Recommitted Clayton Oliver [re-signed until 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Right, so you think that you are bringing in Williams and Saad and still won’t be at the minimum spend threshold of 95% and have 1.5m to spend for next year still?
As the collingwood fan rightly pointed out with kruezer retiring on 700k and simpson on 1mil we have actually gained cap space.

So assuming your "last year" means 2020:

1. Mitch Mcgovern - 800k

2. Jack Martin - $1 mil for 2020 & 2021 (which means my previous idea that Carlton DOESN'T EVEN get Martin coming off his huge contract, his $1 mil salary extends into 2021

3. Patrick Cripps (well obviously 500k+)

4. Marc Murphy (Apparently on similar salary as Pendles, Cripps, Danger, so 750 - 950k?)

5. Matthew Kreuzer (700k)

Should I continue or?... Took me like 2 minutes to factually prove that your information is completely wrong.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On the other hand, people think we have salary cap problems just because of Grundy, De Goey and Moore when Carlton is paying $1 mil to Martin, 800k to Mcgovern and 700k to Kreuzer... Point is, 3 players don't make up the entire salary cap, stop basing your opinion of our cap based on 3/44 contracts.

Kruezer is gone.

Murphy just signed a new one year contract on significantly reduced wages.

Simpson is gone.

We’ll have Ed Curnow and Levi Casboult on much lower wages, given their age and expected retirement next year.

By the way, that article you quoted doesn’t say anything like you think it says. Here’s the relevant quote:

“The Blues have some contracts front-ended — with heavy payments upfront — that will give them space for another aggressive post-season, despite spending 105 per cent of the limit, as the AFL rules allow via ‘‘banking’’ from 2018 and 2019 when they spent below the salary cap.”

As they say, we have arranged our cap space specifically to have a big crack this year — for contracts beginning in 2021. I know the stereotype about Pies fans being dumb is mostly a myth, but you’re not doing a great job of busting it.

Kruezer is gone.

Murphy just signed a new one year contract on significantly reduced wages.

Simpson is gone.

We’ll have Ed Curnow and Levi Casboult on much lower wages, given their age and expected retirement next year.

By the way, that article you quoted doesn’t say anything like you think it says. Here’s the relevant quote:

“The Blues have some contracts front-ended — with heavy payments upfront — that will give them space for another aggressive post-season, despite spending 105 per cent of the limit, as the AFL rules allow via ‘‘banking’’ from 2018 and 2019 when they spent below the salary cap.”

As they say, we have arranged our cap space specifically to have a big crack this year — for contracts beginning in 2021. I know the stereotype about Pies fans being dumb is mostly a myth, but you’re not doing a great job of busting it.
I mean do Carlton supporters just not read? I was literally just replying to his claim that there has only been 3 players on 500k+ in the previous years...

Mods, if trolling is bannable, surely being delusional is too?

I mean do Carlton supporters just not read? I was literally just replying to his claim that there has only been 3 players on 500k+ in the previous years...

Mods, if trolling is bannable, surely being delusional is too?

Be serious, dude. You’ve been pushing the narrative that Carlton can’t afford a player like Oliver because we’re over the salary cap. Multiple Carlton people in this thread pointed out why that isn’t the case. We are paying 105% this year, but only because we front loaded Martin and only because we’ve been under the cap for years. We have plenty of cap space in 2021, when new contracts begin.

Can someone please point me in the direction of finding out a clubs cap space, player payments etc... seems everyone knows the ins and outs of their teams $$ situation but me?? 🤔 (or is it just the supporters of clubs that want to get the best players possible, for the least amount of money and giving up players/picks? 😂)

Be serious, dude. You’ve been pushing the narrative that Carlton can’t afford a player like Oliver because we’re over the salary cap. Multiple Carlton people in this thread pointed out why that isn’t the case. We are paying 105% this year, but only because we front loaded Martin and only because we’ve been under the cap for years. We have plenty of cap space in 2021, when new contracts begin.
I mean this doesn't tell me anything but how Carlton having the cap is just a wish of yours.

So if you're capped out on the maximum 105% this year, Martin's $1 mil a year contract extends also to 2021 (so no relief here). Then, where are you guys getting the $1.5 mil from, for Williams/Saad without losing a star player?

And you know this, how?

“Carlton had significant salary-cap space for 2021, due to an under-spend over the past seasons, which the Blues had to take advantage of or they would lose that additional money to spend on players. Teams that don't spend all of their salary cap in a season can "bank'' the money and spend in the subsequent two years and exceed the salary cap in the subsequent years.”

taken from the age article below...

“Carlton had significant salary-cap space for 2021, due to an under-spend over the past seasons, which the Blues had to take advantage of or they would lose that additional money to spend on players. Teams that don't spend all of their salary cap in a season can "bank'' the money and spend in the subsequent two years and exceed the salary cap in the subsequent years.”

taken from the age article below...
I mean this is word by word what theage said in the article I linked above, but about the 2020 season, where it states that in 2020, Carlton is on 105% of salary cap.

I mean this doesn't tell me anything but how Carlton having the cap is just a wish of yours.

So if you're capped out on the maximum 105% this year, Martin's $1 mil a year contract extends also to 2021 (so no relief here). Then, where are you guys getting the $1.5 mil from, for Williams/Saad without losing a star player?

It’s very simple.

Your first mistake is thinking Martin is on $1m a year. He’s on closer to 650k. But, since we took advantage of the 105% rule, we paid him a big chunk of his wage this year, which would have been more then 1m, perhaps even as high as 1.5m. Next year? Well, we can pay him less than 650k, since he already got the money this year. That’s how front loading works. That’s why we took that option.

And who exactly are the star players on our list getting a ton of money? McGovern? Sure, he’s been paid 700k (certainly not 800k as some believe). But his contract ends next year and he’ll most definitely be taking a pay cut or finding a new home. Cripps? Yep, he’s going to be paid a lot, probably close to 1m. Outside of that, we don’t have any stars. McKay is about to re-sign on a modest wage. We‘re a team of role players and young kids.

We're rorting the salary cap again. You figured it out, damn you to hell! Quick somebody tell Gil. Someone make sure channel 7 credit Prochard123 .

Alrighty, as much my fault as anyone and I apologise but we are getting further and further away from the thread purpose. Further discussions on Carltons capspace can be taken to the Carlton list discussion thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would i know why some tossers like to big note themselves on bigfooty

I think you're full of it and make sh*t up. As i said before, take it on the chin and move on princess

The Justin Longmuir was a repost of what was said in a rumour thread by someone else, I just re posted.

The story is true also.. But how would you know? Careys past speaks for itself.

You're the only troll here. Embarrassing.

Pick 7 & our 2021 1st rounder for Oliver and a 2nd rounder would be roughly the same as Treloar & Shiel - this would be a better deal for you than what Freo got for Neale.
tbf Oliver has much better credentials now than any of those players did when they were traded

tbf Oliver has much better credentials now than any of those players did when they were traded
+ is younger
+ this is a compromised draft and that pick is gonna slide

Nowhere near enough to make Melbourne even entertain the thought imo.

What is the story here? A trade? That seems quite difficult to pull off for me. demons rightly will ask for a lot and im not sure we can afford/are willing to give up the asking price.

If the dons have pick 7 + 11 will Melbourne accept that this year if Oliver tells them he wants out
If the bombers trade away 2 first round picks again they really should hand in their license

Remove this Banner Ad

Back