Review Winners and Losers of the 2020 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs have set themselves up in a vulnerable position in the next few trade periods. Super overcrowded midfield and salary cap problems will cause them to leak players in the near future. If they win a flag of course its all worth it but it was overly opportunistic to grab Treloar and not trade anyone out (given their current midfield). Other clubs will be monitoring the situation with interest and will start putting work into Bulldogs players to try and get them on the cheap. I'm sure there will be more than a few midfielders at the Bulldogs that might be interested in actually playing through the midfield.

Its also unclear to me that as a team they will be significantly stronger. They probably end up moving Bontempelli back forward where he is good at general forward play until he has to take a set shot. Then they replace Bontempelli's classy disposal through the midfield with Treloar's. Guys like Dunkley will play less time through the midfield and more up forward as well.
Their setup reminds me of when Buckley was playing about 18 midfielders at the Pies with rent-a-crowd backs and forwards. Unless you are West Coast 2005 quality midfield its not generally not been a winning formula historically

Would be happy to wager the Dogs will never get an offer for Dunkley like the Bombers offered again. Nice player but he is never going to be worth 2 firsts and will see even less midfield minutes with Treloar coming in

Total arrogance and delusion

Its Dodos job to know this stuff in advance that’s what makes a good list manager but he clearly thought he could f... us over

If he was captain of the titanic you would be saying calm down who would have expected an iceberg

But hey continue withe your delusional hero worship it’s worked out fantastic for you so far

Btw our midfield numbers are the same now as 2016 so we will be fine and unlike Joe D dunks will be fine and if not we trade him next year to the highest bidder

You don't understand the meaning of arrogance and delusion do you. It's funny, given the arrogant tone of your invaluable comments on the topic...

It is a list managers job to look at ways to improve the list. It isn't arrogant to put a strong offer on the table for a good player that indicated he wanted to come to the club, it's ambitious. Clearly he may have been naive about what the Dogs were going to demand, but it isn't deluded to think that pick 7 and a future 2nd round could get a player of Dunkley's ability across.

It's amazing you're so hell bent on painting this picture of him being inept at his job because he didn't pay ridiculous overs to get the player. If the shoe was on the other foot and we had have got him for 7 and a future 1st, we would have been the laughing stock of trade week. I'd much prefer the position that we are in now then selling the farm for a player that isn't even in the elite players of his own team, let alone the competition.

Would be happy to wager the Dogs will never get an offer for Dunkley like the Bombers offered again. Nice player but he is never going to be worth 2 firsts and will see even less midfield minutes with Treloar coming in

Essendon didn't offer 2 firsts, that's the issue.

Losing Witherden for poor draft picks just confuses me so I’d say we probably came out even not a win or lose

.....and apparently paying for at least some of his salary. How did that come about?
Something unknown about the player? TPP issues? I just doesn't seem right?

Essendon - Key target was Dunkley, got him to nominate and the messed the whole thing up. That's not good.
Brisbane - Boom or bust on their recruits. Get them right and they're the big winners.
Carlton - Happy with the net result. Targeted three types - Got the three types.
Dogs - Got a good player relatively cheap, but did they really get the player they wanted?

Yeah I know because he isn't worth that. I'm saying they will never get offered a top 8 pick plus an early second again. That was a very good offer for him imo and don't think they'll get that offer on the table again

I'd rather take pick 15 in a draft where the Vic kids have played the past year then pick 8 this year. Much bigger lottery than usual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we don't get an offer similar if he nominates for a trade again, but the objective would be to keep him happy and keep him at the club. If he re-signs in the future then we've already won.

The offer may have been high in draft points, but it was pretty useless to us.

How did the Dogs do well?

While I agree they got Treloar for a steal, all things considered it's going to go down as a stuff up in a couple of years time when they lose Dunkley for a second round pick.

His value is diminishing and he will be seeing even less midfield time - the only place he shines - with Treloar's arrival.

Offered pick 7 and a future 2nd from the team that some would expect to finish last next year is just overs in general for a player like him.

They've had ongoing problems with having a surplus of inside mids for years now and it hasn't got them anywhere in regards to finals action, so this can't necessarily be expected to be any sort of panacea.

Dunkley had to start last year out of the midfield and at half forward after killing it in there towards the end of 2018, and did nothing until put in there from the game against Richmond, and then this year with Smith's emergence he was back to being almost exclusively out, and having next to no impact.

It's just not going to work.

There's only so many onballers you can play; and yeah they can spend time elsewhere, but they are usually just a shell of themselves, especially when it's not a permanent role that they can get accustomed to and have to keep chopping and changing; leading to them getting disgruntled due to not being played in their favourite "fun" spot and leaving on the cheap themselves anyway.
Will see huh. Dunkley has two years on contract and with the quarters back to norm he will play more time in the guts. Do your research before looking silly he wasn't in the middle in the first half a year because he was out for 6 weeks with a serious ankle injury.

Maybe we don't get an offer similar if he nominates for a trade again, but the objective would be to keep him happy and keep him at the club. If he re-signs in the future then we've already won.

The offer may have been high in draft points, but it was pretty useless to us.

The mooted 3 way trade was pretty close to the mark, probably needed less to go to Collingwood and more to the Dogs, but was close.

Ended up with Treloar and a future 1st for Dunkley, plus a swap of picks for points in 2020 for 14.

Dogs the big losers, Dunkley will average 15 touches in the forward pocket during 2021/2 and be Toby Mclean'd. He'll then get traded for pick 38 in two years time.

Dogs the big losers, Dunkley will average 15 touches in the forward pocket during 2021/2 and be Toby Mclean'd. He'll then get traded for pick 38 in two years time.
🤣

Could have easily traded pick 8 for a first next year from someone like the Pies

Teams were very reluctant to trade out of next years first round, Lions the only team so far with two 2021 first rounders

But then it's Ned Guy so who knows..8 for next years first and second rounders would have been possible

You need to pay overs for a contracted player a club wants to keep.

To target a player then refuse to pay the overs needed to get him is a poor look & wasting everyone's time.

It sends a terrible message to any player they’re targeting in future - which is that they won’t have done the groundwork to ensure it gets done and have talked to the other club (I mean seriously), that they arent sure they have the pieces to get it done, and they’ll hang you out to dry publicly if you request a trade. Also that Dodoro cares more about winning the trade than fulfilling his approach and commitment to a player.

Pickering will be furious at Dodoro and it will certainly restrict their options going into the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back