Is the MCG a big advantage on Grand Final Day for Victorians against Interstate Sides? /Are Interstaters advantaged during the home and away season?

Is the MCG a significant advantage for Victorian sides against Interstate Teams on Grand Final Day?

• Yes, It's a big advantage for the Vic Big Boys

Votes: 384 66.0%
  • No. If you're good enough you'll win no matter who you play where you play

Votes: 198 34.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the Grand Final we are talking about, not Home and Away, no-one has definitive evidence that determines what HGA is, most is guess work.
So, you want to stick your head in the sand and say non-Vics have no advantage during the home and away season, then what is wrong with Vics doing the same?

And all you can say is the last 13 years has been dominated by Vic, that's all you have, but have you considered, it took 13 years for Vics to catch up?
Fremantle are 1-1 in prelims at home. Therefore they’re not advantaged, not enough evidence. These are prelims we’re talking about, they’re not like regular season games because players sing the national anthem beforehand and both teams supporters get ticket access #viclogic
Geelong are actually disadvantaged when they play a final at Catpark 0-1, the evidence says so

Last edited:
Fremantle are 1-1 in prelims at home. Therefore they’re not advantaged, not enough evidence. These are prelims we’re talking about, they’re not like regular season games because players sing the national anthem beforehand and both teams supporters get ticket access #viclogic
Geelong are actually disadvantaged when they play a final at Catpark 0-1 the evidence says so FMD
I have no idea what you are on about.

Hey, you are the one that wanted to put your head in the sand and say you have no advantage during H&A, i am just accommodating you.

So, let's just all post like you, no H&A advantage, no GF advantage.

2058 and beyond.
10 games with an advantage
2 neutral
10 with a disadvantage

what are you on about??

the only leg up we might get is a neutral game in the NT once every few years

we’re not any more likely to win in Tasmania. Years of results have shown this. No one wants to play there

The best h&a seasons on record in the afl era belong to Victorian clubs. Non Victorians haven’t equaled West Coasts season in 1991 of 19 wins. Victorian sides have bettered it multiple times

wtf are you on about?

10 games with an advantage
2 neutral
10 with a disadvantage

what are you on about??

the only leg up we might get is a neutral game in the NT once every few years

we’re not any more likely to win in Tasmania. Years of results have shown this. No one wants to play there

The best h&a seasons on record in the afl era belong to Victorian clubs. Non Victorians haven’t equaled West Coasts season in 1991 of 19 wins. Victorian sides have bettered it multiple times

wtf are you on about?
Wtf am i on about?

Have you actually read this thread, it has been explained many times?

But you just keep your head in the sand, no H&A advantage, so then no GF advantage, nice apples?

2058 and beyond.

Wtf am i on about?

Have you actually read this thread, it has been explained many times?

But you just keep your head in the sand, no H&A advantage, so then no GF advantage, nice apples?

2058 and beyond.
Can you explain it or not?

Thought so
What did you think? that you are too lazy to read the thread.

You see, i believe you have read the thread and just don't acknowledge any of it.

So you see, posters like you who thinks there is no advantage to non-Vic clubs, have this huge inferiority complex, you won't admit anything that advantages you.

So you see, we can all do what you are doing, no H&A advantage, no GF advantage.

2058 and beyond

the title of your link sums it up

Empty stadiums have shrunk football teams’ home advantage

Your link shows

All 16 leagues report reduction in ‘home cooking’ from the referee.

And 13 of 16 leagues show a reduction in chances created, the expected scoring.

Not sure what point you are trying to make? Trying to not pick how big ‘shrunk’ actually is? But that link backs up the point...if you don’t have a stadium that is full of home fans any advantage is reduced.

And as per final sirens piece HGA halved....a 50% reduction in advantage!!

Guess what happens on GF day....it isn’t a one sided crowd. So any advantage that exists in normal home and away is reduced.

What else changes?

The weekly routine - yep, a ‘home’ team doesn’t enjoy normal routine.

If a GF doesn’t reflect normal home game environment and conditions, surely it holds that the normal advantage also would be altered....so you end up with what 25% of any regular advantage?
Aside from when they play each other, Richmond and Collingwood should have a home crowd advantage at all of their MCG games due to size of supporter/membership base.
Now since you play around 14-16 games per year at the MCG while enjoying a crowd advantage at 90-95% of these games this means that even in a worse case scenario with your fixture you still have more games with a home crowd advantage than your average interstate club without the burden of travel that an interstate club has. This indicates that Collingwood and Richmond have a significant fixture advantage year on year based on the logic presented in this thread.

What did you think? that you are too lazy to read the thread.

You see, i believe you have read the thread and just don't acknowledge any of it.

So you see, posters like you who thinks there is no advantage to non-Vic clubs, have this huge inferiority complex, you won't admit anything that advantages you.

So you see, we can all do what you are doing, no H&A advantage, no GF advantage.

2058 and beyond
Just provide a single rebuttal to what I’ve said. How are we advantaged in the h&a? You make the claim but can’t back it up.

Just provide a single rebuttal to what I’ve said. How are we advantaged in the h&a? You make the claim but can’t back it up.
How thick are you?

It's been explained here many, many times, i am not your gofer.

I don't care about your posts anymore, you have made it clear, so my thoughts to you are, no H&A advantage, no GF advantage.

2058 and beyond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How thick are you?

It's been explained here many, many times, i am not your gofer.

I don't care about your posts anymore, you have made it clear, so my thoughts to you are, no H&A advantage, no GF advantage.

2058 and beyond
I’ve read it bud, don’t worry. Most of it revolves around us playing in Tasmania, but that’s a joke, teams aren’t more likely to win there. Fact. You get a leg up by avoiding the place, same as alphabet stadium in Geelong

I’ve read it bud, don’t worry. Most of it revolves around us playing in Tasmania, but that’s a joke, teams aren’t more likely to win there. Fact. You get a leg up by avoiding the place, same as alphabet stadium in Geelong
That's us, that's not all Vic clubs, you can look at my posting history, you will see i don't deny the advantages we get, you on the other hand................

That's us, that's not all Vic clubs, you can look at my posting history, you will see i don't deny the advantages we get, you on the other hand................
You’ve continually grouped all the Victorian clubs together throughout this bud, now you want to start segregating them. Non Victorians aren’t advantaged in the h&a. We play as many games with an advantage as we do with a disadvantage

Victorian clubs get more of an advantage or less of an advantage than us depending on the fixture.

You’ve continually grouped all the Victorian clubs together throughout this bud, now you want to start segregating them. Non Victorians aren’t advantaged in the h&a. We play as many games with an advantage as we do with a disadvantage

Victorian clubs get more of an advantage or less of an advantage than us depending on the fixture.
No advantage H&A, no advantage GF

2058 and beyond

No advantage H&A, no advantage GF

2058 and beyond
Here’s squiggles analysis of hga in the 2018 h&a season. Even with the commonwealth games gifting Freo an extra home game they STILL walked away with less hga than Hawthorn!!

HOW ARE WE ADVANTAGED OVERALL???

Collingwood was above us!

They examined results for 6,481 professional soccer games in 17 countries before and after COVID-19 restrictions were put in place, and made a surprising finding.

The home-field advantage was still there — to a slightly smaller degree — even without boisterous crowds of fans to cheer them on and heckle their opponents, said economics professor James Reade.

found the share of matches ending in a home win fell from 43.8 per cent before the shutdown to 41.2 per cent after.
Here is a link to another actual research paper.

Similar to finalsirens piece, it looks to include more data, have more thorough analysis and again notes that the advantage at home basically halved, which was consistent in points and actual goals scored.

But then also explored, corners, shots in target and again evaluated referee performance.

433556A6-D4E4-4990-A668-F312BC27F06B.jpeg

Here’s squiggles analysis of hga in the 2018 h&a season. Even with the commonwealth games gifting Freo an extra home game they STILL walked away with less hga than Hawthorn!!

HOW ARE WE ADVANTAGED OVERALL???

Collingwood was above us!
Is that gospel? lmao, anyone can make a graph like that.

You are now looking for anything that will suit your argument, but there is no evidence on why home ground advantage exists, it is mostly guess work.

Anyway, it don't matter, you have made yourself very clear, you think you don't get any advantages H&A.

And i will make myself clear.

I don't care what you believe, the GF is here until 2058 and most probably beyond, so whatever you believe makes nil difference.

the title of your link sums it up

Empty stadiums have shrunk football teams’ home advantage

Your link shows

All 16 leagues report reduction in ‘home cooking’ from the referee.

And 13 of 16 leagues show a reduction in chances created, the expected scoring.

Not sure what point you are trying to make? Trying to not pick how big ‘shrunk’ actually is? But that link backs up the point...if you don’t have a stadium that is full of home fans any advantage is reduced.

And as per final sirens piece HGA halved....a 50% reduction in advantage!!

Guess what happens on GF day....it isn’t a one sided crowd. So any advantage that exists in normal home and away is reduced.

What else changes?

The weekly routine - yep, a ‘home’ team doesn’t enjoy normal routine.

If a GF doesn’t reflect normal home game environment and conditions, surely it holds that the normal advantage also would be altered....so you end up with what 25% of any regular advantage?
If you still get an advantage then it is not fair.

I don't care if that is one point or a 100.

Aside from when they play each other, Richmond and Collingwood should have a home crowd advantage at all of their MCG games due to size of supporter/membership base.
Now since you play around 14-16 games per year at the MCG while enjoying a crowd advantage at 90-95% of these games this means that even in a worse case scenario with your fixture you still have more games with a home crowd advantage than your average interstate club without the burden of travel that an interstate club has. This indicates that Collingwood and Richmond have a significant fixture advantage year on year based on the logic presented in this thread.
The crowd factor is when there is primarily only support for just one team.

If it is Collingwood v Melbourne at the G and the Dees fans can make just as much noise if they get on top especially in such a vast stadium such as the G.

We usually play just 3 non-vic teams at the G each year, but play 5 on their home decks.

And yes, Collingwood is one of the least impacted teams as we don’t sell games. Playing a game at Etihad is better than in Darwin, China, Ballarat etc

Thousands of studies statistically proving the existence of home ground advantage should be enough for you.
This argument's been well and truely debunked at least a few dozen times on this board.
You West Coasters really do believe that if you keep repeating the same rubbish, it eventually comes true.

This argument's been well and truely debunked at least a few dozen times on this board.
You West Coasters really do believe that if you keep repeating the same rubbish, it eventually comes true.
Home ground advantage hasn’t been debunked you nonse. It’s a statistically proven reality across sports worldwide. Even without crowds

It doesn’t just disappear on grand final day because the Black eyed peas get on stage for a few minutes

Back