Bumped We don't play footy to lose - autopsy vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

This win aged well :( Hindsight is 20/20 vision however this could be the most devasting win in the club's history. Cannot believe it happened on reflection, was almost like the gods were against us.

Reid already showing signs to be an all time great and part of inspiring Eagles back to winning form.. also an instant cult hero and hugely marketable for a club already wealthy ... can only dream now about him and Harry et al being the future of NMFC...

This is absolutely a false narrative.

Anyone advocating that we tanked this game sets aside the absolute merciless position the AFL would have taken with us for tanking.

Melbourne were fined half a million dollars.

We would have been fined more. Been given zero draft assistance and likely had our first pick taken off us.

the idea that we could just lose this game and it all woulda worked out just fine is complete and utter f***ing nonsense.

I mean this board seems all in on doom spiralling but play out the consequneces of what you are saying.

We'd have copped somewhere between what Melbourne did for tanking and what Carlton did for cheating the Salary cap.

I mean this board seems all in on doom spiralling
im legit worried that when we do get good again some posters will lose all meaning in life because they can't "vent" on this board and are incapable of feeling or expressing happiness

Anyone advocating that we tanked this game sets aside the absolute merciless position the AFL would have taken with us for tanking.

We would have been fined more. Been given zero draft assistance and likely had our first pick taken off us.

the idea that we could just lose this game and it all woulda worked out just fine is complete and utter f***ing nonsense.

I mean this board seems all in on doom spiralling but play out the consequneces of what you are saying.

We'd have copped somewhere between what Melbourne did for tanking and what Carlton did for cheating the Salary cap.
We couldn't possibly have lost that game without alarm bells ringing....

At the time I was all for losing it, but GC were running around in party hats knocking back pina coladas.

We would've had to stick Larkey at FB and run with 16 on the ground....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

im legit worried that when we do get good again some posters will lose all meaning in life because they can't "vent" on this board and are incapable of feeling or expressing happiness
Don't worry they will always find a way; "Can't believe we only won by 16 goals really should have been 20. I know Phillips had 46 possessions a 3 goals but bloody hell Logan McDonald kicked 4 goals for West Coast still think we should have drafted him imagine him and Larkey. And before you reply, yes I know that means Sellers most likely wouldn't be playing but I reckon McDonald would easily cover Sellers 50 goals a year. And don't get me started on Harley Reid the kid is a beast sure McKercher had 34 possessions and 12 kms gained but I still can't help but wish we'd tanked that final game against Gold Coast back in 2023. I guess playing in the 2027 Grand Final is some sort of compensation"

Don't worry they will always find a way; "Can't believe we only won by 16 goals really should have been 20. I know Phillips had 46 possessions a 3 goals but bloody hell Logan McDonald kicked 4 goals for West Coast still think we should have drafted him imagine him and Larkey. And before you reply, yes I know that means Sellers most likely wouldn't be playing but I reckon McDonald would easily cover Sellers 50 goals a year. And don't get me started on Harley Reid the kid is a beast sure McKercher had 34 possessions and 12 kms gained but I still can't help but wish we'd tanked that game against Gold Coast back in 2023. I guess playing in the 2027 Grand Final is some sort of compensation"
It's so bloody boring to hear those same talking points. I'm as frustrated and shattered as every other North Supporter, but if anyone thinks Logan McDonald or Harley Reid would've magically transformed our senior core into World Beaters, they are incredibly naïve.

Its not about us tanking, its about GC tanking.
Might want to check they didnt get an end of season trip donation from WC.

I cant help but think we couldve easily had something like JHF, Sheezel, Reid and one of McKercher or Duursma.

Its not about us tanking, its about GC tanking.
Might want to check they didnt get an end of season trip donation from WC.

I cant help but think we couldve easily had something like JHF, Sheezel, Reid and one of McKercher or Duursma.
JHF looks good at Port - he never played that footy for us and was never going to. Maybe we could've kept him, he would've left anyway by now and we wouldn't have gotten Wardlaw + Goad for him. Absolutely pointless and ridiculous to wonder what could've been there, we already know.

Last edited:
This win aged well :( Hindsight is 20/20 vision however this could be the most devasting win in the club's history. Cannot believe it happened on reflection, was almost like the gods were against us.

Reid already showing signs to be an all time great and part of inspiring Eagles back to winning form.. also an instant cult hero and hugely marketable for a club already wealthy ... can only dream now about him and Harry et al being the future of NMFC...
Well there's the worst post of the year.

JHF looks good at Port - we never played that footy for us and was never going to. Maybe we could've kept him, he would've left anyway by now and we wouldn't have gotten Wardlaw + Goad for him. Absolutely pointless and ridiculous to wonder what could've been there, we already know.
Yeah i know, but he was on our list and all it would've taken was a different attitude from him.
But damn they'd complement each other beautifully. Reid breaking tackles, JHF with his burst, both great above their heads and both more than capable playing in the F50. Which would be work well with Powell, LDU, Phillips and Simpkin.
I really dont care if its pointless or ridiculous as you say, ill ponder whatever i feel like and we were two small things away from it being a realty. All that said, ill be hoping with every fiber of my being that our boys become better than that combo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some clubs can avoid the consequences of their actions. We aren't one of them
GC were woeful in round 24, it would've taken hijinks more obvious than 2009 Melbourne to lose. And the AFL would've thrown the book and made an example of us.
Reid is good, extremely good in fact. But you can't sell the farm (4 first round picks) or risk serious consequences for one player.

Cry me a river

Anyone who doesn't think the AFL put slightly more on the counter for us in the minimal assistance package we got because we didn't roll over and embarrass them has rocks in their heads. They would have screwed us like the back of a volkswagen if we had given up.

Some clubs can avoid the consequences of their actions. We aren't one of them
GC were woeful in round 24, it would've taken hijinks more obvious than 2009 Melbourne to lose. And the AFL would've thrown the book and made an example of us.
Reid is good, extremely good in fact. But you can't sell the farm (4 first round picks) or risk serious consequences for one player.
We had lost 20 games in a row. The AFL weren't throwing anything at us if we lost one more.

We had lost 20 games in a row. The AFL weren't throwing anything at us if we lost one more.
The only way we lost that game was to blatantly take the piss, like 2009 Melbourne. Larkey subbed off, Corr to Full Forward, Goldy to full back, Jy in the ruck sort of thing. GC were pathetic.
Melbourne didn't escape and neither would've we.

We lost 20 in a row because we were crap, not because we didn't try. The only we lose that game is ridiculous positional moves or outwardly telling our guys not to try.

Reid or no Reid, we'd be at 26 and counting now. He wouldn't move the dial for us any more than Colby or Zane can, as first year players.
Our problems are cultural as much they are personal related. Until we fix the culture of the club, the quality of the list doesn't mean all the much. We'll under perform regardless

The only way we lost that game was to blatantly take the piss, like 2009 Melbourne. Larkey subbed off, Corr to Full Forward, Goldy to full back, Jy in the ruck sort of thing. GC were pathetic.
Melbourne didn't escape and neither would've we.

We lost 20 in a row because we were crap, not because we didn't try. The only we lose that game is ridiculous positional moves or outwardly telling our guys not to try.

Reid or no Reid, we'd be at 26 and counting now. He wouldn't move the dial for us any more than Colby or Zane can, as first year players.
Our problems are cultural as much they are personal related. Until we fix the culture of the club, the quality of the list doesn't mean all the much. We'll under perform regardless

I consider myself left wing but I agree with you

🤝

I went to the game on Sunday. The people lauding Harley Reid (who was excellent btw) forget the heavy lifting was done by their senior group; Yeo, Cripps, Kelly, McGovern, Barrass, Waterman, Cole, hell, even Jayden Hunt sliced them to shreds.
If we had the same output from our 'veterans' then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It's not our recent draftees that should be the focus, it's our older players and leadership group.

Even still, Richmond had Taranto, Hopper, Balta, Grimes, Prestia and Lynch out. That's 6 of their best 22.. wouldn't be surprised if Freo give them an all mighty pumping this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back