EDFL Div 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been trying to keep busing but I’m back folks for a bit as apparently you all have been missing me. Well some prefer me to stay away. 🤭

Survey Wrong you are. Trembearth confirmed as staying. There best player in Volpato has committed. It’s no secret they are going down the youth path and probably have the best young talent in div1 so it’s a piority to keep them and build around them. Just need 1 or 2 hard nosed experienced players that have played higher footy (if they can land them) to complement there list and they will be competitive around 4-5th but who knows as young players can be unpredictable. They have never really had that quality who have played higher footy and relied on there mid aged homegrowns but it probably was found to be unsuccessful if you evaluate there last 3-5 years. Losing Church after 1 year set them back big time if you ask me..But let’s not go there.

I'm a huge Volpato fan and Josh's a good player, but I'd be very surprised if Survey wasn't talking about Keirbatieh. Keeping him will be huge.

I’ve been trying to keep busing but I’m back folks for a bit as apparently you all have been missing me. Well some prefer me to stay away. 🤭

Survey Wrong you are. Trembearth confirmed as staying. There best player in Volpato has committed. It’s no secret they are going down the youth path and probably have the best young talent in div1 so it’s a piority to keep them and build around them. Just need 1 or 2 hard nosed experienced players that have played higher footy (if they can land them) to complement there list and they will be competitive around 4-5th but who knows as young players can be unpredictable. They have never really had that quality who have played higher footy and relied on there mid aged homegrowns but it probably was found to be unsuccessful if you evaluate there last 3-5 years. Losing Church after 1 year set them back big time if you ask me..But let’s not go there.

Premier div premiership player signing announcement tomorrow at Hillside.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They need to keep Newell and Syme. Height and speed. The others are all good smalls that most clubs have plenty of. Newell is a great swing man and I saw Syme’s a few time last year and was awesome in spurts.

They need to keep Newell and Syme. Height and speed. The others are all good smalls that most clubs have plenty of. Newell is a great swing man and I saw Syme’s a few time last year and was awesome in spurts.
Yes agree. Newell is close friends with the coach so staying on. Syme also staying I believe. They have enough big men to cover the recent loss. Just need to recruit smartly and who knows. I don’t think anyone can predict what’s going to happen next season. Things are changing massively in the NEW footy world.

Last edited:
No one has the money to compete Sticks it is farcical what is happening but like in Deer Parks case you can't buy respect

Donald D

First of all I hope you and everyone else are healthy, fit and staying safe and wearing your masks!!

Donald I know you get it but to clear it up with some others on here I will post the following:

Any footy person should realise. Close to 50% drop in the salary cap of premier / div1 EDFL means EVERY player will need to take a massive pay cut, especially those 5-6 getting paid the most at there club. Clubs who were spending near the cap in 2019 or budgeting to in season 2020 will need to manage these cuts and clubs will be losing the odd player or players (due to them not accepting the pay cut) and clubs unable to recruit to cover due to they can’t fit any recruits under the cap. Pretty simple really..
It’s happening now at ALL clubs as they manage there player list.

Clubs that have lost a few players maybe prior to Covid, will have a little more flexibility to recruit but still it will be lose 4 and recruit 2.

In simple English it’s the only way possible to say under a cap reduced by 50% which is a cut of approx 60-80k to some clubs in div1. It’s huge..Clubs will decrease payments to some players probably hoping they don’t accept and want out so it’s easier, otherwise it’s losing say 6 players that are on $600 a game or massive cuts to payments of the high end earners. Just like a business who is not making profit or meeting margins they restructure to reduce spending costs which ultimately means job losses, no yearly salary increase etc, etc Football clubs are NO different with this salary cap reduction. IF anyone thinks players on 1000 per game will be happy to accept 300-400 you are wrong. Yes maybe some will stay but others will leave if a better offer came along or work on a Saturday. *Yes clubs will still have some players (maybe 3-4) on around 600 based on 4-5 players who might be fringe players up from reserves (or 16s / 18s players) now required to play seniors and you give them $50 - $100 or nothing balancing that out. However to give 4 players $600 that’s $1400 you need to shave off other 18 players who are on say ave of $250.
Good Example:
So 6 players on $75 / 8 players on $150 / 4 players on ave $400 / 4 players on $600 There’s your weekly game budget on average. 🤔 Good luck managing that one!!

If a club was only paying 120k in 2019 it’s easier to manage to some degree but basically if you keep your list together you will NOT be able to recruit as you still need to cut costs.

Im not sure where these players who leave will go, as clubs will have NO room left in there cap which means a lower standard of quality footy. Some will go to other comps outside Metro I guess!

So my main point is clubs will ultimately have weaker lists in 2021 compared to 2019 and therefore clubs recruiting will be very limited as most will be having more outs than ins or similar ins v outs depending on what % of the cap you were paying in 2019. You won’t see more ins than outs as it’s just not mathematically possible.

*salary cap $85,000 = Ave player payments over 16 rounds is $241 ($5312 per round) / over 18 rounds is $214 per player($4722 per round)

Now I’m worn out going through this sh##. 🥺😩😩😩
Cheers

Last edited:
First of all I hope you and everyone else are healthy, fit and staying safe and wearing your masks!!

Donald I know you get it but to clear it up with some others on here I will post the following:

Any person with some type of intelligence in or outside the footy circles should realise. Close to 50% drop in the salary cap of premier / div1 EDFL means EVERY player will need to take a massive pay cut, especially those 5-6 getting paid the most at there club. Clubs who were spending near the cap in 2019 or budgeting to in season 2020 will need to manage these cuts and clubs will be losing the odd player or players (due to them not accepting the pay cut) and clubs unable to recruit to cover due to they can’t fit any recruits under the cap. Pretty simple really..

Clubs that have lost a few players maybe prior to Covid, will have a little more flexibility to recruit but still it will be lose 4 and recruit 2.

In simple English it’s the only way possible to say under a cap reduced by 50% which is a cut of approx 60-80k to some clubs in div1. It’s huge..Clubs will decrease payments to some players probably hoping they don’t accept and want out so it’s easier, otherwise it’s losing say 6 players that are on $600 a game or massive cuts to payments of the high end earners. Just like a business who is not making profit or meeting margins they restructure to reduce spending costs which ultimately means job losses, no yearly salary increase etc, etc Football clubs are NO different with this salary cap reduction. IF anyone thinks players on 1000 per game will be happy to accept 350-400 you are wrong. Yes maybe some will stay but others will leave if a better offer came along or work on a Saturday. *Yes clubs will still have some players (maybe 4-5) on 600-800 based on 4-5 players who might be fringe players up from reserves (or 16s / 18s players) now required to play seniors and you give them $50 - $100 or nothing balancing that out.

If a club was only paying 120k in 2019 it’s easier to manage to some degree but basically if you keep your list together you will NOT be able to recruit as you still need to cut costs.

Im not sure where these players who leave will go, as clubs will have NO room left in there cap which means a lower standard of quality footy. Some will go to other comps outside Metro I guess!
Some will accept illegal payments outside the cap. But if caught it’s a huge penalty to both player and club. Yes some clubs will take a risk no doubt but I reckon leagues will be all over things as it’s not hard to audit and work things out just by reviewing lists in vs outs post season 2019. Or hopefully the league doesn’t bury there head in the sand and believe that say 3-8 players have ALL agreed to now play for say 300-400 in 2019 or 2020 it was say 800-1200. 😄

So might main point is clubs will ultimately have weaker lists in 2021 compared to 2019 and therefore clubs recruiting will be very limited as most will be having more outs than ins and similar ins v outs depending on what % of the cap you were paying in 2019. You won’t see more ins than outs when comparing apples with apples. It’s just not possible mathematical.

salary cap $90,000 = Ave player payments over 16 rounds is $255 (over 18 rounds is $227 per player)

Cheers

Cap is 85k not 90k. Which is about $5300 per game over 16 rounds. You won’t have 4-5 players on $600-$800. That will be the cap nearly gone there.

Cap is 85k not 90k. Which is about $5300 per game over 16 rounds. You won’t have 4-5 players on $600-$800. That will be the cap nearly gone there.
Yeah I amended my post about 4 times already and will now change it again gro 85k. 😄 Good luck to ALL those footy managers as hope they have plenty of batteries in there calculator or have there phone fully charged. Nightmare.

The role of footy manager or Football director or whatever should be a paid role and now is a good example as they will be very busy. Yes totally understand it’s Covid 19 recession but if they are also chasing sponsors then that will be so important. 😩

Last edited:
Brings the field back to roxy. We wouldn't have even spent the 2021 cap money in 2020. Haha
Yeah I amended my post about 4 times already and will now change it again gro 85k. Good luck to those footy managers as hope they have plenty of batteries in there calculator or have there phone fully charged. Nightmare.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Any footy person should realise. Close to 50% drop in the salary cap of premier / div1 EDFL means EVERY player will need to take a massive pay cut, especially those 5-6 getting paid the most at there club. Clubs who were spending near the cap in 2019 or budgeting to in season 2020 will need to manage these cuts and clubs will be losing the odd player or players (due to them not accepting the pay cut) and clubs unable to recruit to cover due to they can’t fit any recruits under the cap. Pretty simple really..
It’s happening now at ALL clubs as they manage there player list.

In simple English it’s the only way possible to say under a cap reduced by 50% which is a cut of approx 60-80k to some clubs in div1. It’s huge..Clubs will decrease payments to some players probably hoping they don’t accept and want out so it’s easier, otherwise it’s losing say 6 players that are on $600 a game or massive cuts to payments of the high end earners. Just like a business who is not making profit or meeting margins they restructure to reduce spending costs which ultimately means job losses, no yearly salary increase etc, etc Football clubs are NO different with this salary cap reduction. IF anyone thinks players on 1000 per game will be happy to accept 300-400 you are wrong. Yes maybe some will stay but others will leave if a better offer came along or work on a Saturday. *Yes clubs will still have some players (maybe 3-4) on around 600 based on 4-5 players who might be fringe players up from reserves (or 16s / 18s players) now required to play seniors and you give them $50 - $100 or nothing balancing that out. However to give 4 players $600 that’s $1400 you need to shave off other 18 players who are on say ave of $250.
Good Example:
So 6 players on $75 / 8 players on $150 / 4 players on ave $400 / 4 players on $600 There’s your weekly game budget on average. 🤔 Good luck managing that one!!

So my main point is clubs will ultimately have weaker lists in 2021 compared to 2019 and therefore clubs recruiting will be very limited as most will be having more outs than ins or similar ins v outs depending on what % of the cap you were paying in 2019. You won’t see more ins than outs as it’s just not mathematically possible.

*salary cap $85,000 = Ave player payments over 16 rounds is $241 ($5312 per round) / over 18 rounds is $214 per player($4722 per round)

Now I’m worn out going through this sh##. 🥺😩😩😩
Cheers
Good to see you back Turbo.
We all know many clubs won’t be staying under cap.

You blokes ?? Definition of ignorance is lack of knowledge and information. Well I talk to a lot of current and ex players, coaches, committee person especially major sponsors who sponsor about 6 or 7 clubs across the edfl. The deals that have been made are incredible including your club - but no one does anything about it- they are all chasing some form of success or survival. Unless someone actually does something about it- it will continue for ever. A good solution may be to remove the salary cap altogether then at least you know what everyone’s goals are then and what division they should be in. Leave the egos at the door and show me the money!!
The players crossing to EK would not come cheap dollar and points wise how are EK going to manage the points each week . Not to mention the egos of players promised to play seniors and get payed then getting dropped and having to play seconds footy due to the points limit. I am sure the players will be only to happy too play in the seconds and not get paid .Good luck managing that Pat We all need to get to Ek on a Thursday night for a meal and beer to see that it will be better than going to a circus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope clubs factor in that their maybe 18 rounds next year. If rupertswood won the appeal and move to the EDFL then rumours are they will be in divy 1 eliminating the bye mean clubs will play 18 games not 16. So that figure $5300 per week will drop to about $4700 a game.

Good to see you back Turbo.
We all know many clubs won’t be staying under cap.

Im not a big supporter of the big drop in the salary however do believe it needed to be reduced and that the difference in points between premier and div 1 needs to be a greater margin so div1 clubs play within there means and then if they win promotion they have scope to recruit.

Getting on to my main point. If any player in div1 is getting more than $300-400 then that’s CLEARLY out of control and total mismanagement by club hierarchy, HOWEVER I do understand that clubs needed to move inline to stay competitive but either way it did need to be reigned back in and now is the ideal time to get div1 back in line with the “true” market value.
The only players who should be paid higher than this figure are those who have played good consistent footy at premier level (or equivalent), VFL, AFL. Or some player is considered a playing assistant and maybe doing extra outside the norm and then maybe he gets a bonus.
Any player other than those getting more than >$400 is a complete joke! What have they achieved to be paid that high?? However it’s not the players fault it’s the fault of the clubs..
I’m all for the odd incentive schemes for >80 goals or top 3 B&F etc to reward the better players if you chose this method.

FFS it’s div1 local footy. The difference between div1 and premier is huge..

I hope clubs factor in that their maybe 18 rounds next year. If rupertswood won the appeal and move to the EDFL then rumours are they will be in divy 1 eliminating the bye mean clubs will play 18 games not 16. So that figure $5300 per week will drop to about $4700 a game.

zero football will be played in 2021.

Hearing Zac Winnum from Keilor has signed at Hillside
Good mail Pro.

Is this partly due to the salary cap reduction as Keilor, as per all premier clubs, will need to off load some talent due to the budget. Good result for Hillside who appear to be bouncing back after some losses. So ultimately there list could end up being better than 2019 or at least it appears to have a bit more quality/polish which thry probably lacked in past years.. 🤔

Good mail Pro.

Is this partly due to the salary cap reduction as Keilor, as per all premier clubs, will need to off load some talent due to the budget. Good result for Hillside who appear to be bouncing back after some losses. So ultimately there list could end up being better than 2019 or at least it appears to have a bit more quality/polish which thry probably lacked in past years..

More news to come from Hillside
Some might say that the players that have left in the last 2 yrs to EK is a worry! I see it as a positive. If players want to leave then they should leave because ultimately they will not focus on the task at hand. It’s been proven in many aspects, not just local footy!

More news to come from Hillside
Some might say that the players that have left in the last 2 yrs to EK is a worry! I see it as a positive. If players want to leave then they should leave because ultimately they will not focus on the task at hand. It’s been proven in many aspects, not just local footy!

Yes totally agree. I believe the players left with no hard feelings towards the club and although the club was disappointed to lose these players being homegrown (although Micallef played his juniors at Keilor I believe) 1 point players and going to an opposition club they understood the reasons behind the move and weren’t going to stop them. I believe no clearance was refused which verifies there stance. For HS it’s a great opportunity to reassess and restart and for these players (2 in particular) it can set them up well off field and give them a fresh start as 2 of these 3 have only ever played at Shark Park, so In all honestly it’s probably been best for both club and these 3 players.
Only hearing good things about the kid recruited from Keilor so well done on getting him across.

Funny now actually... with the recruits they have imagine those three stayed? Be a bloody good side.
Yeah but not sure you can could recruit most of these with those 3 still there as just no room left in budget so as I said maybe a good thing for both parties. But it would be funny for those players if HS end’s up having a better year than EK. Not sure that will happen but who knows. It will depends which TEAM is better as a group.. 🤔

Only hearing good things about the kid recruited from Keilor so well done on getting him across.

Yea, good pick up. Small too, but tough and hard at it. Fantastic young man too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back