Bumped We don't play footy to lose - autopsy vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I went into the game with mixed feelings but by the end I was just so happy for them. I’m also having no trouble rationalising that we are likely to still come out of the draft very well, and that days like today inject optimism into the players and coaches we have and to anyone we might target.

Larkey deserved a day out like that, Lazzaro and Dawson and Berg deserved a game to show what they can do. WilPhill and Tom Powell had probably their best games for the season, everyone played their part. They could have folded when they got several goals down after a slow start but they did the opposite, and in the end they found they knew how to win one. Sheezel is extraordinary and Thomas is wonderful and there were passages of play today I’d like to bottle.

I could have focused on the upside if we’d lost, but losing is still horrible and losing on purpose is a deal with the devil. Very glad we didn’t do it.

100%

I don’t think a win or a loss in the scheme of things is going to make or break our future.

Reid would have been nice, but who knows the player taken at 2 could be every bit as good if not better.

If our fortunes were riding on the back of one 18 year old then we are in more trouble than I thought.
These are bang on

Both the win and pick 1 are being overrated. All I know is this win has no meaning when only one side wanted to win. If Reid is a one in a generation player, it will hurt for ever.
On what do you base the idea that he's better than LDU, Sheeze, TT, Larkey etc?

And if he is so what?

We have enough insane talent that one player won't make that much difference any more. Compared to 2020 the list is in much better shape now.

A year of stability under Clarko is worth more than any player in this year's draft and this win will help on that front.

Because what worked today was the run and use off the backline from those young VFL guys playing what I hope is the game Clarko is teaching them.

Sent from my CPH2069 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

In this day and age of conspiracies, conflicts of interests, dodgy deals etc in AFL land, am I wrong go suggest that the AFL might have had a quiet word about our ‘assistance package’ should we finish 2nd instead of 1st? The howls of protests in club land was already at fever pitch because we were getting picks 1, 2 PA’s first rounder and that top 5 gun kid from tassie blah blah blah. Maybe it would be a far more easier sell to get some ‘assistance’ if we finished 2nd……

Anyway in the end glad we won and maintained some sort of dignity and respect as a club and avoided the media whores bashing us about tanking for the next decade.

Larkey should be captain next year. He’d kick 100 at a Collingwood or Port.
Why should Larkey be captain?

We actually need Kolby McKercher more than Reid. I have never been more obsessed with a player’s outside carry, disposal and hunger for the sport. He’s so natural. I know Ried is an incredible utility and multiple players in one, but you need to build top notch role players first. Of course I’d take Reid, but ending up with picks 2 and 3 is so fine with me. McKercher, Watson, get the GC pick and take OSullivan. Something like that. Take Curtin if WC don’t play ball. It’s a funny year, we could do with every one of the projected top 5.

We really needed to know we can win and we did that. The boys walk away holding their heads up. If the club really wants Reid, we can get him. We have the the picks to make it happen.

3 number 1 picks have played in a flag, so that's not a great incentive to lose says the quadruple premiership winning coach.

Good enough for me 👍
It's actually four, but literally only one who played a premiership with the same team who 'earned' the #1 pick - that was Des Headland to Brisbane 1998 (played in their 2002 flag). They had a 5-16-1 record that year (relatively strong for a last-placed team), had played finals the year prior and would play finals the year after - so one of the most atypical wooden spoon teams in the draft era, not exactly an example to follow.

The others?
Luke Hodge - drafted to a Hawthorn side who'd just played in a prelim; they acquired #1 from Fremantle, who haven't won a flag...
Drew Banfield - drafted to a West Coast side who'd just won the flag; they acquired #1 from Sydney, who took 13 years from then to win a flag...
Tom Boyd - traded to a team who won the least replicable flag in recent memory, played the fewest games of any #1 pick this century, and the #1 pick was by GWS, who haven't won a flag...

Either way, Clarkson's point is an accurate one - the hype around #1 picks is exactly and only that, hype. Delighted to have won today and broken the losing streak instead - hopefully the start of something much brighter to come.

You beauty we never won the spoon
Larkey was wonderful
Scott/sheez gave us great drive

Before the game I hoped that Phillips/Powell/Bergman/goater showed something and they all played well.
Loved our quick ball movement
Curtis could be anything
Ford is building into a player

Either way, Clarkson's point is an accurate one - the hype around #1 picks is exactly and only that, hype. Delighted to have won today and broken the losing streak instead - hopefully the start of something much brighter to come.
The win today would've given some much-needed belief to our young players. Getting the same lackluster result every week when (unfortunately) it was senior players letting them down, can take its toll on the confidence of the group.

They should be given the keys (they pretty much were today) and bolstered by the next few years of young talent and mature-age recruitment. If Larkey can kick nine goals (could've easily had 10) as the single main target, imagine the possibilities with a better small-forward setup and another tall target.

The potential is very exciting, but still early days. We should improve next year.

You beauty we never won the spoon
Larkey was wonderful
Scott/sheez gave us great drive

Before the game I hoped that Phillips/Powell/Bergman/goater showed something and they all played well.
Loved our quick ball movement
Curtis could be anything
Ford is building into a player
Ford is going to be so good. Suddenly the R1 2024 forward line with him, PC, Zurhaar and Larkey in it sounds exciting to watch

Well done on the win guys, a winning culture is more important than a draft pick, there are countless idiots on our board also wanting us to lose tonight.
They want Reid whos said he wants to stay in Melb over Curtin?
Although it probably makes sense to trade pick 1 to us for pick2 and a sweetener.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You ain’t getting 2 top 5 picks mate. If we wanted Reid that badly we would have flown the white flag today. You’ll either take the WA lad or take our #2 + Port pick. If you think you’re getting the McKay compo (if we get it) you’re in dream land.
Two plus the Port pick is too much. Id entertain a swap our future 2nd for their future 3rd but not much more. When Reid does a JHF to them they'll want Curtin.

I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to think about today.

I was leaning towards the side that todays win wasn’t a priority as the sugar hit lasts 5 minutes and Pick 1 gives us the choice, but I also think that it wasn’t disastrous to win either.

Curtin and Watson will be very good additions and Sanders could be the cherry on top.
We got to practise playing a great style of footy against another side and do it well. We had heaps of problems but we still played our game really well and beat them because of it.

That's important. It doesn't matter who it was against its the fact we made it work and won easily. You can say how s**t the Gold Coast were but we still made it work. We were s**t alot of the time too but when we weren't we were a much better side, and when we were we were able to cover our mistakes. And both sides were missing some of their most important players.

The fact is we've lost to worse teams so that's an improvement. We didn't just fall over the line either. We won easily in the end.

On what do you base the idea that he's better than LDU, Sheeze, TT, Larkey etc?

And if he is so what?

We have enough insane talent that one player won't make that much difference any more. Compared to 2020 the list is in much better shape now.

A year of stability under Clarko is worth more than any player in this year's draft and this qin will help on that front.

Because what worked today was the run and use off the backline from those young VFL guys playing what I hope is the game Clarko is teaching them.

Sent from my CPH2069 using BigFooty.com mobile app
You're right and i never bought into our list was that bad and we need to get rid of 20 players. Seeing how we could move the ball from defense to attack with a younger more dynamic team without Warlord or LDU was fantastic.
Im still hopeful a deal is done as both North and WC will face flight risks with Curtin and Reid. Either way we get another 2-3 quality picks to inject into this team.

3 number 1 picks have played in a flag, so that's not a great incentive to lose says the quadruple premiership winning coach.

Good enough for me 👍
Do you're saying Clarko has won more flags than all the number one picks ever, combined?

LOL.

Perspective bro. Unreal.

:thumbsu:

The Rd 24 Award winners have been announced:

The 'Cultured Left Foot Award' goes to ... Paul Curtis.

The 'I'm Not The New Ted Larsen Award' goes to ... Aidan Corr.

The 'Footballing Lazarus Award' has been provisionally awarded to both Kallan Dawson and Charlie Lazzaro.

The 'My Other Foot Is Having An Existential Crisis Of Faith Award' goes to ... Paul Curtis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back