43. Carter Michael - Brisbane A - 188cm 74kg
44. Zavier Maher - Murray - 185cm 82kg
45. Lachlan Carrigan - Sandringham - 191cm 78kg
46. Max Heath - Sandringham - 203cm 94kg
47. Maurice Rioli Jnr - NT - 173cm 73kg
48. Harry Sharp - GWV - 183cm 69kg
49. Jake Bowey - Sandringham - 175cm 67kg
50. Clayton Gay - Dandenong - 184cm 78kg

a couple of state league players i think might get drafted, Tom Highmore and Jackson Ramsay(not going to speculate where they might go).

others outside of the top 50 include, Seamus Mitchell, Luke Pedlar, Henry Walsh, Kalin Lane, Liam McMahon, Sam Collins, Josh Green, Campbell Edwardes, Jackson Cardillo, Jack Avery, James Borlase, Lochlan Jenkins, Max Holmes, Connor Stone.

Last edited:
seems like Serong is favourite to win the Rising Star, if he wins it tonight, grats to him, he was my second favourite player last year behind Rowell, loved his tough uncompromising play for Vic Country and Gippsland and now he seems to be doing the same for the Dockers, i think i had him before Green in my rankings, not sure, but both are going to be eventually great i believe.

it sucks having no nableague or national champs to watch this year.....

Last edited:
I dont understand the first round prediction that many have about Zach Reid, i saw every Gippsland Power game last year because its a Hawthorn NGA Zone i watched every game, i didn't report on it in my threads, Zach Reid was not overly impressive and I hardly noticed him play well, yet I get told to include him because word is some recruiters might rate him, maybe they rate his potential (Height)?, because his footy ability lacks something, anyway I won't be putting Zach Reid in my top 30 and I'm hoping Hawthorn don't take that risk.

I find it increasingly amusing seeing everyone follow suite on Zach Reid, it makes me question "am I missing something"? Or do people just copy each other without doing their own work?

I could see him develop into a second tier ruck eventually, but using a first rounder on that type is insanity imo.

Last edited:
I dont understand the first round prediction that many have about Zach Reid, i saw every Gippsland Power game last year because its a Hawthorn NGA Zone i watched every game, i didn't report on it in my threads, Zach Reid was not overly impressive and I hardly noticed him play well, yet I get told to include him because word is some recruiters might rate him, maybe they rate his potential (Height)?, because his footy ability lacks something, anyway I won't be putting Zach Reid in my top 30 and I'm hoping Hawthorn don't take that risk.

I find it increasingly amusing seeing everyone follow suite on Zach Reid, it makes me question "am I missing something"? Or do people just copy each other without doing their own work?

I could see him develop into a second tier ruck eventually, but using a first rounder on that type is insanity imo.

I feel that he is one of the players that would develop well in an AFL setting. Has enough tools to be used in multiple roles which will appeal.

I have him late first/early second. Could slide but someone will take him around there based on what he could develop into

I feel that he is one of the players that would develop well in an AFL setting. Has enough tools to be used in multiple roles which will appeal.

I have him late first/early second. Could slide but someone will take him around there based on what he could develop into
All he will develop into is a slow ruckman

If a club wants a first round bust, who am I to stand in their way?

I've kept quiet for a long time, but I recently saw people predict him going top 10 and so I had to say something in good conscience, but clubs will do what they want.

He's a bit immobile too...compared to Cox...who moves like a winger

All he will develop into is a slow ruckman

If a club wants a first round bust, who am I to stand in their way?

I've kept quiet for a long time, but I recently saw people predict him going top 10 and so I had to say something in good conscience.

Top 10... that is a stretch and a half IMO.

Feel he could end up being a good lock down FB for a team. Will likely end up being thrown all over the place and not be able to develop.

One of the Cats picks is where I see him being taken.

Are there other players that you think the BigFooty consensus has got wrong? Either overrating or underrating.

He's a bit immobile too...compared to Cox...who moves like a winger
Cox played well for Northern and Vic Metro which is completely different, whereas Reid was average for Gippsland and that's it

Cox projects similarly to Hipwood and the McKay Twins who are now making a mark after spending years in the gym, he would go late in the first round like they did in their draft a few years ago I would think

Cox played well for Northern and Vic Metro which is completely different, whereas Reid was average for Gippsland and that's it

Cox projects similarly to Hipwood and the McKay Twins who are now making a mark after spending years in the gym, he would go late in the first round like they did in their draft a few years ago I would think

He's got the Dustin Fletcher build to go with his 200cm...what you don't see is speed like that (Alex Pearce had it) coupled with silky skills off both feet. (Alex can barely kick on his right)

I'd be stoked if we could grab him...could be the ideal Justin Longmuir replacement we've been looking for for 15 years

I'd be stoked if we could grab him...could be the ideal Justin Longmuir replacement we've been looking for for 15 years

Does this mean Freo will have another Mark Harvey and Ross Lyon like situation and Cox could be the next coach after them?

Reid is the only one that stands out as a player that I dont think should be top 30, every other player is reasonably in their range imo.
The other player that you rate differently to the others is Callow. No one else has him in their 25 from what I have seen.

Phantom/ Mock drafts are predicting who goes where more than indicative of someones personal rankings, and without being able to talk to AFL recruiters or NAB League talent managers it's harder than ever to predict that. I feel like I'm one in particular you're targeting the speech to because I've got him going to Gold Coast, the thinking there is purely they need a KPD prospect that'll match it with 200cm plus forward consistently if all things go well with development, originally I had Nik Cox there because I think he's the better of the two, but now I don't think he's the type they're looking for as he's somewhat similar to Ballard/ Lukosius, where as Reid I feel will be a deep defender and more capable of playing that number 1 KPD role. Is top 10 a reach? probably, but we see it every year (Jackson last year was borderline top 10) that players bolt if a team really wants that type. Just my view on it anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only knock on Gulden, and it is a big knock, is his height. He is about 173cm I think, and that is very short for an AFL player. If he was 10cm taller he would definitely be in the top 10 this year.

Caleb Daniel enjoying his 1st AA this year. Hopefully more of the same from Gulden.

The only knock on Gulden, and it is a big knock, is his height. He is about 173cm I think, and that is very short for an AFL player. If he was 10cm taller he would definitely be in the top 10 this year.
With Sydney going with Campbell so they may not need Gulden? I think a little too much emphasis is placed on height. There are 90 listed AFL players who are 177cm and below (Thats 5 ft 9 in the old language!). I think if the players are good enough they are good enough. There are plenty of positions for smaller players so I feel it's more a case of what a team needs and if the player is good enough to fill the need.

seems like Serong is favourite to win the Rising Star, if he wins it tonight, grats to him, he was my second favourite player last year behind Rowell, loved his tough uncompromising play for Vic Country and Gippsland and now he seems to be doing the same for the Dockers, i think i had him before Green in my rankings, not sure, but both are going to be eventually great i believe.

it sucks having no nableague or national champs to watch this year.....
Good spotting with Serong, he is really living up to his promise and I was hoping the Swans would have taken him, particularly as he was a Swans supporter to boot. The only NAB League game I caught this year was the practice match between Oakleigh and Northern. It absolutely sucks with what has happened in Vic. Great opportunities for the interstate this year however I get the feeling there are a few clubs looking for the outliers in Vic and trying to come up with the smokey. Mind you, you could argue outside the top 20 they are all smokey's to a point in Vic.

Phantom/ Mock drafts are predicting who goes where more than indicative of someones personal rankings, and without being able to talk to AFL recruiters or NAB League talent managers it's harder than ever to predict that. I feel like I'm one in particular you're targeting the speech to because I've got him going to Gold Coast, the thinking there is purely they need a KPD prospect that'll match it with 200cm plus forward consistently if all things go well with development, originally I had Nik Cox there because I think he's the better of the two, but now I don't think he's the type they're looking for as he's somewhat similar to Ballard/ Lukosius, where as Reid I feel will be a deep defender and more capable of playing that number 1 KPD role. Is top 10 a reach? probably, but we see it every year (Jackson last year was borderline top 10) that players bolt if a team really wants that type. Just my view on it anyway

Its nothing personal, I just needed to air my thoughts and what I have seen with my own eyes, if others have different views thats fine, I just wanted to air my PoV in my thread.

Good spotting with Serong, he is really living up to his promise and I was hoping the Swans would have taken him, particularly as he was a Swans supporter to boot. The only NAB League game I caught this year was the practice match between Oakleigh and Northern. It absolutely sucks with what has happened in Vic. Great opportunities for the interstate this year however I get the feeling there are a few clubs looking for the outliers in Vic and trying to come up with the smokey. Mind you, you could argue outside the top 20 they are all smokey's to a point in Vic.
Yea I got told Serong couldn't kick at 1 stage last year because some podcast was talking about his kicking% at the champs, but I trust what I see over stats, although stats are handy once you've seen a player play a style you think can translate to the AFL.

Yea I got told Serong couldn't kick at 1 stage last year because some podcast was talking about his kicking% at the champs, but I trust what I see over stats, although stats are handy once you've seen a player play a style you think can translate to the AFL.
True that, watching them regularly makes a difference. I enjoy reading your views, along with eDPS I find you both bring names up from time to time that I haven't seen and in a year like the one we are having that's valuable. I take more interest in the 21 onwards picks. I leave the top 20 stuff alone as they generally do throw up the same old names. This year for the Vic kids in that bracket trying to pick the ones who may have more upside it difficult without any footy to frank their value.

Its nothing personal, I just needed to air my thoughts and what I have seen with my own eyes, if others have different views thats fine, I just wanted to air my PoV in my thread.
Hope it doesn't come off as an accusation, I don't think you're the type of person to do that, and I can see why you'd be sceptical just wanted to clarify my reasoning behind him going early, my phantoms are based far more on team needs than anything else

I think he’s better.

I know Cox is this weeks favourite on the Freo board, but Reid is a good prospect. Not quite the same athlete, but still really good for his size. Excellent foot skills, he’s a smart defender and marks well - football IQ might not be as eye catching on highlights, but the recruiters will know about it. I think he’s well suited to the full back role, whereas Cox doesn’t quite have the same obvious position.

Cox will no doubt rise after the combine, but Reid is far safer and that’s not a bad thing.

I’d certainly be taking Reid ahead of Cox. And Callow wouldn’t even be close.

A year off certainly makes judging talls a lot harder though.

i obviously disagree with this point of view

Cox has shown good form for both Northern and Vic Metro, he is a tall flanker but so was Hipwood and the McKay brothers in their draft years, they still play that style of footy in the AFL with a bit of KPP play intermingled in their play, so that at least has precedent.

Callow is a good leading forward, good hands in the air and when the ball hits the ground, strong so less development(you get what you see), but has a good build and can kick bags of goals as well as play the high leading forward role.

Reid is a slow tall defender who doesnt stand out in games and gets beaten too often, his pros are that he is ruckman height so if he doesnt work out as a slow defender then he can ruck and has decent use of the footy for a big man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back