Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He polled votes in 2 games.

Which is remarkable given he has been no good until the last 6/7 weeks according to the groupthink.

The original point was Bolton has superior ceiling to many in the afl let alone his draft class.

Hence saying he isn't consistent paints false picture as his best I better than many.

The original point was Bolton has superior ceiling to many in the afl let alone his draft class.

Hence saying he isn't consistent paints false picture as his best I better than many.
Mate, neither of these two things have anything to do with one another. His ceiling is high, he is very inconsistent. These are two very different statements (I’d argue facts).

His ceiling gives him a higher rating, his inconsistency gives him a lower rating

Which is remarkable given he has been no good until the last 6/7 weeks according to the groupthink.

I’ll play the broken record again...

Not one person has said he doesn’t have a great ceiling. Stop putting words in people’s mouth.

Its been consistently said in this discussion Bolton has had "a couple good games" or a "month of ok football".

Conveniently ignoring his form as a forward the season prior to shifting to the middle. Or his contribution to the more recent premiership.

2019 best and fairest:
Taranto - 1st
McCluggage - 3rd
Stewart - 3rd
McGrath - 6th

Bolton - 18th

I’m not ignoring the season prior - it is a factor why I rate some higher.

2019 best and fairest:
Taranto - 1st
McCluggage - 3rd
Stewart - 3rd
McGrath - 6th

Bolton - 18th

I’m not ignoring the season prior - it is a factor why I rate some higher.

Richmond were the best team. Essendon for example are rubbish.

Again, you make some fair point but it's not a apples/apples comparison.

Mate, neither of these two things have anything to do with one another. His ceiling is high, he is very inconsistent. These are two very different statements (I’d argue facts).

His ceiling gives him a higher rating, his inconsistency gives him a lower rating

Allow me to rephrase

Boltons best games are better than many others capabilities or output.

So him not being consistent apparently doesn't necessarily mean as much. Given, when he goes well he generally goes very well.

Allow me to rephrase

So him not being consistent apparently doesn't necessarily mean as much. Given, when he goes well he generally goes very well.
I think many (everyone?) will disagree with you here. It is very much important 4 year into their career, regardless of his age, and it is very much important in ranking players

Allow me to rephrase

Kyle Reimers kicked 8 goals once which was better than many others so all his other s**t games didn’t matter

Wouldn't have thought im trolling champ. Just stating facts unlike some on this forum

What are your thoughts on LDU?

You specifically claim "Shai Bolton, a month of football does not make a career"

When it's clearly not true, Bolton had some good footy prior to moving into the mide this season

Kyle Reimers kicked 8 goals once which was better than many others so all his other sh*t games didn’t matter

Against a suns side of b grade ammos quality

I think many (everyone?) will disagree with you here. It is very much important 4 year into their career, regardless of his age, and it is very much important in ranking players

Ok maybe I misunderstand the premises of these discussions.

I had always assumed it was along the lines of if the draft was re done tommorow. What order would it be.

With the clubs having an eye on the next 10 years.

"What have they done so far in their careers" strikes me as a strange way to do it. Especially when we are acknowledging some types take longer. Ie. Kpp

Wrong coloured sash, so no.

If Bolton kicked 12 against a team of 18year olds I would not write home to Grandma about it.

He and his team played well against suspect oppo quality. Not sure if it's a great example

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had always assumed it was along the lines of if the draft was re done tommorow. What order would it be.

"What have they done so far in their careers" strikes me as a strange way to do it.

Literally every poster that comes into these threads knows that is the way it is done. You are the only one to think that

"What have they done so far in their careers" strikes me as a strange way to do it.
How do you judge future performance if not on what they've already output?

History is littered with players who have shown an incredible ceiling but a low floor, the Jarrod Brennan's of the world. Now, I'm not saying Bolton is a Brennan but just using an example of players who have shown lots but never put it consistently together.

Bolton has currently shown his is best as as good, arguably better, than anyone in this draft class, that does not mean he is a lock to do this every week. Players for whatever reason dont always reach their ceiling.

So, everyone that is disagreeing with you on Bolton is saying yes, his best very good, but so are 10 other players in this draft, and those 10 other players have also already out put more while Bolton has been finding his feet, and dont have the floor/inconsistency issues he has.

A player's worth/rating is not just their peak, but their whole career / troughs as well

I didn't mean to be disrespectful. Rubbish relatively speaking. Compared to say gws, that season.

Efc were and are clearly miles ahead of that initial suns side.
Are you actually taking my Reimers post literally?

The point I was trying to make was how silly it sounds to judge all players off their best games while ignoring their worst

How do you judge future performance if not on what they've already output?

History is littered with players who have shown an incredible ceiling but a low floor, the Jarrod Brennan's of the world. Now, I'm not saying Bolton is a Brennan but just using an example of players who have shown lots but never put it consistently together.

Bolton has currently shown his is best as as good, arguably better, than anyone in this draft class, that does not mean he is a lock to do this every week. Players for whatever reason dont always reach their ceiling.

So, everyone that is disagreeing with you on Bolton is saying yes, his best very good, but so are 10 other players in this draft, and those 10 other players have also already out put more while Bolton has been finding his feet, and dont have the floor/inconsistency issues he has.

A player's worth/rating is not just their peak, but their whole career / troughs as well

Outside of one game Naughton has been pretty bad. This season.

If there was a redraft - Naughton would go very high.

Based mostly, on what teams think he would give output wise - over the next 5/10 years

In their first year they are rated 99% of potential. In their last season its 100% on what they have done. 4 years in they are what 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through their careers. So at the moment it should be roughly 1/3 of current performance and 2/3 what they look like doing. But how much does past performance predict the future?

why is he inconsistent ?

Compared to whom?

Consistent enough to be top 2 ( with Mcgrath )in coaches votes, and top 30 in afl player ratings for 2020

consistent enough to get coaches votes in about half the games since he went to the midfield

consistent enough to be picked every week for the flag favourites

consistent enough to make under 22 squad

This inconsistent label is garbage, unfounded and disproven, it is made by people who are stuck in the 90s. look at the stat sheet and determine game impact on that basis.

why is he inconsistent ?

Compared to whom?

Consistent enough to be top 2 ( with Mcgrath )in coaches votes, and top 30 in afl player ratings for 2020

consistent enough to get coaches votes in about half the games since he went to the midfield

consistent enough to be picked every week for the flag favourites

consistent enough to make under 22 squad

This inconsistent label is garbage, unfounded and disproven, it is made by people who are stuck in the 90s. look at the stat sheet and determine game impact on that basis.
I will agree to disagree with you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back