News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the AFL doesn’t have to like it, but if Brad gets 750k over 4/5 years, denying us band 1 is making a rod for their own back

If that’s not Band1, what is?

the growing unease between clubs and the commission will go beyond what is already thought to be at breaking point

Other clubs be like: I hate the crows, but if that isn’t good enough for Band 1, what hope do we have?

we all get shafted if they do, this is a step too far

In 2018, 55 players earned $700k plus. Assume half of 40 players per list are 25+ is about 360 players. So $700k in 2018 puts you at the bottom of the top 15%. I exoect $750k in 2020 would be about the same point. Which means that his age points need to move him up 10% for band 1. Annoyingly, I can't find the table for last year, but I presume reasonable consistency. I don't think $700k is legit band 1 based on the 2018 table.

Just a thought - but in the Herald Sun article in which "The AFL has warned clubs they should not expect to be fully compensated for the departure of their superstar free agents"

Perhaps this isn't aimed at the Crows. Perhaps this is saying don't expect that Essendon get the same for losing Daniher as Adelaide get for losing Crouch, or that GWS get the same for losing Cameron.

Maybe it is a warning to the other 2 clubs that don't expect a better pick than the crows because you're losing a better player (in the case of Cameron at least) because the compo is dependent on where you finished on the ladder. So whilst Cameron is a better player than Crouch, don't complain that the compo pick is later on. Just because Cameron is better than Crouch doesn't mean the crows compo should be pushed back to band 2 when it qualifies for band 1.

If Cameron and Daniher's contract is equivalent to Brouch's and if Brouchs is in excess of $800k, all 3 Clubs should expect Band 1.

If not they shouldnt get salty.

Joe wont get Band 1 and I dont think the Cats can afford to pay Cameron >$800k, so they will both likely get Band 2.

Fortuitous for us and not for them, that we find ourselves losing our "best mid" on a massive contract to a Club with salary cap space.

This isnt the Crows fault. This is the system in place.

If Cameron and Daniher's contract is equivalent to Brouch's and if Brouchs is in excess of $800k, all 3 Clubs should expect Band 1.

If not they shouldnt get salty.

Joe wont get Band 1 and I dont think the Cats can afford to pay Cameron >$800k, so they will both likely get Band 2.

Fortuitous for us and not for them, that we find ourselves losing our "best mid" on a massive contract to a Club with salary cap space.

This isnt the Crows fault. This is the system in place.
That's my point exactly. The leaked email be less of a "you're not getting band 1 for crouch so get used to the idea" and more of a warning to the other clubs that the compo on offer will be after the Crows because the crows came last therefore their band 1 is pick 2.

I also agree Brisbane won't be offering a high enough contract to give the bomber band 1 compo.

I think the leaked email was more a case of the AFL pre-empting the public and Vic media whinging that the crows get pick 2 and GWS and Essendon are only getting xyz

I listened to Rendell and I’m not convinced he’s across everything he needs to be across. He got the whole Binuk things completely wrong, and I don’t buy his certainty about pick 2.

Newchurch is another that seems to go against the general feel. Didn’t mention Holland as an option. All about Thilthorpe.

I tend to agree, I think there was a fair bit of opinion being passed, intentionally or not, as “in the know“ there. He’s very much prone to a bit of grandstanding, loves the out there, contentious statement. Is always interesting to listen to, but not sure how much to take out of what he says.

Also worth noting that Rendell was horrible when it came to trading, creating the Noble List Manager role was the best thing Craig did.

wRT our first pick, I reckon we’re going to be extremely coy about who we’re picking. We’re going to want both North with JUH and Sydney with Cambell worrying about potential bids and coming to us with deals.

wRT our first pick, I reckon we’re going to be extremely coy about who we’re picking. We’re going to want both North with JUH and Sydney with Cambell worrying about potential bids and coming to us with deals.

They wont need to "worry", it will be almost a deadset lock that we will bid on them, given our history of doing so in the past.

Thats how we wield our power in the 2020 draft, we become like Richmond in the Finals. :drunk:

2020 Draft - The Real Finals Series Begins.

anyone able to summarise what kelly said this morning on SEN? I missed the interview

Didn't say a lot but I wish he would quicken his speech. What I took out of it was that we are pretty much just focusing on the draft but keeping our ears open for a trade if someone of interest becomes available. Also mentioned we were happy to keep Brad if we weren't adequately compensated. Was asked about Treloar but sounds like we hadn't enquired.

Last edited:
I tend to agree, I think there was a fair bit of opinion being passed, intentionally or not, as “in the know“ there. He’s very much prone to a bit of grandstanding, loves the out there, contentious statement. Is always interesting to listen to, but not sure how much to take out of what he says.

Also worth noting that Rendell was horrible when it came to trading, creating the Noble List Manager role was the best thing Craig did.

Can you give some example of poor Rendell trades? Because Noble tended to get bent over the barrel trade wise himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you give some example of poor Rendell trades? Because Noble tended to get bent over the barrel trade wise himself.
He agreed to trade Ben Hudson to the Western Bulldogs for their second round selection of Pick 22, at which point they then promptly did a mass pick swap with the Eagles who got 22 and gave back 30, which came to us. So Pick 22 for Hudson on Monday became Pick 30 by the end of the period.

He admitted at the time that he should have been more diligent and just took the Bulldogs on their word.

An in the know poster on the dogs board who’s a player agent has said it’s an absolute 100% guarantee that you guys won’t bid on JUH at pick 1.

He agreed to trade Ben Hudson to the Western Bulldogs for their second round selection of Pick 22, at which point they then promptly did a mass pick swap with the Eagles who got 22 and gave back 30, which came to us. So Pick 22 for Hudson on Monday became Pick 30 by the end of the period.

He admitted at the time that he should have been more diligent and just took the Bulldogs on their word.

Honestly it sounds like less of a *up than Dangerfield so still not sure the appointment of Noble as list manager was a good thing.

Im with you... but..

I believe the free agency compo system wasnt implemented for the reasons you have given.. I think it was actually to enable the sh*t teams to use their salary cap space to grab a free agent from one the top teams who in theory should have less salary cap space to throw big dollars at their player..

So its actually doing the very opposite to what it is meant to do unfortunately!..
Actually, I thought FA was brought in to meet AFLPA demands and head off any threats to go to court over restraint of trade issues?

So with a FA system in place, it then becomes a case of compensating clubs fairly so a player of the same standard leaving, a weak struggling club suffers much more than a strong successful club so the weak club gets a good compo than the strong club - this is part of equalisation.

Still not good for the clubs players are leaving but at least he struggling clubs are getting some help.

sounds like a deal to get pick 13 has already been set up with us then...happy days
Bottom line with the Bulldogs pick 12 is that we can secure it if we want it. We might have to give up more than its worth points wise, but we control pick 1 and probably 2 and we have plenty of collateral points wise and will only get more. We should have 1,2,8,12 and 20 as a minimum going into this draft.

Bottom line with the Bulldogs pick 12 is that we can secure it if we want it. We might have to give up more than its worth points wise, but we control pick 1 and probably 2 and we have plenty of collateral points wise and will only get more. We should have 1,2,8,12 and 20 as a minimum going into this draft.
And if it ends up like that, I would want us to use the first 4 picks on top end kids - 1 tall and 3 mids and then look to take the best offer we can get for future pick(s) for pick 20 for any sliders. We then also get Hately, Borlace, Newchurch and Edwards

What an absolute boon that would be for our rebuild..that is almost GWS / GC type draft hauls from the past

And if it ends up like that, I would want us to use the first 4 picks on top end kids - 1 tall and 3 mids and then look to take the best offer we can get for future pick(s) for pick 20 for any sliders. We then also get Hately, Borlace, Newchurch and Edwards

What an absolute boon that would be for our rebuild..that is almost GWS / GC type draft hauls from the past

while that sounds fun, do we have enough room?

That’s what I think. We might not get an opportunity like this for another 30 years so we have to make hay this year and next.
McDonald, Holland’s, Macrae and O’Driscoll this year and 2 first rounders next year, combined with Newchurch and Borlase and we honestly will be setting the club up for the next 15 years.
virtually no one should be off limits on our list to achieve that, even Talia and Matt Crouch as pre agents.

That’s what I think. We might not get an opportunity like this for another 30 years so we have to make hay this year and next.
McDonald, Holland’s, Macrae and O’Driscoll this year and 2 first rounders next year, combined with Newchurch and Borlase and we honestly will be setting the club up for the next 15 years.
virtually no one should be off limits on our list to achieve that, even Talia and Matt Crouch as pre agents.

I realise he isn’t the bible for everything but Cal Twomey doesn’t have O’Driscoll in his top 30.

Why are you keen on him with 13?

I want Ford and Cook, ftr.

An in the know poster on the dogs board who’s a player agent has said it’s an absolute 100% guarantee that you guys won’t bid on JUH at pick 1.
How would a Bulldogs poster know the about the inner thoughts of AFC... unless the Bullies have agreed to trade their 1st round pick to the Crows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back