Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think I’ll rewatch that game but a few key moments stand out and the tide started going the other way. This is apart from the misses earlier in the game:

- Henry blasting the ball out of bounds on the full just before half time when he had a bit more time. The inside 50 led to the first Martin goal where we didn’t have enough cover at the front of the pack. We seemed to kick the ball OOTF an awful lot. Gets them back to within 15 points.
- After half time Riewoldt grabs Hendo’s jumper (I thought umpires look for the jumper tug?? 🙄), Hendo tries to get body position back and Riewoldt is awarded an awful free and Richmond back to 9 points
- Joel got a free out of the middle and was streaming forward but for some reason handballed to Guthrie who was unprepared which led to a turnover. Surely we had options forward.
- The missed shot from Guthrie’s turnover rolled straight into Kolo taking an awful option which led to Castagna kicking a goal from 50 which we possibly could have touched on the line with a bit more awareness. Richmond only 3 points down.
- Miers kicked a bit of a settler, then we did really well for a moment to prevent what looked a certain goal with tackling pressure, then Bewsy takes another awful option from the goal line trying to float one to Menegola about 15 metres away instead of trying to clear the 50. Bolton took a good mark. Menegola didn’t man the mark properly Bolton setup Lambert for a goal.
- Blicavs got the ball in a bit of space at the bounce and was running forward. Probably would have preferred him to kick, reasonable handball to Guthrie who rushed the kick inside 50. Blicavs arrived on the scene and had 3 players free for a handball, tried to free his arms before handballing and got pinged for HTB. Too slow. Goes up the other end and Martin kicks his second and Richmond are back in front.
Key moments for me was Menegola fighting with the umps not manning the mark causing a goal.
Was the start of our intensity drop off.
Then Stanley missing a sitter that would of put us back to 15 in front.
Tommy then doing what never works for him. Played on too quickly and missed.
3rd time in recent weeks.
Henderson not bothered to get the ball out of bounds. Just zero lack of intensity.
In a close GF WTF??? Prestia goal. Game Finished.

You what really makes me disappointed more than almost anything else (other than the obvious), Richmond just won 3 in 4 and back to back to eclipse our Great era. That's the second "dynasty" since ours that have been better, yet again you'd struggle to even suggest they were close in terms of talent and pure skill. Again, just cements the opinion that team under-achieved by atleast 2 flags (but I'll take the 3 regardless of course).
Kinda sums up being a Cats fan at times.

Why are people so desperate to compare teams across era? Who cares if Richmond and Hawks have won 3. In 5 years I won't be thinking of the Tigers 3 flags, just like I don't think about that Hawks 3-peat 5 years after. But I still and will always reminisce and watch our 3 flags.

You what really makes me disappointed more than almost anything else (other than the obvious), Richmond just won 3 in 4 and back to back to eclipse our Great era. That's the second "dynasty" since ours that have been better, yet again you'd struggle to even suggest they were close in terms of talent and pure skill. Again, just cements the opinion that team under-achieved by atleast 2 flags (but I'll take the 3 regardless of course).
Kinda sums up being a Cats fan at times.
This current tigers team would’ve beaten cats 2007-11 probably 8/10 times. Game style very challenging. Just choke up the scoring.

Why are people so desperate to compare teams across era? Who cares if Richmond and Hawks have won 3. In 5 years I won't be thinking of the Tigers 3 flags, just like I don't think about that Hawks 3-peat 5 years after. But I still and will always reminisce and watch our 3 flags.
Biased opinion. The wider football world obvious would try and compare teams that have won 3.

No.

The game has existed for over 100 years and great players deserve respect whether we were alive to see them or not.

If you think Martin has been ‘easily’ better than Coventry in finals then OK I disagree but each to their own.

But I don’t see the point in labelling something the greatest of all time if you actually mean the greatest in your lifeline.
True. Also McLeod too. And that's in our lifetime. And he actually deserved his 2 Normies.
2 of Dusty's are questionable at best.
Who knows how many great players have performed better?
Obviously Coventry for one.

Seriously?
Nobody has won 3 Norm Smiths.
He's been BOG or close to it in almost all of his finals in his career (apparently).
Name a player whose been better.
The list is too great to name them all. Obviously dusty has performed in the GF. But best ever? God that’s a bit far.

No.

The game has existed for over 100 years and great players deserve respect whether we were alive to see them or not.

If you think Martin has been ‘easily’ better than Coventry in finals then OK I disagree but each to their own.

But I don’t see the point in labelling something the greatest of all time if you actually mean the greatest in your lifeline.

Best in the AFL era, which is 30+ years, still sounds pretty good.

Before that there was the VFL but also other state leagues.

Just like you think people can't say Dusty was a better performer than Coventry, you can't say Coventry was better.

It's a 2-way street, none of us watched Coventry but we've watched Dusty.
I’m not saying Coventry was better.

True. Also McLeod too. And that's in our lifetime. And he actually deserved his 2 Normies.
2 of Dusty's are questionable at best.
Who knows how many great players have performed better?
Obviously Coventry for one.
Dusty doesn’t have an opponent most weeks so that helps.

Just like you think people can't say Dusty was a better performer than Coventry, you can't say Coventry was better.

It's a 2-way street, none of us watched Coventry but we've watched Dusty.

wasn’t Wren buying off football matches back in Coventry day??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn I was rooting for Geelong, The Tigers have had enough gf for now! Messy footy though, so much mistakes both ways but Geelong looked good then mad a mess of it. Bit of a shame the legends retiring didn’t get a fitting end.

Might be unpopular but I think Martin’s finals performances easily shade Gary’s. Gary played 4 years of top level footy with us when it really mattered, and didn’t play in games of much consequence thereafter when he was still in his prime. The touches of magic were still there when he returned to us but the dominance was not. It has to be accepted that Martin seizes the big moments better than most in history, and finals are all about seizing the moments. And repeatedly seizing the big moments is what separates the best from the rest.

Is this a joke?

Ablett went 07-13 averaging nearly 28 Brownlow votes a season before getting hurt and came back dominating in the regular season.

Are we now just acting like Ablett didn't seize moments or something? Go back and look at how good his finals performances were between 07-10. He was arguably BOG in 08 and 09 but one came in a loss. He regularly pulled mid-high 30 touch games with a goal out of his ass every final.

We forgetting "Cometh the moment, cometh the man" and many other moments he had?

Good morning everyone, firstly to those who are gutted I feel for you.
Honestly for me, last years prelim hurt more, was just in awe of Martin.
I asked some mates a few weeks ago if he was the best finals player ever and IMO last night sealed it.
Credit to Richmond, they play a game style you can’t coach against and all the players are all on the same page and it works.

If last night didn’t show anyone we need some more height and speed on the half forward flanks then I don’t know how else to show you where ewe broke down.
Cameron coming is going to be great, but we need to bring in either Evans or recruit/draft some serious speed in that position.

Anyway,
Chins up boys and girls.
This years been a fun ride and Atleast we can say in 2020 Geelong made us proud.
Have a good day and
Go the Pussy Cats

I did not want to read any of this last night but i will say now.....Collingwood as a club have been through more pain than us there fans keep bouncing back...so i say lets recruit well and let's give it another shot next year
I think they’re psycho scarred now. I mean conceding those early 3rd quarter goals again to tigers after the prelim last year was mind boggling. They just watched them win it again. They’re mentally fragile. I think cats are cooked. Jezza is gonna do a Tom Mitchell. Come to to a club that are going down!

[
Dusty doesn’t have an opponent most weeks so that helps.

Dusty is also the cream, I mean he's the best kind of cream sure and is always there to finish it off, but he's the biggest recipient of his team mates work further up the ground.
He finishes off what the richmond system gives him, and he has the composure and talent to take every chance given to him.
We need those types, I thought Hawkins was that kind of player however the QF and GF showed that he lacks in that area.
Danger never will be and is of an age now that he'll never be.
Outside of that I'm not sure if we really have any players that take those moments and take those chances more often than not?

This current tigers team would’ve beaten cats 2007-11 probably 8/10 times. Game style very challenging. Just choke up the scoring.

I don’t agree. I watched a few games recently from that era and the cats were easily the most dominant team I have ever seen. They blew apart the over-defensive football style (similar to today’s winning style) from previous years and reshaped the game.

I thought Guthrie was quite good. Took a ripping mark and kicked a great goal. Thought he had Dusty’s measure as well in the first quarter in the midfield but I just checked his heatmap and it says he didn’t have a single disposal in the 2nd and 4th quarters. Is this correct? Wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back