Autopsy vs Carlton - Round 8, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

- Lukey was impressive in defence today.
- Another solid game from Dumont and Higgins
- Goldy didn't have his best game. Conditions didn't help but first quarter he lacked aggression.
- Hayden was very good on Betts.
- I didn't think Hall was too bad. His goal at the end was class in the conditions.
- Walker was reliable in defence. He would be up there in the Syd votes you would think.

Fair enough the angst towards Pittard, but does anyone think we would have felt that much better had we pinched it?

Win lose draw, that was a painful game to watch and still a depressing look at the rest of the season.

Shaw needs to concede the season now and prepare for 2021, no more playing senior players who have no future with us, players underdone, and players who make fundamental errors over and over again.

We're rock ******* bottom at the moment.

Been hamstrung by some injuries to allow that.

In terms of playing kids its a balance thing imo.

It's really across half back that we need to bring one in but outside of that I think we're doing OK in terms of what were blooding.

We'll win next week and hopefully roll Melbourne.

Outside of that I'm all for experimental positioning like Polec on Cripps.

No cunnington has a huge flow on effect on the rest of our midfield. We need to learn how to play without him. Good learning experience for Jy today. He probably has never been heavily tagged in his career before.
Doesn't change the fact that Curnow is one of the best stoppers in the comp. Has been for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved in the first Q though that BBB buried his knee into oppo back. More of that browny. You’ll get there.

He has actually always competed with a fair amount of courage and intent, he just isn't very good at it. But with his size and weight, he is bound to have some kind of impact.

I love Ben brown but his effort at the moment is poor. You can’t get beat in the one on ones AND on the lead. Pick what you want to be. Sure sure the delivery doesn’t help but today he showed he is not up to it at all. Realistically walker should have gone to full forward once Mitch m went off injured. Missed opportunity from Shaw

I think they turned a corner at quarter time; the first quarter was a continuation of the last five weeks, disjointed, bad skill errors. Jed onto Cripps got things moving, and thereafter, I think there were some real positives. snake baker has most of them, but at the danger of some repetition;

1. something of a break out game for Bailey Scott
2. Larkey - quality player
3. LDU got through
4. McKay was solid again, deserves his spot and his game broadened even from last week, taking some marks, tidy disposal
5. Kyron on Betts - massive game, fewer mistakes, good effort to back up after being steamrollered last week
6. contrary to my diatribe last week, Pittard as a defensive forward went well, with the obvious exception of the game-changing brain fade

not great to lose to a middling team, but some positives to build on

Before i cover our guys....56 free kicks in shortened game. Can't remember more howlers ever, both ways. 56.

Anyhow, i thought our tall backs were great all day, as was Kyron, Lmac put in pretty well too but disposal is for the tip. Is Atley even 'fast' anymore? Walker is a huge pick up for nothing and a perfect Scooter replacement.
Goldy an off day.
Simpkin tagged into submission.
Forwards were poor but who the hell would want Dumont, Jed, Hall & Lmac kicking it to you.
If Mahoney makes it he's gonna need to develop some serious tricks in the next 18 months given his physical limitations.
LDU was horribly short of a gallop, i think this manifests into looking like he doesn't 'want it' or 'care.

Special mentions to JMac & Pittard who each had particularly terrible moments that should ensure they don't play next week.

I'm not unhappy we lost, we need new talent and lots of it.

Can't agree KingC.

The umpires were rubbish (as usual), but if anything we had the better of the two.

Had zero bearing on the result imo.

I agree with that. I thought the umps were much worse last week but there wasn't much posted about it.

North have lost a competition-most 73 games to injury overall this season.
We didn't deserve to win today.
We're getting games into players that will form our future.
We're in a better position to get draft picks that will make a difference.

Glass is half full.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back