have to laugh earlier in the year though when we picked a side for a wet weather game and the forecast ended up being wrong.

Taking the opposition into account has never been part of our selection philosophy.

I did have to laugh earlier in the year though when we picked a side for a wet weather game and the forecast ended up being wrong.
Well just back ourselves to play our way. (same philosophy of no tag prior to this year.)

Also picked both Himmelberg and Frampton for the wet weather game at the Gabba

Nicks backing in Matt at his presser today, said they’ve looked the vision carefully from the Saints game and he’s aware of what he needs to improve on and that they expect him to respond as he’s a class player. That’s all well and good, but why can’t he do that in the scratch matches?

They've been backing him for about two and a half years- roughly the last time he was a class palyer.

That response is coming any minute now.

Seedsman is not a bloody on baller. Wing or half back at a stretch.

Matt Crouch surving last weeks embarressing performance is a huge joke.

Kelly out is a plus but I bet we rush him back next week.
Matt Crouch and Seedsman named on the ball.

What's the record for the quickest centre clearance and forward 50 entry?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seedsman is not a bloody on baller. Wing or half back at a stretch.

Matt Crouch surving last weeks embarressing performance is a huge joke.

Kelly out is a plus but I bet we rush him back next week.
Matt Crouch and Seedsman named on the ball.

What's the record for the quickest centre clearance and forward 50 entry?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed. It’s a tough ask given the state of the side he has inherited. But he basically has B. Crouch, M. Crouch and R. Sloane. At what point does he have to take responsibility for failure. They don’t even look remotely close to breaking even. He has excuses in other parts of the ground, but it’s a former AA midfield at his disposal.

I mean, they're names with reputation, but I don't think you can blame Nicks for that lack of performance. Especially when one of those three has regressed to the point he's not even AFL standard in Matt Crouch just due to how unfit he is. He does lose points for not resting Sloane when it was obvious he is injured, but even there it's just a mess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A genuinely baffling line up on all counts
Nicks is totally out of his depth. He did inherit the worst, most selfish group of senior players in the league though. He's also stuck with an incompetent admin and a coaching group devoid of any talent or experience. It's hard to go too hard at Nicks because I doubt even Clarko could deal with this kind of s**t.

Nicks is totally out of his depth. He did inherit the worst, most selfish group of senior players in the league though. He's also stuck with an incompetent admin and a coaching group devoid of any talent or experience. It's hard to go too hard at Nicks because I doubt even Clarko could deal with this kind of sh*t.
It's hard to comprehend that our post-damning review rookie coach, already working with a skeleton crew, actually had his support staff scaled down further during the year

Just wondering why we haven't thrown Hartigan in the ruck over Tex when O'Brien needs a break?

Obviously this week we've got slightly better cover but hard to imagine Hartigan doing much worse in that position and he isn't anywhere near as valuable.

I think having some kind of relief for O'Brien is a big issue for us. Himmelberg and Frampton don't do enough out of the ruck (at least to that they've shown to date), Tex is awful in the ruck and not a spot you should be risking him and double as much when Fog gets back - risking for me is just centre bounce. Forward 50 isn't as bad however they could possibly br in a bettee position if not needing to ruck.

Almost need to find a way for Rob to take every centre bounce and sit back in the defensive 50 whilst leaving the forward 50 to whoever is closest. At least this would allow us to being in another player who can provide some run. Seems like a waste of a selection unless they can add to our forwards which is a tough ask if you already have Tex, Fog and Lynch in that lineup.

Just wondering why we haven't thrown Hartigan in the ruck over Tex when O'Brien needs a break?

Obviously this week we've got slightly better cover but hard to imagine Hartigan doing much worse in that position and he isn't anywhere near as valuable.

I think having some kind of relief for O'Brien is a big issue for us. Himmelberg and Frampton don't do enough out of the ruck (at least to that they've shown to date), Tex is awful in the ruck and not a spot you should be risking him and double as much when Fog gets back - risking for me is just centre bounce. Forward 50 isn't as bad however they could possibly br in a bettee position if not needing to ruck.
Is cover for ROB really a big issue? His aerobic fitness is reported to be one of his strengths.

I see ROB as a very fit player who contributes around the ground, lays tackles, takes a few marks but just isn't very talented at winning taps. His problems aren't related to endurance or work rate but actual talent. I doubt we ever turn him into an elite ruck but that wouldn't matter so much if we had midfielders who actually resembled AFL footballers.

Ok, I'm all for Jake Kelly being dropped. Rest doesn't enthuse me, though I can live with us being careful with McHenry seeing I do remember a car crash causing some back issues last year.

Matt Crouch shouldn't be there.

Kelly - yet another average player we should’ve traded when he had currency.

Now we’ll either delist him or give him away.

Hopeless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back