Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be shocked if Harry T plays on. Almost certain he wouldn't be offered a place on the list. Has been a great player but he is done.
I thought that Taylor had indicated it is going to be his last year too. Thought that the reason in part he played on and didn’t retire last year was due to his contract and also asked.

Thats why I hardly slept a wink last night. Couldn't come to up with a valid reason on why we were so bad.
or why Tigers are so good. I'm serious. Who was not thinking at half time, only 15 points down, deja-vu 2019 Prelim? That late second quarter Dusty goal was crucial for them. No way was I comfortable. The inevitability of it was depressing when it happened, but we looked physically gone, and I read somewhere we had used a lot of our quota of interchanges before half time. There will be a reason for our apparent leglessness, but most of it will be due to what Richmond does to teams.

Yes, but the excuse last year was that Hawkins and Duncan would have made the difference.
Why not accept Tigers are the new dynasty team, and at some stage, they will face decline, like we did, but right now, I could see them win the next 2 if they are hungry.
Yep, they are terrific-best team in the comp for several years now but I’d be surprised if they win the next 2. That would put them into astronomical territory -and they surely aren’t the best team of all time.

or why Tigers are so good. I'm serious. Who was not thinking at half time, only 15 points down, deja-vu 2019 Prelim? That late second quarter Dusty goal was crucial for them. No way was I comfortable. The inevitability of it was depressing when it happened, but we looked physically gone, and I read somewhere we had used a lot of our quota of interchanges before half time. There will be a reason for our apparent leglessness, but most of it will be due to what Richmond does to teams.

I was, but I thought we had a different team this time that wouldn't allow richmond to take the game away from them.
And then Selwood turns it over with THAT handball from the centre and I knew nothing had changed. We lost it there.

I think Martin now goes into the conversation of the best players of all time. He’s now certainly one of the most decorated. Talk about Ablett tonight being the GOAT, I reckon the guy wearing the no.4 for them possibly now wears it.

It can be argued that he's now the best player in the current game, but GOAT?

No.

It can be argued that he's now the best player in the current game, but GOAT?

No.

You could argue it based purely on his finals form. He's easily the best of all time in finals, and since only finals truly matter you could very well argue he is.
I don't agree personally, I think he's pushing his way maybe into the top 15 or so, but not the top.
BUT.. if he wins another flag or 2 with the same kind of form you'd be holding back a flood to suggest he's not.

Yeah, but he’d need to do it consistently for 10+ years. He rarely gets tagged too. He may get there.
Might be unpopular but I think Martin’s finals performances easily shade Gary’s. Gary played 4 years of top level footy with us when it really mattered, and didn’t play in games of much consequence thereafter when he was still in his prime. The touches of magic were still there when he returned to us but the dominance was not. It has to be accepted that Martin seizes the big moments better than most in history, and finals are all about seizing the moments. And repeatedly seizing the big moments is what separates the best from the rest.

Was it a mental surrender or were they cooked? Was a warm and very humid night. All the more reason to put them away in the first 15 mind of the second half. You don't feel tired with a spirit crushing lead

mental surrender imo being at the ground.

Agree with what you are saying about Richmond. I don't know about physically gone, more about lack of mental toughness and application when heat is applied. We knew the heat was coming, but surrendered meekly. Don't mind losing, but no shots fired in anger in the second half in a GF is hard to swallow.

Yep, they are terrific-best team in the comp for several years now but I’d be surprised if they win the next 2. That would put them into astronomical territory -and they surely aren’t the best team of all time.
IF we are back playing footy in Melbourne next year, they will be even more intimidating. Their system and fitness is outstanding, and listening to Whateley interviewing their psychologist, she has made significant changes to that team, most notably Martin. He has gone from brilliant but erratic, to brilliant and ultradependable. They all play with enjoyment, and lack of fear of failure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be unpopular but I think Martin’s finals performances easily shade Gary’s. Gary played 4 years of top level footy with us when it really mattered, and didn’t play in games of much consequence thereafter when he was still in his prime. The touches of magic were still there when he returned to us but the dominance was not. It has to be accepted that Martin seizes the big moments better than most in history, and finals are all about seizing the moments. And repeatedly seizing the big moments is what separates the best from the rest.

Ablett was clearly the best player in the game for over 10 years. Martin has been for 4 years. I see your quality over quantity point but I think you forget how good Ablett was in his prime. I doubt we will see a player as good as he was then.

IF we are back playing footy in Melbourne next year, they will be even more intimidating. Their system and fitness is outstanding, and listening to Whateley interviewing their psychologist, she has made significant changes to that team, most notably Martin. He has gone from brilliant but erratic, to brilliant and ultradependable. They all play with enjoyment, and lack of fear of failure.
Sorry but blah blah blah everything has to come to a end

Sorry but blah blah blah everything has to come to a end
Have a proper listen before broadcasting your username.
She was emphasising playing the game over and over before the actual game, and almost certainly, Danger would have done that.

Seriously?
Nobody has won 3 Norm Smiths.
He's been BOG or close to it in almost all of his finals in his career (apparently).
Name a player whose been better.

Gordon Coventry kicked 112 goals in finals which includes the GF goal record and is still 34 goals more than any other player.

You might think Martin has ‘easily’ got him covered but I’m not prepared to claim that given his phenomenal record over a number of years.

Gordon Coventry kicked 112 goals in finals which includes the GF goal record and is still 34 goals more than any other player.

You might think Martin has ‘easily’ got him covered but I’m not prepared to claim that given his phenomenal record over a number of years.
Martin is the GOAT that I have seen since 1963, which goes back a way, but Coventry is way before my time.

Ablett was clearly the best player in the game for over 10 years. Martin has been for 4 years. I see your quality over quantity point but I think you forget how good Ablett was in his prime. I doubt we will see a player as good as he was then.
Abletts decision to go to the Gold Coast at the height of his career will haunt him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back