Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think its cool that you watch football when your team isn't playing and you think of me.

Its quite a compliment
Well you see I am able to form these opinions because I do watch opposition teams play. I have no doubt you probably couldn’t pick Jordan Ridley out of a lineup

Where’s these rankings with your so called ‘facts’ and ‘evidence’ we’re all so desperate to see??

I think we are getting closer to solving this problem. You’re fallen in love with a football player.

I have never seen a player getting caught holding the ball 3 times in a quarter. Can you spin this bit of straw into gold?

He had a game arugably better than Dangerfield and most of geelong.

He had the ball the most for richmond , when the game was still in the balance.

As per usual his did things that don't make the stat ; creative , speed, pressure etc.

But yeah he got pinged a couple times trying to make the play let's slide Bolton 10 spots down 5he rankings

He had a game arugably better than Dangerfield and most of geelong.

He had the ball the most for richmond , when the game was still in the balance.

As per usual his did things that don't make the stat ; creative , speed, pressure etc.

But yeah he got pinged a couple times trying to make the play let's slide Bolton 10 spots down 5he rankings
D3852944-9209-4E6C-BB9C-143DA5EA1AB4.jpeg

One bloke I had some high hopes for in this draft was Cedric Cox. Has been played back, forward, but never really came on. Has shown some nice glimpses, but can’t seem to find that consistency required to play consistently as the highest level. I’d love to give him one more year on our list, but think Kiddy Coleman may have stamped his papers. Surely if we let him go, he gets another chance elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Venables has played in a premiership

For a pick 13 do you think he has had the amount of impact that WC would have been expecting? What have you liked about his career (apart from being the 22nd man in the premiership side) so far? If Gaff was available Venables wouldn’t have that medal. Who would you drop from the side to fit Gaff in?
Venables has had some injury concerns which I can understand. Where would you have him in your own ratings mate?
Not having a crack at all, would genuinely like to hear your thoughts on him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane made out like bandits with this draft

McCluggage, Berry, Witherden, Cox all good pickups

I've often said on the Essendon board that if you can select 3+ AFL quality players from one draft, you are well on your way to becomig an AFL powerhouse. The best teams of the last 20 years have often nailed at least one draft.

I've often said on the Essendon board that if you can select 3+ AFL quality players from one draft, you are well on your way to becomig an AFL powerhouse. The best teams of the last 20 years have often nailed at least one draft.
Very much agree.

Get 200 gamers and AA quality players in one draft you will be very happy as a supporter

2017 isn't looking too bad for Brisbane too. Rayner, Starcevich and Bailey are all well entrenched in the best 22. Payne looked OK in his second game too.

There's been a few misses early (thinking Schache, Aish) but our recruiters have done well in recent times.

Anyway lets get some rankings up:

Career to date:

1. Stewart
2. Taranto
3. McCluggage
4. McGrath
5. Ryan
6. Simpkin
7. R Marshall
8. Ridely
9. Berry
10 Bolton

Career end:

1) Taranto
2) McCluggage
3) Simpkin
4) Ridley
5) Berry
6) McGrath
7) Stewart
8) Ryan
9) English
10) R Marshall
11) Bolton
12) Settlefield
13) Zurhaar
14) Draper
15) Bowes
16) Florent
17) Larkey
18) Logue
19) Darcy
20) Parfitt
21) Ainsworth
22) SPP
23) Long
24) Himmelberg
25) Heyward
26) Witherden
27) De Boer
28) Perryman
29) Diacos
30) SPS

Amazing draft.
Typical where is my teams player post but Scrimshaw will be at least top 20 in this draft at careers end and COULD potentially be top 10 like he was in the original draft

2017 isn't looking too bad for Brisbane too. Rayner, Starcevich and Bailey are all well entrenched in the best 22. Payne looked OK in his second game too.

There's been a few misses early (thinking Schache, Aish) but our recruiters have done well in recent times.
And those 2 drafts took brisbane from the go home players to top 4 side, along with getting Andrews and Hipwood

I am happy to provide my top 10.

I am also going to explain how my ratings system works. I think the 'I reckon A is better than B because, well I just do' is really boring and simplistic, surely we can complete our views with same data driven analysis. And better still not just statistical input analysis, but statistical output analysis. The things that help determine a players rating are, as far as if you go into a time capsule back to 2016 draft, and we know what we know, what would the top 10 look like. Lets leave which teams have the picks out of it. Who would I take if I was a RM and ranked my top 10.

1. What has the player done in his career so far, both individually and as team.

Individual achievements especially, peer driven ones, are the most important, EG AFLCA votes, AFLPA votes, AFL player ratings, AA jumpers, best fairests are all top tier, all individual club awards are weighted by the position of the team. Clearly winning a best and fairest in a premiership year is more prestigious than winning the same award for the team that finishes last.

2. How good could he be?

This would allow the players rating to take into account the rate of improvement, age, and above expectation performance, compared to others of his draft class, and compared to current champions at his age.

Injury history, behavioral issues, known problems also play apart.

Anyone on this basis I will start with Pick 1.

Cant go past Tom Stewart.

Even though 27, and not particularly versatile, his record speaks for itself.

2, AA jumpers, AFLCA young player award, very durable other than this year, playing 72 games since 2017.

No real need to look much further, no ones has his score on the board, especially when you consider that he was good enough pretty much from the get go to play seniors for a top 4 team.

If you could guarantee this kinda output from a pick 1, and the year after you drafted him, you would probably take it.

1. Tom Stewart
2. Tim Taranto
won the Kevin Sheedy medal and clearly his teams best player in the grand final, also made the AA squad of 40. Young and improving inside / outside midfielder

I am also going to explain how my ratings system works. I think the 'I reckon A is better than B because, well I just do' is really boring and simplistic, surely we can complete our views with same data driven analysis. And better still not just statistical input analysis, but statistical output analysis. The things that help determine a players rating are, as far as if you go into a time capsule back to 2016 draft, and we know what we know, what would the top 10 look like. Lets leave which teams have the picks out of it. Who would I take if I was a RM and ranked my top 10.

1. What has the player done in his career so far, both individually and as team.

Individual achievements especially, peer driven ones, are the most important, EG AFLCA votes, AFLPA votes, AFL player ratings, AA jumpers, best fairests are all top tier, all individual club awards are weighted by the position of the team. Clearly winning a best and fairest in a premiership year is more prestigious than winning the same award for the team that finishes last.

2. How good could he be?

This would allow the players rating to take into account the rate of improvement, age, and above expectation performance, compared to others of his draft class, and compared to current champions at his age.

2, AA jumpers, AFLCA young player award, very durable other than this year, playing 72 games since 2017.

No real need to look much further, no ones has his score on the board, especially when you consider that he was good enough pretty much from the get go to play seniors for a top 4 team.

If you could guarantee this kinda output from a pick 1, and the year after you drafted him, you would probably take it.
Happy to provide your top 10? You named 1 player.

2. How good could he be?

Just a list will do champ. I’ve read enough of your drivel to know it isn’t worth reading all that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back