Autopsy Autopsy vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a massive hope to think that a team at least half full of reserves players is going to beat a decent AFL standard side, the 10 goal loss is about what you would expect.

GC hadn’t won a match for six weeks.

it is not about winning or losing. it is not about who is out. It is about who was playing and how much of a sh*t was shown. Yeah, we were missing a lot of players but the guys who are best 22 didn't show anything. You can't expect the bottom 10 of the list to hold the fort, but you can expect those who are meant to be best 22 to play to a much better standard than we showed.

I’m just going with the fact that we officially bottomed out yesterday. Unfortunately, we’ll most likely, have to bump along on the floor for three more games. After that, it’s “new dawn” time (we hope). Our list is not at a level that can withstand up to 20 injuries. That must be a given. Yesterday, we fielded a team without a horde of best 22 and, also, a few returning from long(ish) injury stints - Larkey, EVW, Daw, LDU. Throw in confidence issues and it’s a miracle we’re not losing by 100+ every week. We know we’re going to hit the draft. We know some hard calls are going to be made. All we can do right now is sit tight and back the team/coach in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m just going with the fact that we officially bottomed out yesterday. Unfortunately, we’ll most likely, have to bump along on the floor for three more games. After that, it’s “new dawn” time (we hope). Our list is not at a level that can withstand up to 20 injuries. That must be a given. Yesterday, we fielded a team without a horde of best 22 and, also, a few returning from long(ish) injury stints - Larkey, EVW, Daw, LDU. Throw in confidence issues and it’s a miracle we’re not losing by 100+ every week. We know we’re going to hit the draft. We know some hard calls are going to be made. All we can do right now is sit tight and back the team/coach in.

With all due respect.. not many lists can handle those amounts of injuries to key personal.. maybe the campaigner reigning premiers are about the only team that can handle that kind of list decimation.. Im not ignorant to the fact theres about a dozen players on the list that serve very little purpose other than a body in a footy jumper

Hi

i don’t think you blokes have a game plan problem. I don’t think you currently have the cattle or desire to implement any game plan. Some of that is injuries, some of it is skill, some of it is speed (overall you probably the slowest team in the afl).

Shaw looked totally exasperated. I’m pretty sure that comes from the above. ESP the desire, not following the game plan and the skill bit.

but players often don’t follow the game plan. I’m pretty sure Essendons game plan wasn’t what was up the previous few weeks and the first half against the hawks. But the second half was probs more what their coaches envisioned.

As bad as it is, imagine if you were Carlton or Melbourne and this sort of performance was the norm for years! No thanks! I see a lot of upside next year as we see more games in to the younger brigade, hopefully have less injuries and believe we do have the makings of a good side. It's never as bad as you think it is and it could always be worse... Melbourne in 2007 won 5 games... then 3, 4, 8, 8, 4, 2, 4, 7 to 2015! Then 5 last year. Carlton from 2014 to last year. 7, 4, 7, 6, 2, 7. By contrast for us I had to go back to 1988/89 to see back to back years of less than 10 wins in a year. And that was 7 & 9. Before that 60's and early 70's. I think some have forgotten how bad we use to be in that pre 70's era. Perspective and history in times like these can help. It will turn and we are club that will fight back.

With all due respect.. not many lists can handle those amounts of injuries to key personal.. maybe the campaigner reigning premiers are about the only team that can handle that kind of list decimation.. Im not ignorant to the fact theres about a dozen players on the list that serve very little purpose other than a body in a footy jumper

Yep, that was my point - however laboured.

Hi

i don’t think you blokes have a game plan problem. I don’t think you currently have the cattle or desire to implement any game plan. Some of that is injuries, some of it is skill, some of it is speed (overall you probably the slowest team in the afl).

Shaw looked totally exasperated. I’m pretty sure that comes from the above. ESP the desire, not following the game plan and the skill bit.

but players often don’t follow the game plan. I’m pretty sure Essendons game plan wasn’t what was up the previous few weeks and the first half against the hawks. But the second half was probs more what their coaches envisioned.
Could be just 2020 but Imagine playing off in a GF, being bullied and beaten that badly when the following year Comes around you become at risk of missing the 8, after a complete gifting of a draft for 3 years and might miss the finals.. I’ll take our position thanks knowing we have a tremendous and rich history.

Last edited by a moderator:

I thought we would lose, but I thought we would put up a fight. The not putting up a fight is the problem i have, not losing the game. We have a s**t record up here at the best of times.

That is a cop-out imo.

The only one missing from the back line is Macmillan and we are not playing Pittard who is available. Realistically Pittard for EVW is probably the only real change there from our best lineup and our backline held up like a wet paper bag.

Cunnington is the ONLY experienced midfielder we are missing. Jacobs hasn't played in years, might as well forget he is on the list. Walker has played 6 games and Thomas 26, it is not like he has been getting a lot of the ball in the middle. Murphy is the only mid we fielded who probably shouldn't be playing.

The midfield didn't fire a shot and we only had one core midfielder missing.

If our midfield is that reliant on Cunnington then we better get comfortable down near the bottom of the ladder.

Our forward line has suffered the most disruption, the ball just didn't go forward enough or with any kind of system or purpose to matter, even if we had our first choice forward line it wouldn't have mattered.

We were older, more experienced, played fewer kids. We need fewer excuses and more accountability for our lack of consistency and games where we just don't bring the effort to run, chase and tackle.

Gold Coast v North Melbourne
10 Ben Ainsworth (GCFC)
7 Noah Anderson (GCFC)
6 Hugh Greenwood (GCFC)
3 Ben King (GCFC)
3 Touk Miller (GCFC)
1 Lachie Weller (GCFC)

Gold Coast v North Melbourne
10 Ben Ainsworth (GCFC)
7 Noah Anderson (GCFC)
6 Hugh Greenwood (GCFC)
3 Ben King (GCFC)
3 Touk Miller (GCFC)
1 Lachie Weller (GCFC)

As expected, we make Ainsworth look like an absolute star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a cop-out imo.

The only one missing from the back line is Macmillan and we are not playing Pittard who is available. Realistically Pittard for EVW is probably the only real change there from our best lineup and our backline held up like a wet paper bag.

Cunnington is the ONLY experienced midfielder we are missing. Jacobs hasn't played in years, might as well forget he is on the list. Walker has played 6 games and Thomas 26, it is not like he has been getting a lot of the ball in the middle. Murphy is the only mid we fielded who probably shouldn't be playing.

The midfield didn't fire a shot and we only had one core midfielder missing.

If our midfield is that reliant on Cunnington then we better get comfortable down near the bottom of the ladder.

Our forward line has suffered the most disruption, the ball just didn't go forward enough or with any kind of system or purpose to matter, even if we had our first choice forward line it wouldn't have mattered.

We were older, more experienced, played fewer kids. We need fewer excuses and more accountability for our lack of consistency and games where we just don't bring the effort to run, chase and tackle.
The Skipper brings nothing? How many games did brown and larkey play together? And yes Cunnington is that good. Tarryn Also had impact in wins last season.. I never count BJ in the conversation.

Its a roll on effect, Cunnington gets the tag and simpkin runs free. Simpkin got the tag and struggled after mid way point. Removing the keystone and its created massive holes and exposed some issues which are now apparent.

ask yourself how many games have we won without Cunnington? Hmmm

As bad as it is, imagine if you were Carlton or Melbourne and this sort of performance was the norm for years! No thanks! I see a lot of upside next year as we see more games in to the younger brigade, hopefully have less injuries and believe we do have the makings of a good side. It's never as bad as you think it is and it could always be worse... Melbourne in 2007 won 5 games... then 3, 4, 8, 8, 4, 2, 4, 7 to 2015! Then 5 last year. Carlton from 2014 to last year. 7, 4, 7, 6, 2, 7. By contrast for us I had to go back to 1988/89 to see back to back years of less than 10 wins in a year. And that was 7 & 9. Before that 60's and early 70's. I think some have forgotten how bad we use to be in that pre 70's era. Perspective and history in times like these can help. It will turn and we are club that will fight back.
I was there in the dark days. One win in 1972 against South Melbourne in front of 7000 people. However in that team was Baker, Dench, Feltham, Greig, Gumbelton, Henshaw and Montgomery. We have enough young players with a huge upside. It all takes time.

The Skipper brings nothing? How many games did brown and larkey play together? And yes Cunnington is that good. Tarryn Also had impact in wins last season.. I never count BJ in the conversation.

Its a roll on effect, Cunnington gets the tag and simpkin runs free. Simpkin got the tag and struggled after mid way point. Removing the keystone and its created massive holes and exposed some issues which are now apparent.

ask yourself how many games have we won without Cunnington? Hmmm

That is a loaded question as Ben has rarely missed a game prior to this year, this year Simpkin and Dumont have carried a lot of the inside load. Jy it seems has been running out of gas, clearances during the first 6 weeks were 4, 7, 8, 7, 5 7 and the last 6 have been 3, 8, 1, 2, 4, 3. It is his breakout year as a midfielder so I expect him to run out of juice.

Anderson had 30 disposals against Collingwood and 9 clearances, 5 tackles. He had 29 disposals against the Bears with 8 clearances, 6 tackles and 7 inside 50s.

He had 20 disposals against the Suns, 2 tackles, 2 clearances, 3 inside 50s.

Dumont vs demons and lions 27/22 disposals, 6/6 tackles, 6/7 clearances
Dumont vs magpies and suns 20/16 disposals, 3/2 tackles, 2/2 clearances

Higgins vs magpies 26 disposals, 3 tackles, 2 clearances
Higgins vs suns 13 disposals, 2 tackles, 0 clearances

It is too simple to say no Cunnington. How can you turn it on against stronger teams and just not give a s**t against a weaker side.

Ziebell was pushed out of the midfield before the season started and didn't go back in even after Cunnington was out injured, he kicked 1 goal and had 2 assists in... 5 games. Given the other outs up forward it would have benefitted us having him in the side but his race is run as a midfielder and it is almost meaningless who is in our forward line given the way we move the ball, Brown could barely get a kick there.

Last edited:
That is a loaded question as Ben has rarely missed a game prior to this year, this year Simpkin and Dumont have carried a lot of the inside load. Jy it seems has been running out of gas, clearances during the first 6 weeks were 4, 7, 8, 7, 5 7 and the last 6 have been 3, 8, 1, 2, 4, 3. It is his breakout year as a midfielder so I expect him to run out of juice.

Anderson had 30 disposals against Collingwood and 9 clearances, 5 tackles. He had 29 disposals against the Bears with 8 clearances, 6 tackles and 7 inside 50s.

It is too simple to say no Cunnington. How can you turn it on against stronger teams and just not give a sh*t against a weaker side.

Ziebell was pushed out of the midfield before the season started and didn't go back in even after Cunnington was out injured, he kicked 1 goal and had 2 assists in... 5 games. Given the other outs up forward it would have benefitted us having him in the side but his race is run as a midfielder and it is almost meaningless who is in our forward line given the way we move the ball, Brown could barely get a kick there.
The team played together in one game this year, St Kilda in round 1.. im not expecting you to remember that far back but Cunners dominated the middle and slotted goals.
As for JZ, he wears his heart on his sleeve, he’s the skipper, the general.. he played 3 games FIT and two games he injured himself in. The presence of your captain makes a big difference on the field, especially if they are respected. Im not saying we would have won the flag what I am saying is we wouldnt be having this discussion. You like to manipulate stats into your opinion but its lacking a lot of substance.
Simpkin quite often had a defensive midfielder wearing him, that would never happen with Cunnington in the side. We’ll see what happens, im not sold on the doom of this year.. i’ll wait till mid year 21 to make my mind up

I was there in the dark days. One win in 1972 against South Melbourne in front of 7000 people. However in that team was Baker, Dench, Feltham, Greig, Gumbelton, Henshaw and Montgomery. We have enough young players with a huge upside. It all takes time.
Well do I remember 1972. I went out to Waverley to watch us play Geelong in round 11 when neither of us had won a match- Geelong pipped us that day. It was worth going to see a match up on the wing between a couple of young stars, Keith Greig and David Clarke, with Greig being the better of the two. Unfortunately i couldn't get to the game when we beat South Melbourne later in the year

Well do I remember 1972. I went out to Waverley to watch us play Geelong in round 11 when neither of us had won a match- Geelong pipped us that day. It was worth going to see a match up on the wing between a couple of young stars, Keith Greig and David Clarke, with Greig being the better of the two. Unfortunately i couldn't get to the game when we beat South Melbourne later in the year
I was at that game. I remember our butcher joking with Dad that we would be the only ones there.

It is too simple to say no Cunnington. How can you turn it on against stronger teams and just not give a sh*t against a weaker side.

Tas, I’ve used your rationale on numerous occasions during the games when I’m at my most triggered. However, ultimately, I can’t get away from the fact that 20 injuries is just plain unsupportable at the end of the day - particularly , when you’re a middling team looking to the future, to begin with. Thats 50% of our playing list - let that sink in. We might as well have been fielding our VFL team. Time will tell, I suppose.

Tas, I’ve used your rationale on numerous occasions during the games when I’m at my most triggered. However, ultimately, I can’t get away from the fact that 20 injuries is just plain unsupportable at the end of the day - particularly , when you’re a middling team looking to the future, to begin with. Thats 50% of our playing list - let that sink in. We might as well have been fielding our VFL team. Time will tell, I suppose.

Either I am not doing a good job explaining myself or people are misjudging what I am saying. I KNOW we are not as good a team without Cunnington, Brown, etc. It is why I thought we would lose. However, I am judging the players who put the jumper on and played. We had a lot of players out injured last week and the week before and the last 6 weeks but we had a crack against Brisbane, we weren't as good but still put in against Collingwood. The same guys who played the last three weeks, the senior players, there was chalk and cheese difference between work rate and effort.

They had 45 inside 50s and had 31 scoring shots. They had an inside 50 efficiency of 75.6%, that is disgraceful.

We got smashed 37 vs 21 in clearances, 131 vs 113 contested possessions, 178 vs 149 uncontested possessions.

We laid 30 tackles for the game.

This effort can't be condoned.

2 observations

1. How many games have you watched and thought “We are really switched on here”. I can think of only 3 and one was against the Crows.

2. It’s hard to pot guys like Anderson and Jy but both of them along with Dumont just seem to give the ball up way to easy when they get any bit of pressure. As soon as the tackle is there it’s give up the ball without any purpose or even in a spot where a team mate can get it.

The team played together in one game this year, St Kilda in round 1.. im not expecting you to remember that far back but Cunners dominated the middle and slotted goals.
As for JZ, he wears his heart on his sleeve, he’s the skipper, the general.. he played 3 games FIT and two games he injured himself in. The presence of your captain makes a big difference on the field, especially if they are respected. Im not saying we would have won the flag what I am saying is we wouldnt be having this discussion.

Simpkin quite often had a defensive midfielder wearing him, that would never happen with Cunnington in the side. We’ll see what happens, im not sold on the doom of this year.. i’ll wait till mid year 21 to make my mind up

You are just skipping over the point of my replies, you are focused on who isn't in the side, I am telling you that the senior guys in the side played like dogshit compared to how they played last week and the week before, that is why we got done and made to look pathetic.

I expected under Shaw win or lose that we would put the effort in.

Simpkln wasn't tagged against the Suns, Swallow tagged LDU. I am not even blaming Simpkin or LDU, it was the senior mids who all played shockers.

You like to manipulate stats into your opinion but its lacking a lot of substance.

How am i manipulating the basic stats of players getting the ball or tackling? These are basic stats indicative of how you went.

If you can get the ball against Lions or Pies you can get it against the Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back