Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC most of the criticism is because the director is a convicted child molester who shouldn’t have been allowed behind a camera again.

Well there you go. Didn't know that. None of the reviews on IMDB mention it.

Well there you go. Didn't know that. None of the reviews on IMDB mention it.

Yeah, his IMDB bio is weird, seems very keen to keep his indiscretions hidden. His Wiki too I think.

IIRC most of the criticism is because the director is a convicted child molester who shouldn’t have been allowed behind a camera again.

Hollywood: We are progressive people of irrefutable moral fiber! Remember to vote! Trump out!

Also Hollywood: Continues to find work for this dude, John Landis, Roman Polanski, etc.

Schindler's List

Watched it last night for the first time, good film didn't pull on my heart strings though.

7.5/10

A loveable romp through war time Poland?

More like I have very little to no sympathy for the movie while the Israelis are doing just as woeful crimes to the Palestinians.

But that's a whole other issue.

Jesus dude, the victims of the Holocaust overwhelmingly weren't involved in the persecution of Palestinians - there's space to be sympathetic to the plights of both!

The Last Black Man in San Francisco - two twenty-something African American friends living in the slums of San Francisco and spend their days roaming aimlessly, often visiting the childhood home of one, in a formerly poorer, now gentrified inner city suburb. When the house is vacated due to an estate dispute, they move back in there and make it their home again. The first half of this I found a gorgeous masterpiece, and I honestly audibly gasped at some of the amazing shots in there. I felt it tried to tackle a few too many themes in the second half and lost its ground a little, but still loved this great movie. The film's capturing the beauty of the city was awesome (and made me want to get on a plane for there today! :'(), with the house a beautiful Victorian one, and I also loved the score. Small roles in the cast going to prominent San Franciscans, from Danny Glover to Jello Biafra (of the Dead Kennedys) to Jamal Trulove (whose framed conviction for murder by the San Franciscan police has been used as an attack on Kamala Harris) were a nice touch.

The Outpost - a film about the Afghan War, starring the sons of Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson, from a director whose previous film was about Reagan's assassination attempt which had been based on a book by Bill O'Reilly? I was excited for a hardcore right wing action propaganda piece! I found the first half a bit of a drag, with overly macho bravado of mostly thinly drawn characters and not much going on. The second half was based around the action setpiece of a 45 minute battle scene, as their (incredibly stupidly located, albeit accurate to the true story the film's telling) base at the bottom of a deep valley came under assault from the Taliban. This second half of the film was relentlessly tense and very well done, not afraid to let us keep our bearings of who is where and why, despite the intensity of the action. Very well done on that front, not as offensive as it could've been, all around a good war movie.

DIRT MUSIC
Good looking film,but most things that happen in it just seem implausible.Gets a tick for a pub scene showing pissed fisho crew after a killer unload,
another tick for some excellent product placement of Emu Export.
The music was average unless you think The Waifs are the greatest band in the world.
5/10

More like I have very little to no sympathy for the movie while the Israelis are doing just as woeful crimes to the Palestinians.

But that's a whole other issue.
They’re gassing and executing Palestinians in their millions?! I’m a critic of many IsraelI policies since the war but there’s no excuse ever for genocide.

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot - made about 15 minutes in and switched it off. Pretty much self indulgent garbage from Kevin Smith. Reminded me why I was so lukewarm on the last Jay and Silent Bob movie. He peaked at Dogma and slid from there.

Borat 2 - would have preferred to watch this in the cinema as streaming allows you the temptation of skipping ahead if I felt it was going to be hard to watch. What a comic revelation in the daughter though. Still very funny and biting (7/10)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot - made about 15 minutes in and switched it off. Pretty much self indulgent garbage from Kevin Smith. Reminded me why I was so lukewarm on the last Jay and Silent Bob movie. He peaked at Dogma and slid from there.

I'm more curious to watch his He-Man cartoon than I am this one and I loved the early Kevin Smith movies (agreed he peaks with Dogma). Full fan service might suit him better now than indie director.

Nocturne - one of the three blumhouse to Prime “horror” thrillers. Think black swan/suspiria lite set in an arts school. Don’t expect too much and you’ll be fine 7/10

The Lighthouse - ... I clearly didn’t get it. Dafoe and Pattinson commit to their parts but ultimately it’s a meandering boring mess dressed up as arthouse. 4/10 I guess

I watched two on television yesterday, Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children from 2016 and Ski Party from 1964.

Some Tim Burton movies can be a bit weird for my liking, but they got all aspects of Miss Peregrine right, and with a good cast of experienced and young actors combining well, an interesting and original plot and good special effects this was an excellent movie, one of the best fantasy films I have seen in years.

As for Ski Party, sometimes I really enjoy watching old movies from the 1960s, like some of the beach movies (Ski Party fits into this genre, although the action moves from the beach to a ski resort), the many movies starring Elvis Presley and the live action Batman movies spun off from the TV series in the same era. Many of these movies are campy and kitsch, very dated with terrible acting but fun and completely harmless, a symbol of more innocent times now sadly gone. These movies give you a good laugh, for example I remember watching Elvis movie 'Girl Happy' one wet Sunday and was in stitches the whole time laughing at how bad it was, but definitely 'so bad it's good'.

Ski Party was different however. It was bad, really bad, but not all that entertaining either, just bad. Even at the time it was released, I think teenagers who liked beach movies would have come away from the cinema or drive in unimpressed by what they had seen. Getting popular singer Lesley Gore to be among the teenagers heading up to the ski resort on a bus and lead them all in a sing along was a good idea and she does have a good voice. However, if making the movie you might want to actually show Lesley getting off the bus when it reaches its destination, rather than vanishing completely after her cameo.

Badlands (1973)

Terrence Malick's debut film, starring Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek as a then-contemporary Bonnie & Clyde, set in South Dakota.

Both charming and unsettling, Sheen is Kit. A lost but driven young white man in a place forgotten by time, who is parts conscientious and others completely devoid of empathy.

Very good film.

A few I have seen lately.

at close range - crazy because it is based on real life, Christopher Walken is outstanding in this film, a really great actor when he wants to be and this is one of his best for sure, if you’re a fan of his this is a must watch. 7/10

The intern - I liked this one a fair bit, is a bit of a chick flick but it’s a good one, casting is spot on here, worth a watch 7/10

10 to midnight - Charles Bronson, what more needs to be said, although this one is slightly different as is kind of a mix of a horror slasher/cop movie, 6.5/10

The falcon and the snowman - another based off a true story which makes it interesting because of that, Sean Penn is good in this 6.5/10

The discovery - sci fi, not bad, good cast, Rooney Mara the standout, enjoy most of her work 6.5/10

cobra verde - herzog/kinski team up again for this interesting movie, it’s always a ride with herzog behind the camera and kinski in front of it and this one doesn’t disappoint either 7/10

first they killed my father - cambodia genocide from a little girls p.o.v based off the book she wrote, heartbreaking, devastating what happened in Cambodia in the Khmer Rouge years 7/10

Borat 2 - would have preferred to watch this in the cinema as streaming allows you the temptation of skipping ahead if I felt it was going to be hard to watch. What a comic revelation in the daughter though. Still very funny and biting (7/10)
I really enjoyed borat 2. It hit the spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back