Bumped We don't play footy to lose - autopsy vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that yesterday showed what we are aiming for.

Lazarro in the middle and Goater on the wing changed a lot of the dynamic because they can run. That's why we are looking at the likes of Stephens, Henry, McKercher etc.

When you have legit runners pushing through the likes of Phillips, Powell and Simpkin look a lot better because they have options by hand.

The side effect is also that Sheezel is suddenly pushing much higher up the ground because there is space for him to make his one-twos through the middle and he is now kicking into the forward 50.

I hate to say this but Jack and Lmac out, Perez, Dawson, Bergman in was a big part of how much better we were today.

It reminded me of last year when Hall missed the last game and Perez and Goater started so well of the HBF.

The movement out of the back half was first class and the absence of Jack, Luke and Hall really noticeable.

Of course, supercoach is a very, very flawed metric. But all of our top 10 players in terms of supercoach yesterday were 25 or younger, most were 23 and younger and 6 were 21 and younger.

1693097713132.png

This is without LDU, Zurhaar and Wardlaw as well, lots of positives in this one. Now, let's roll with the momentum into next season.

Of course, supercoach is a very, very flawed metric. But all of our top 10 players in terms of supercoach yesterday were 25 or younger, most were 23 and younger and 6 were 21 and younger.

View attachment 1786872

This is without LDU, Zurhaar and Wardlaw as well, lots of positives in this one. Now, let's roll with the momentum into next season.
2023 - A changing of the guard.

2023 - A changing of the guard.
In the cold light of day that is the most exciting thing.

Next year if everything runs smoothly, the following players are either going to be in that side or placing pressure on players for their spot.

LDU (gun)
Zurhaar (could be anything in a good side)
Comben (gives us better structure)
Wardlaw (gun)
George (if he matches the hype look out)
Plus potential draftees

That’s a huge injection of class and talent into a side before we even look at organic growth from the young players on the list.

McDonald should be battling Archer for the small lockdown spot in the 22 next year. We’ll have really taken a step when he is on the fringes of the 23.
Hallmarks of Clarko coached sides are players that use the ball well.

I think you will find players like McDonald will either need to learn new roles or be weeded out pretty quickly.

We can’t progress forward when we have players like him linking up to distribute out of the back half.

As much as it sounds harsh, having Jack and McDonald with the ball in their hands in the back 50 has hurt us. You just see the complexion of our ball movement change when players like Sheezel get it in their hands.

I’m not trying to shitcan players that have been great for our club, but the game the way it’s played now demand that you have elite ball users in the back half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie Ford has really come into his own.

Larkey is a chance for the Coleman in coming years especially as we improve and gets more supply.

So happy to win
Sucks we may miss out on Reid but whoever we get with Pick 2 & 3 will also be guns.
We got Sheezel and Wardlaw with picks 2 and 3 what, nine months ago?

McDonald should be battling Archer for the small lockdown spot in the 22 next year. We’ll have really taken a step when he is on the fringes of the 23.

Tbh he should have been dropped multiple times this year.

Unfortunately he won’t ever be out of the best 22. He’s such a liked character at the club 🙄

North win our last game after 20 losses and we can see the potential in so many of our young players. * lose their last 2 games by 190 points, and after telling themselves they were finals bound, are calling for a cull. My * supporter friends are totally devastated and I’m walking around smiling looking forward to 2024.
Love the irony!

Ok I’ll admit it. I was confused going into this game with the “do we just lose to retain pick 1 because what’s the difference anyway” vs “win for morale, confidence, belief etc.” Well I can unequivocally say that I am so, so grateful for the latter! What an amazing feeling seeing the players, staff etc so happy. What a great end to a forgettable season. Onwards and upwards rooboys - 2024 and beyond!! 💙🤍💙🤍

Really have to wonder how much impact that did have - or just a coincidence.

That Gold Coast were off the boil helped, but jeez we looked so much quicker and more able to open with out the slow play those three are known for.

No trademark Jack hack kick round the corner turnovers either.

Bloody missed the game last yesterday was checking my phone regularly.
Just watched the match on the Kayos.
Nearly shed a tear when the song was played at the end of the game.
We needed this win, don't care about Reid or pick 1.
Yes it wasn't a high pressure/ intensity type contest, so what. A great platform to launch our 2024 campaign.

Had a few out as well.

Bloody missed the game last yesterday was checking my phone regularly.
Just watched the match on the Kayos.
Nearly shed a tear when the song was played at the end of the game.
We needed this win, don't care about Reid or pick 1.
Yes it wasn't a high pressure/ intensity type contest, so what. A great platform to launch our 2024 campaign.

Had a few out as well.

Guys like Ford are going to be so invested now. It was a huge win in the circumstances of where we are.

I think there is only 1 true sign if this win really has an effect on players and culture.

If Ben re-signs it will truly show it effects the playing group!

Think if he still wants out it shows it has done little

Hallmarks of Clarko coached sides are players that use the ball well.

I think you will find players like McDonald will either need to learn new roles or be weeded out pretty quickly.

We can’t progress forward when we have players like him linking up to distribute out of the back half.

I reckon as others come through the chat will be had with McDonald to simplify his game.

Absolutely can't be the distributor and should not always be going for the 55m kick as he's simply not good enough to hit them (not many are).

I think with a better team and some honest coaching he can play a role in the side.

A dirty '23 season for McDonald, although I reckon we get behind now it's said and done. Let's see how he goes in '24.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back