Bumped We don't play footy to lose - autopsy vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll admit, I was torn during the week about whether I wanted us to win or lose today. In the end, I couldn't stomach the thought of a third straight wooden spoon and going into the off season with a 21 game losing streak.

Sure, perhaps Gold Coast dropped intensity after half time, but I still enjoyed seeing some great link up play from our young players, and Larkey having a day out. Also hope that the line that had apparently been put through Dawson was written in pencil as I felt he showed more than enough to go around again, especially given Logue will miss most of 24 you'd imagine, and McKay seemingly gone.

Yes, it may have been a sugar hit, but it had been too long enjoying that all to rare feeling of a win and being able to lap up all the post match coverage and seeing a few of the lads celebrating their first ever win.

I'm also confused by some reactions here to us being relegated to draft pick 2 (as it currently sits). It's still going to allow us to select a really good player.

Last edited:
People need to get a bit serious. As much as everyone loves a win, that Gold Coast side was pathetic and couldn’t be ****ed half the time.

Happy for people to enjoy the win, but don’t pretend that Gold Coast played a big part in that result.
They got within 3 goals in the last and we put the foot on the throat, something we haven’t done for years.

Paul Curtis’ (Lindsay style) crumb & snap sealed the deal.

I love winning so I’ll take it 💙🤍

No in s*t. Our captain kicked a goal and celebrated like he’s putting his team into a ***** grand final.
Absolute dickhead.

The captain, not you.

Again. Where was this s**t all season?

They go on holidays now on a high like they’ve achieved something that took hard work, effort and resilience…

And we’re all left here with our dcks in our hand trying to workout what the * just happened..

Absolute dickhead.

The captain, not you.

Again. Where was this s**t all season?

They go on holidays now on a high like they’ve achieved something that took hard work, effort and resilience…

And we’re all left here with our dcks in our hand trying to workout what the * just happened..
Embarrassing. Thats what it is.

Anyone that doesn’t feel this way is an absolute mug.
Working Office Space GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although watching wc v crow it's 4 points crows way in 2nd....what a topsy turvy end to the season coming up..
What's brilliant is we get some quality kids through the door ...regardless of outcome...
We would have Curtain and Reid if we won the spoon. Both of em. But now we have a little morale booster instead of genuine ******* footballers… yay, wooo hoop, * yeah Kangas, what a thrilling ******* win and achievement. What an awesome display of grit and determination. So proud of the team I pour hundreds and hundreds of dollars into each year.

I went into the game with mixed feelings but by the end I was just so happy for them. I’m also having no trouble rationalising that we are likely to still come out of the draft very well, and that days like today inject optimism into the players and coaches we have and to anyone we might target.

Larkey deserved a day out like that, Lazzaro and Dawson and Berg deserved a game to show what they can do. WilPhill and Tom Powell had probably their best games for the season, everyone played their part. They could have folded when they got several goals down after a slow start but they did the opposite, and in the end they found they knew how to win one. Sheezel is extraordinary and Thomas is wonderful and there were passages of play today I’d like to bottle.

I could have focused on the upside if we’d lost, but losing is still horrible and losing on purpose is a deal with the devil. Very glad we didn’t do it.

I went into the game with mixed feelings but by the end I was just so happy for them. I’m also having no trouble rationalising that we are likely to still come out of the draft very well, and that days like today inject optimism into the players and coaches we have and to anyone we might target.

Larkey deserved a day out like that, Lazzaro and Dawson and Berg deserved a game to show what they can do. WilPhill and Tom Powell had probably their best games for the season, everyone played their part. They could have folded when they got several goals down after a slow start but they did the opposite, and in the end they found they knew how to win one. Sheezel is extraordinary and Thomas is wonderful and there were passages of play today I’d like to bottle.

I could have focused on the upside if we’d lost, but losing is still horrible and losing on purpose is a deal with the devil. Very glad we didn’t do it.
100%

I don’t think a win or a loss in the scheme of things is going to make or break our future.

Reid would have been nice, but who knows the player taken at 2 could be every bit as good if not better.

If our fortunes were riding on the back of one 18 year old then we are in more trouble than I thought.

I get the frustration of getting a win . Why the heck and yes l was filthy .. ill put my hand up and say l had a few choice words as l was in transit on a bus...and not near a tv....this was brought on by my mates texting me saying wtf.... i think l threw my phone at the nearest seat and let out an audible F^%$#@ ......we as a club were / are in a no win situation as the media belted us all week ...and now they are mocking the win.
For that l have a deep seething hate for the media and l hope to repay in kind in the not to distant future ... .however l get the importance of a win..a F%%% you to this media. How can l, with my inital reaction not admire the bag of 9 from nick..which l watched on the highlights....even if fans are bloody frustrated including myself....that was a brilliant solo effort regardless of what lm feeling
The fact that a game is still being played which will decide our position still has a few spanners to throw our way ..
Emotions are well and truly off the charts tonight and as a supporting group it's totally understandable...
What kids we get ...crap l don't know..what's certain it's quality coming in, and for that lm bloody greatful as we dam well need it.
Who knows what plays out in wa tonight and in draft season .
But for now some calm heads in here are required. The process is out of our hands and I'll back in the team led by viney overseeing suggestions of who we take...

Great post.

What we saw out there today was the future of this footy club.

Great post.

What we saw out there today was the future of this footy club.
I think what was telling was how much better we looked without senior players dragging the team down.

As much as I have loved Jack, it was refreshing to not see the hack out of the 50 constantly.

I feel like today was reward for consistent effort since Round 19. The last 6 games of this season we've demonstrated ball movement cleaner and with more method since... I don't even know. Our defensive structure has been very good over this period of time too barring what seems like periods throughout matches (mostly second halves + red time) where we fall asleep.

And so the issue before today was the consistency throughout the game - we got off to a slow start today but even then, I felt like they were just making the most of their chances and it was a matter of time before we got reward for effort.

I'm feeling stupidly bullish about next year considering how good most of the last month and a half has looked barring some lapses.

Given how bad Gold Coast were for most of the game, it would've taken some 2009 Melbourne style shenanigans to lose today. Then you're looking at fines for the club, and potentially bans for Clarko and Viney.

LMac and JZ have been warriors for the club, but we looked much cleaner, and more dynamic down there without them. Had some great passages coming off half back.
Was good to see blokes running for one another and getting the overlap run and handball to drive us forward. Was far better than the usual stodge city down there.

A win today doesn't mean a whole lot in the overall scheme of things, but good to see smiles on the young blokes faces. Especially Eddie Ford after 21 straight losses, think he gets his rising star nom this week as well.

Souva was brilliant, 9.3 and 2 goal assists (looking at you AA selectors), was as close to perfect game from a key forward as you get. Especially on a handy player like Collins as well

WillPhil, Tommy Powell and Laz all played career best games, with more time on the ball to show what they can do. Sheez and TT were all class. Sky is the limit for both of them, just need a few to go along for the ride with them.

The difference between 2&3 and 1&2, is negligible. The history of the draft shows us that, the hype of the number 1 draft pick every year rarely results in them being the best player of the class. We'll get 2 top class talents and hopefully a 3rd with Sanders.
And who knows West Coke may well win for Shuey and Hurn anyway, they're in front atm

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back