Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

What a game, heart attack material! Full credit to the Cats and the coach, they always shut us down and match up so well.
I'd be concerned about the next time we play them, depending on who's in and out! Never take them for granted.
Well done Eagles, a lot of things weren't going our way and they slowly turned it around, showed some good qualities in a brutal game.
Would like to see more of Edwards.
Ainsworth's several 'deer in headlights' moments?
Phew, 4 points and 4th spot..for the time being.
(re 'now get the * out of this town' - real classy sportsmanship?)

+ Midfield was superb won the contested ball and the clearnces
+ Nic Nat is a beast, he and JK just dragged us over the line
+ Sheed was excellent 24 touches 15 contested possessions and two clutch goals
+ Defence was very good
+ We found another way to win other than the kick mark game
+ JK is a champion

- Ainsworth has to go a pure liability - Redden will come in
- Edwards concussed - Gov will come in
- Slow starts

Five straight. Top four. Shocking start after the resumption is largely a distant memory.

Not pertinent to the Cats game as such but worth mentioning I think - this is our most vital goal of the season.

Waterman did beautifully today when thrown down back after the Edwards KO. Gets it done as a forward, this we know. If healthy he has to play the duration of the season, absolutely critical player at such a young age.

Positives

• Naitanui is continuing his ripping form. I liked his inside 50s; wished he nailed the goal as he is a relatively reliable set shot; I thought Ratugolea played bloody well for most of the game, but Naitanui still shone.
  • JK brought the crowd alight in the 4th. Our Bearded God.
  • Kelly, Yeo, Shuey, Sheed, Duggan, Ryan and Sheppard were great all night.
  • I honestly was never actually worried that we wouldn't eventually hit the lead...I have faith in this team and they pulled it off despite Geelong playing very well for the most part; I only got worried when Sheed banged it forward into Taylor's arms with 4 minutes to go - it gave them a fresh play to get the lead, and ended with Hawkins getting upset and a Simpson point.
  • The atmosphere was outstanding. Not sure whether it was because it was a close game against a good side (Eagles crowds can be reserved when not much is on the line), or the fact people have more space and are generally more comfortable to get up and about; in bays 145 and 146 we gave Razor heaps of s**t in the third quarter.
  • Plentiful parking at the station and room on the trains.
  • The bacon cheeseburger at the stadium for $12.80 was actually bloody good.

Negatives

• Harry getting knocked out in his first game. Looked pretty good before going off.
  • Ainsworth is not there mentally. On two occasions I saw teammates directing him because he looked lost. Then there was the turn over and the HTB. Will have to work on a few things before getting back in.
  • Barrass got caught out a couple of times. Not a big drama considering Harry went off but ultimately he's missing his mate.

Last edited:
one of simpsons early coaching mantras when he arrived at the club was being able to play multiple positions.

the experiment of playing waterman down back at stages the past 3-4 weeks paid dividends tonight because he was very serviceable after edwards went down.

Waterman’s second position is back flank. Back in the 16’s talent carnival he played forward for a half and the defence in the other half. He was pretty damn effective in those games and would run, carry and link up really well. Moves the ball a lot like those Collingwood backs.

His field kicking has improved a lot since then and he’s obviously taller and would be a more effective intercept player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Positives

• Naitanui is continuing his ripping form. I liked his inside 50s; wished he nailed the goal as he is a relatively reliable set shot; I thought Ratugolea played bloody well for most of the game, but Naitanui still shone.
  • JK brought the crowd alight in the 4th. Our Bearded God.
  • Kelly, Yeo, Shuey, Sheed, Duggan, Ryan and Sheppard were great all night.
  • I honestly was never actually worried that we wouldn't eventually hit the lead...I have faith in this team and they pulled it off; I only got worried when Sheed banged it forward into Taylor's arms with 4 minutes to go - it gave them a fresh play to get the lead, and ended with Hawkins getting upset and a Simpson point.
  • The atmosphere was outstanding. Not sure whether it was because it was a close game against a good side (Eagles crowds can be reserved when not much is on the line), or the fact people have more space and are generally more comfortable to get up and about; in bays 145 and 146 we gave Razor heaps of sh*t in the third quarter.
  • Plentiful parking at the station and room on the trains.
  • The bacon cheeseburger at the stadium for $12.80 was actually bloody good.

Negatives

• Harry getting knocked out in his first game. Looked pretty good before going off.
  • Ainsworth is not there mentally. On two occasions I saw teammates directing him because he looked lost. Then there was the turn over and the HTB. Will have to work on a few things before getting back in.
  • Barrass got caught out a couple of times. Not big drama considering Harry went off but ultimately he's missing his mate.
I said to my mates it sounded louder than with a full stadium. I figure it's because only the die hards are turning up.

What a game, heart attack material! Full credit to the Cats and the coach, they always shut us down and match up so well.
I'd be concerned about the next time we play them, depending on who's in and out! Never take them for granted.
Well done Eagles, a lot of things weren't going our way and they slowly turned it around, showed some good qualities in a brutal game.
Would like to see more of Edwards.
Ainsworth's several 'deer in headlights' moments?
Phew, 4 points and 4th spot..for the time being.
(re 'now get the **** out of this town' - real classy sportsmanship?)
Since 2010, we have won every game at home and they win every game away. Sure, there have been a few close ones, but realistically, we were never going to lose. Despite razor Ray's best efforts.

I'll start with negatives, because a few things pissed me off.
- Simpson clearly cheated with kneeing the goal, then laughed when it got paid. Enjoy your 8 stitches cnt.
- The goal umpire in that situation calling it a goal, just say I'm not sure because you weren't.
- Some poor umpiring, Razor at the heart of it.
- We let them get easy disposals out of our back half in the first half. Positive in this was we turned it around and shut it down and applied nice pressure.
- Kills me to say this, but Cameron was awful. He had two massive turn over kicks, but I'd definitely persist as he'll be a gun.

Positives
- Kennedy after the 16 sec mark to mid 3/4 did nothing. Game on the line, up he bobs and turns game winner. This is what champions do, King Kennedy.
- Cats defence is one of best in the league, averages 43 points against. We dumped a massive load on that.
- To be down and out of the game to believe and come back was beautiful, these games are almost better than the Collingwood win as belief grows so much from wins like that.
- Duggan is the future captain!
- Yeo is our barometer man, tonight he said I'm not losing.l this.
Duggan and Allen for Captain. Oscar Allen is a natural leader.

POS
- NN is the best ruck in the comp. Makes Gawn and Grundy get coffee for him. Should be in the box seat for AA as he is so special.
- JK is my dad
- Kelly did amazing AGAINST THE TEAM THAT DIDNT WANT HIM
- Angry Yeo
- Duggan is a hero
- Snake did well down back

NEG
- Didn’t get to see much of Harry
- Ainsworth is trash, the amount of times I saw him just jogging next to his direct opponent who was the one carrying the ball forward was outrageous
- Shep wasn’t as good as usual imo
- Chris Scott didn’t get booed out of the stadium state.

I said to my mates it sounded louder than with a full stadium. I figure it's because only the die hards are turning up.
Yep, all the people in my vicinity knew names and got out of their seats. It was second only to the Collingwood qualifying final win in my personal experience (didn't go to Richmond or Melbourne prelim in 2018).

Its good to get some game time into them in such a high pressure game, at this stage of the season. When the whips are cracking in October (?) you'd expect they'd be spectators.
So what you’re saying is that they will still be playing their role - they were pretty much spectators against Geelong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waterman’s second position is back flank. Back in the 16’s talent carnival he played forward for a half and the defence in the other half. He was pretty damn effective in those games and would run, carry and link up really well. Moves the ball a lot like those Collingwood backs.

His field kicking has improved a lot since then and he’s obviously taller and would be a more effective intercept player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forgive me, but is he the Hurn replacement - we have plenty of tall young forwards

Positives:
- the first 12 seconds
- our defence stood up, the loss of Harry changed our structure and Waterman showed his versatility
- JK was quality and Jack has been much better since returning to Perth
- NicNat silky and our centre clearance team
- Shuey Yeo Kelly Sheed all offer a difference in the centre clearances
- Gaff used more on the wing felt more natural
- Oscar was ok without being at last week’s level
- Duggan
- We managed to get momentum back - momentum is one of the hardest things to stop. Well done leaders. I saw lots of on-field huddles
- a week closer before Petruccelle is available
- My family now understand the meltdown I had when we passed on Constable and took Ainsworth in November 2018

Negatives
- Injury to Edwards
- How much the run off hbf from Cats hurt us and the collective Ah Chee Cripps and Cameron hurt us
- number 33

Overall, 2 top teams that had a real crack at it.

Add back Gov and Redden and we look even better

Forgive me, but is he the Hurn replacement - we have plenty of tall young forwards
Good call for Waterman to take over from a Hurn. We have good cover for height up from and I can see Jake playing that role. Allows us to go in with only 2 talks as Jake and Sheppard can both play tall

Since 2010, we have won every game at home and they win every game away. Sure, there have been a few close ones, but realistically, we were never going to lose. Despite razor Ray's best efforts.
Maybe, we probably play them away next time, or worse in a finals like before-I just have a healthy respect for them and they're a quality team, which makes the win all the more sweeter!.
But yeh, the umpiring (Razor) was all over the shop-holding the ball, high tackles, push in the back, holding the man, all ignored or wrongly paid -there was stuff going on all over the place-which probably just shows how difficult it is to umpire a game these days?

Last edited:
Edwards is going to be some kind of player. I was very impressed.
Agreed, looks like we got another one!!!
The current team can be awesome at their best and the future team is looking awesome in potential!
We could have a bright/sunglasses footy future ahead of us? ( pandemics, alien invasions, WW3, meteor showers, climate change and zombie apocalypses excluded?)

But where do we find another NN and JK replacement? (might have one in Oscar)

*side note = the Freo melts are just delicious, they hate us so much but can't stop themselves from watching us and comparing themselves to us and getting all jealous and f**d up over us, which makes them hate themselves more -and down, down the rabbit hole they go, like poetry in motion!?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back