Bumped We don't play footy to lose - autopsy vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the f* would anyone even consider tanking is just beyond me. It would really undermine our integrity as a club, the players integrity, and of course Clarkos integrity as a coach. And it would last a lifetime.

I am so glad we got that win! Just for the players confidence heading into the break, and also without that whole losing streak for the next 6 months. Eddie Ford and Darcy Tucker were absolutely delighted.

Why the f* would anyone even consider tanking is just beyond me. It would really undermine our integrity as a club, the players integrity, and of course Clarkos integrity as a coach. And it would last a lifetime.

I am so glad we got that win! Just for the players confidence heading into the break, and also without that whole losing streak for the next 6 months. Eddie Ford and Darcy Tucker were absolutely delighted.

I can understand why, the last three clubs that tanked have ended up with 7 or so premierships between them and there isn't anyone who has put an asterisk next to any of those flags.

People have the attention span of ants, as long as you don't win the flag the year after you tanked then nobody is going to remember or give a s**t.

I don't agree with it, but that is the landscape and it is why some people want to abuse the system.

Tough Crowd here

Personally i loved watching that. Some of the skill on display was sublime compared to where we've been and just about all of it from players 25 and under.
Best thing of all was that the players can see that they can win

ps couldnt give a sh&t about the no 1 pick.Honestly every year we hear about some generational talent .
Can people not remember we've done alright with picks 2&3 in the very recent past !

I can understand why, the last three clubs that tanked have ended up with 7 or so premierships between them and there isn't anyone who has put an asterisk next to any of those flags.

People have the attention span of ants, as long as you don't win the flag the year after you tanked then nobody is going to remember or give a s**t.

I don't agree with it, but that is the landscape and it is why some people want to abuse the system.
Without starting a blue, who are your 3 tanking clubs with 7 flags? The genuine tankers were Carlton and Melbourne - Carlton still haven’t recovered and Melbourne got a flag after they got rid of Connolly and co. and stopped tanking. I guess it depends on your definition - I don’t count hawthorn as tankers as they just cut their list hard and traded out whoever they could get picks for

Im not going to lie, last week I was happy to say yay we got Harley, then on Saturday as we got in front and continued to play footy we have seen glimpses of through the year and continue to stay in front (even though they may have checked out and also not wanted to go up a place on the ladder) and could see how excited the boys were I was so happy for them to get the win. Hubby kept saying we WANT/NEED to win and I agreed. Going into 2024 knowing that we dont have that losing streak hanging over our heads as got to be a millstone that has been lifted and the happiness throughout the club was there for all to see.
There are so many positives about us, we just need some help. The backline was better for not having McDonald and Ziebull in it, the run from the backline was evident. There were players who shone like they haven't before Lazzaro, Perez and they will only get better. I hope Goldy goes through one more year I think Xerri needs him after having an interrupted year. I cant wait for Charlie Comben, George, Cam Z and LDU to be in the team and see what happens then.
Clarko back where he belongs and a full preseason with the players should see some changes and I can see onwards and upwards, bring on 2024

Without starting a blue, who are your 3 tanking clubs with 7 flags? The genuine tankers were Carlton and Melbourne - Carlton still haven’t recovered and Melbourne got a flag after they got rid of Connolly and co. and stopped tanking. I guess it depends on your definition - I don’t count hawthorn as tankers as they just cut their list hard and traded out whoever they could get picks for

I am not sure Carlton tanked, they were just genuinely s**t and had a s**t player culture.

Melbourne, were fined for it... although AFL had to pay their own fine.
Richmond and Hawthorn tanked, their coached admitted to it, made positional changes and took players off the ground to try and throw games.

One of the more awkward games to post about for obvious reasons.

For the long term good, I wanted to lose. And I wasn't even feeling that way when JHFF was on the table.

But death by a thousand cuts, on reflection we'd had so many empty dead rubber wins - from Laidley to Scott to Shaw - that never really translated to any of this much vaunted successful culture.

While every man and his dog points out LDU at pick #4, how about the respective fortunes of the clubs that played off in the "Cam Rayner Cup"?

Losing for the #1 pick didn't exactly destroy Brisbane's will to win over the next 6 seasons. Meanwhile we've plunged for new and ever murkier depths ever since.

So against all normal instinct this time I felt the best long term outcome for the NMFC was to be able to get Harley Reid plus utilise at least 2 other 2023 1st rounders.

Of course watching the game, seeing Eddie, Charlie, the more fluid ball movement, Larkey's game, the validation of effort over several closes losses, the whole club celebration at the end - has softened and probably even removed the initial sting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that yesterday showed what we are aiming for.

Lazarro in the middle and Goater on the wing changed a lot of the dynamic because they can run. That's why we are looking at the likes of Stephens, Henry, McKercher etc.

When you have legit runners pushing through the likes of Phillips, Powell and Simpkin look a lot better because they have options by hand.

The side effect is also that Sheezel is suddenly pushing much higher up the ground because there is space for him to make his one-twos through the middle and he is now kicking into the forward 50.
Lazzaro surprised me, he can actually play, a role, and he did it well since he was given a chance and not just expected to be a burst player. He set up two goals.

Hallmarks of Clarko coached sides are players that use the ball well.

I think you will find players like McDonald will either need to learn new roles or be weeded out pretty quickly.

We can’t progress forward when we have players like him linking up to distribute out of the back half.

As much as it sounds harsh, having Jack and McDonald with the ball in their hands in the back 50 has hurt us. You just see the complexion of our ball movement change when players like Sheezel get it in their hands.

I’m not trying to shitcan players that have been great for our club, but the game the way it’s played now demand that you have elite ball users in the back half.
I don't think you're being harsh at all. I think you're spot on. More to the point I think it's sticking out like you know what. We're not going to progress by being nice, I didn't think Perez was that great but the young guy's are leading the way, as they did in 72, and 93. Sometimes you need to show some faith in the young guys and be honest about some guys you've been relying on. Jack knew it.

For the long term good, I wanted to lose. And I wasn't even feeling that way when JHFF was on the table.
But death by a thousand cuts, on reflection we'd had so many empty dead rubber wins - from Laidley to Scott to Shaw - that never really translated to any of this much vaunted successful culture.
While every man and his dog points out LDU at pick #4, how about the respective fortunes of the clubs that played off in the "Cam Rayner Cup"?
Losing for the #1 pick didn't exactly destroy Brisbane's will to win over the next 6 seasons. Meanwhile we've plunged for new and ever murkier depths ever since.
So against all normal instinct this time I felt the best long term outcome for the NMFC was to be able to get Harley Reid plus utilise at least 2 other 2023 1st rounders.
Of course watching the game, seeing Eddie, Charlie, the more fluid ball movement, Larkey's game, the validation of effort over several closes losses, the whole club celebration at the end - has softened and probably even removed the initial sting.
You could mount an argument that the Lions only started to turn it around when the Hodge/Birchall/Neale came on board vs having Rayner.
I was torn because of the talent level of Reid and hearing Dermie say "if they win next week it will set them back 3 years" made me really anguish over it.
If its a Hutchy mouthpiece then wgaf but when it's an intelligent footy person like Montagna or Dermie you tend to listen a bit more to it.
But then hearing Tony Jones say Reid could've been the messiah made me think we'd be repeating past mistakes from the Scott era lol.
I don't think we could've tanked that game anyway as it would've been way too obvious and potentially lead to punishment and reduced assistance.
It also ends the narrative of tanking for no. 1 pick and assistance that many media scribes were already pushing like Cornhole and Barrett.
I don't think Viney and Clarko wanted to repeat that losing culture at Dees as it sets you back 10 years vs 5 years in terms of a winning culture.
Whilst Reid would've been great from a talent, star factor and marketing point of view, we should get another great player at pick 2 without the level of pressure on them that Reid will have. In reality, we were the 2nd worst team so the result is probably right in the end.

This was nothing but a ‘nourishment’ win.

For who though, I have no ******* clue.

When you looked at the players faces after the game, they were ecstatic. That's a bit more than a nourishment win.
You know what, instead of arguing it. Let’s aim to use round one next year as a marker.
If we win or show as much competitiveness as we did for round one this year, we’ll say there was some carry over effect and they’re building.

If we cop it something stupid, I’m going to say that under performing gc team gave the guys a false sense of security.

Feels weird winning a game convincingly.
Yeah. Long time outside of falling over the line a handful of times. Probably Carlton in July 2021 the last comfortable, controlled win. Crazy.

This win aged well :( Hindsight is 20/20 vision however this could be the most devasting win in the club's history. Cannot believe it happened on reflection, was almost like the gods were against us.

Reid already showing signs to be an all time great and part of inspiring Eagles back to winning form.. also an instant cult hero and hugely marketable for a club already wealthy ... can only dream now about him and Harry et al being the future of NMFC...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back