Review Winners and Losers of the 2020 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

So an epic fail is walking away from selling the farm for a player when you finish 13th with an elite KPF, a small forward and one of the best HBs in the league walking out of the door? Lol.

Dodoro did the right thing. Dunkley is great for us at a reasonable price so I'm glad we went after him. Dogs' demand wasn't reasonable so we walked away. Dogs can set the price at anything they want, but turning the collective value of Daniher and Saad into Dunkley is way overs for a struggling club, which is what dogs were essentially asking for. No problem walking away from that.
You are missing the point

Dogs position never changed and you idiots should never have promised what you couldnt deliver

Long post but here are my ratings of every team
Adelaide - B: Get Hately for free. Got overs for Atkins in free agency but didn't get the compensation they were after for Crouch and didn't try and force a trade.
Brisbane - C: Daniher is the question mark. IF they fix his body, they win a premiership and it looks amazing. If they don't this period gets an E as they traded Witherden for peanuts and Cockatoo is also very iffy. Big question marks but, I think Daniher will finally become the best Key Forward in the comp in Brisbane and they win a flag this year.
Carlton - C: Paid massive overs for Williams (I'd pay no more than 500k over 4 years), and Essendon got what they wanted for Saad. These moves make them better but they paid too much to get them IMO. They shoulve targetted an inside mid such as Dunstan or Brodie. Fogarty is a nice addition.
Collingwood - E: I think people are missing the issue, it wasn't the moves in this period that were the issue, yes they were bad but shocking moves in 2018 and 2019 caused this to happen. The club has lied continuously and treated the supporters like morons. The only reason it isn't an F is that the best 22 hasn't changed much as I believe they picked the right players to move on besides Stephenson and Atu. They should've tried to move on Hoskin-Elliot & THomas, even if they would've netted 0 value. Just so many bad moves lead to this. Also, the lying to the players isn't good and morale seems as if it will be affected.. Ned Guy has to leave with Bucks and Eddie on high alert (1 more year)
Essendon - A: Considering how many players wanted to leave, they have done a sensational job. Won every trade they were involved in and didn't bend to the Bulldogs will and pay overs for Dunkley whose value will only go down with Treloar moving to the Dogs.
Fremantle - C: Lost Hogan for unders potential wise IMO but wasn't in Longmuirs plans so that is that. Natural progression wih this team
Geelong - C: Cameron is a big in but caved to GWS in giving up 3 picks. Gave overs for Higgins and the Smith signing baffles me. All I know is they are going all out for a flag and are going to struggle in the mid 2020s with the complete de-focus on youth but for their sake, hopefully they have a flag.
Gold Coast - D: Atkins on that money was baffling, he was getting de-listed I would've thought. Got Markov at a reasonable price but lost Wright for unders.
GWS - A: Like Essendon, did amazing with the hand they were dealt. Got good value for every player leaving besides Caldwell but he wasn't best 22 and fixed their ruck issue and Hogan if fit, should help.
Hawthorn - B: The Kyle Hartigan move baffles me but they got him for good value as he didn't affect the Smith compensation. Tom Phillips is a very good get in my eyes and he is a direct replacement for Smith and stolen at an absolute bargain.
Melbourne - C: Made a bad pick swap with Brisbane in my eyes but got Brown at a nice bargain. Lost Preuss which doesn't change their best 22 but didn't get grea value for him. Didn't address their need for a winger or off-load McDonald.
North Melbourne - B: Got great value for Higgins but lost Brown pretty cheap. Absolutely robbed Collingwood stealing Stephenson and Bosenavulagi for cheap. Lachie Young was received for nothing and the Aidan Corr signing while making them better, does seem overs but they do need to reach 95% of the cap.
Port Adelaide - B: Could very well end up an A depending on how Fantasia recovers but they did pay overs for him IMO. Aliir Aliir was an absolute steal and fixed their one pressing need of a taller defender.
Richmond - C: Didn't do much but they don't need to. I think the loss of Higgins for cheap will come back to bite them like Butler as I can't believe Castagna gets games ahead of him. Markov was lost for cheap but he is just depth.
St Kilda - A: Called the Crows bluff on Crouch having to give up nothing for him. Higgins also is another great get. Didn't fix their need for a key defender but they are in a good spot IMO. Should push for top 4 next year
Sydney - E: Lost Aliir who fits the rebuild massively for virtually nothing and paid overs for Hickey who is a tap ruck and nothing more. Will get the 2 academy players but they were the 2nd worst team over the period.
West Coast - A: Didn't do much but got great value wherever they looked. Witherden is a steal and Langdon could prove to be helpful. Got Sydneys 3rd back for Hickey and lost their 2nd but I think they will only be 5-10 picks away from each other so that is nothing.
Western Bulldogs - D: I didn't like this period from them plain and simple. Great get with Treloar for massive unders but he is just more of what they already have. They got Martin but I don't see how he helps them at all as even though they lost the hit out count most games, their midfield generally won most battles. Hannan is very average and just another average smaller forward which they have so many of. THey didn't address any of their actual needs like a good forward or a key defender or 2. THey held onto Dunkley who now, only loses value as Treloar will be playing which means he gets less midfield time. Why didn't they try and flip him to essendon for one first, a future 2nd and Hurley. Can have as good midfield as you want but when you have a bottom 3 forward line in the comp, will just not convert those inside 50s.
I rate your post a total fail!

Yeah, I don't get why the Dogs are being considered a winner based on trade period alone. Sure, they got Treloar cheap, but imo he's the most overrated player in the league and one of two players along with Dylan Shiel that I see as being a microcosm of everything that could be considered wrong in the modern game.

They're both great athletes and can find the footy with ease, but their decision making and disposal, especially under pressure, is ******* atrocious. I also don't see the fit at all in the Dogs' midfield. They've already got enough blokes there that rack up the pill without being particularly damaging with the ball, and Treloar is just another one of those.
Keep telling yourself that, it won’t make it true

It's just an opinion, mate, and I know I'm not alone in thinking Treloar is hugely overrated.

But hey, if you're happy to have him at the Dogs and the club's happy then who cares what I or anyone else thinks.
It’s a cliche about his disposal, if you move at his pace you will have turnovers just as Danger does.

more than happy with him at a bargain price

Why the toxicity of these posts? What’s wrong with what this post said? Don’t have to be nasty.

What he said sounds right.

The club has had to reset again. It’s gone through a supplements saga many clubs wouldn’t have survived, lost draft pics, lost players and been dragged through the mud for 8 years. It finally got through it, built a strong list, great facility but couldn’t provide an environment to bring it together the last 3 years to deliver on field results.. That’s not Adrian’s fault. It’s a much broader dysfunctional club issue.

It’s now undertaking a significant much needed review and out of it Essendon supporters hope it yields a club prepared to address widespread systemic issues that have existed for years and held the club back. Fix injury management, bed down game plan, clear alignment of coaches, address player development and leadership on and off field.

List management hasn’t been anywhere near the biggest issue impacting the club the last 10 years I can be certain if that. Adrian got quality in the door but the club didn’t provide an environment they could succeed in. As Fantasia said this week in trying to explain what happened amongst other things, the “players didn’t gel”.

Adrian is now pivoting to regenerate its foundation again with high end draft pics to support an already in place raft of talent under 23 years of age. Next year and year after it will then add experienced quality free agents to fill gaps and balance out this list. It tried with Dunkley this year, it will try again next year with others.

This will now take 2 years. Most Essendon people realise and accept that. If you want to throw around cheap shots like 6,000 days rubbish then good luck to you.

21E1A918-BF4D-4423-AB6B-0EA1324F9915.jpeg
F5529655-E8AE-44A6-B827-EAB50999D052.jpeg

You are missing the point

Dogs position never changed and you idiots should never have promised what you couldnt deliver
Dogs position changed three times.
1. Under never circumstance we are Trading Dunkley
2. We want two first round picks
3. We want 2 premium first round picks.

Moved the goal posts 3 times. Amateur hour. Dogs probably realise we could of satisfied number 2 and then they moved the goal posts.

Moved the goal posts 3 times. Amateur hour. Dogs probably realise we could of satisfied number 2 and then they moved the goal posts.
A bit salty.

Targeting a player who has 2 years left on his contract you would expect to pay overs.

Not sure why you guys didn't offer picks 7,8 and with a future second round coming back.

Yeah, I don't get why the Dogs are being considered a winner based on trade period alone. Sure, they got Treloar cheap, but imo he's the most overrated player in the league and one of two players along with Dylan Shiel that I see as being a microcosm of everything that could be considered wrong in the modern game.

They're both great athletes and can find the footy with ease, but their decision making and disposal, especially under pressure, is ******* atrocious. I also don't see the fit at all in the Dogs' midfield. They've already got enough blokes there that rack up the pill without being particularly damaging with the ball, and Treloar is just another one of those.
They are paying him $600k, which its about right.

Adelaide - B: Get Hately for free. Got overs for Atkins in free agency but didn't get the compensation they were after for Crouch and didn't try and force a trade.
Brisbane - C: Daniher is the question mark. IF they fix his body, they win a premiership and it looks amazing. If they don't this period gets an E as they traded Witherden for peanuts and Cockatoo is also very iffy. Big question marks but, I think Daniher will finally become the best Key Forward in the comp in Brisbane and they win a flag this year.
Carlton - C: Paid massive overs for Williams (I'd pay no more than 500k over 4 years), and Essendon got what they wanted for Saad. These moves make them better but they paid too much to get them IMO. They shoulve targetted an inside mid such as Dunstan or Brodie. Fogarty is a nice addition.
Collingwood - E: I think people are missing the issue, it wasn't the moves in this period that were the issue, yes they were bad but shocking moves in 2018 and 2019 caused this to happen. The club has lied continuously and treated the supporters like morons. The only reason it isn't an F is that the best 22 hasn't changed much as I believe they picked the right players to move on besides Stephenson and Atu. They should've tried to move on Hoskin-Elliot & THomas, even if they would've netted 0 value. Just so many bad moves lead to this. Also, the lying to the players isn't good and morale seems as if it will be affected.. Ned Guy has to leave with Bucks and Eddie on high alert (1 more year)
Essendon - A: Considering how many players wanted to leave, they have done a sensational job. Won every trade they were involved in and didn't bend to the Bulldogs will and pay overs for Dunkley whose value will only go down with Treloar moving to the Dogs.
Fremantle - C: Lost Hogan for unders potential wise IMO but wasn't in Longmuirs plans so that is that. Natural progression wih this team
Geelong - C: Cameron is a big in but caved to GWS in giving up 3 picks. Gave overs for Higgins and the Smith signing baffles me. All I know is they are going all out for a flag and are going to struggle in the mid 2020s with the complete de-focus on youth but for their sake, hopefully they have a flag.
Gold Coast - D: Atkins on that money was baffling, he was getting de-listed I would've thought. Got Markov at a reasonable price but lost Wright for unders.
GWS - A: Like Essendon, did amazing with the hand they were dealt. Got good value for every player leaving besides Caldwell but he wasn't best 22 and fixed their ruck issue and Hogan if fit, should help.
Hawthorn - B: The Kyle Hartigan move baffles me but they got him for good value as he didn't affect the Smith compensation. Tom Phillips is a very good get in my eyes and he is a direct replacement for Smith and stolen at an absolute bargain.
Melbourne - C: Made a bad pick swap with Brisbane in my eyes but got Brown at a nice bargain. Lost Preuss which doesn't change their best 22 but didn't get grea value for him. Didn't address their need for a winger or off-load McDonald.
North Melbourne - B: Got great value for Higgins but lost Brown pretty cheap. Absolutely robbed Collingwood stealing Stephenson and Bosenavulagi for cheap. Lachie Young was received for nothing and the Aidan Corr signing while making them better, does seem overs but they do need to reach 95% of the cap.
Port Adelaide - B: Could very well end up an A depending on how Fantasia recovers but they did pay overs for him IMO. Aliir Aliir was an absolute steal and fixed their one pressing need of a taller defender.
Richmond - C: Didn't do much but they don't need to. I think the loss of Higgins for cheap will come back to bite them like Butler as I can't believe Castagna gets games ahead of him. Markov was lost for cheap but he is just depth.
St Kilda - A: Called the Crows bluff on Crouch having to give up nothing for him. Higgins also is another great get. Didn't fix their need for a key defender but they are in a good spot IMO. Should push for top 4 next year
Sydney - E: Lost Aliir who fits the rebuild massively for virtually nothing and paid overs for Hickey who is a tap ruck and nothing more. Will get the 2 academy players but they were the 2nd worst team over the period.
West Coast - A: Didn't do much but got great value wherever they looked. Witherden is a steal and Langdon could prove to be helpful. Got Sydneys 3rd back for Hickey and lost their 2nd but I think they will only be 5-10 picks away from each other so that is nothing.
Western Bulldogs - D: I didn't like this period from them plain and simple. Great get with Treloar for massive unders but he is just more of what they already have. They got Martin but I don't see how he helps them at all as even though they lost the hit out count most games, their midfield generally won most battles. Hannan is very average and just another average smaller forward which they have so many of. THey didn't address any of their actual needs like a good forward or a key defender or 2. THey held onto Dunkley who now, only loses value as Treloar will be playing which means he gets less midfield time. Why didn't they try and flip him to essendon for one first, a future 2nd and Hurley. Can have as good midfield as you want but when you have a bottom 3 forward line in the comp, will just not convert those inside 50s.

A for Essendon

D for the Bulldogs

Seems legit.

Also if Hawthorn acquiring Hartigan baffles you then I assume you think Frawley, Lake, Gibson and Spanger are still on our list.

So an epic fail is walking away from selling the farm for a player when you finish 13th with an elite KPF, a small forward and one of the best HBs in the league walking out of the door? Lol.

Dodoro did the right thing. Dunkley is great for us at a reasonable price so I'm glad we went after him. Dogs' demand wasn't reasonable so we walked away. Dogs can set the price at anything they want, but turning the collective value of Daniher and Saad into Dunkley is way overs for a struggling club, which is what dogs were essentially asking for. No problem walking away from that.

To decide the win or loss, what were Essendon's holes before trade week and what are they after ?

Hawks desperately needed a key back to replace Frawley and a wing to replace Henderson and Smith.

We could also use a key forward unless Clarko thinks Mitch Lewis steps up this year.

We covered the first 2 for nothing. The 3rd is the unknown. But Im very happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood and Sydney got the same grade as well... also Melbourne as a C? They lost a 25 year old that's played 18 games for pick 31 how is that not great value?

You are wrong

1st statement was made before he formally requested a trade
2nd statement after he requested a trade said nothing other than he was a required player
Only other public statement was Sam Power on trade Radio where he stated we would be open to anything that improves our list. He clearly did not commit to anything in the interview (why not go and listen to it). He agreed either the interviewees that at least 2 first rounders .

it was always at least two first rounders and this was never offered. Any idiot even a Dodo could work out the words ”at least” do not mean picks 17&18 in a draft where they are likely to be pushed further back.

Dodo stuffed up big time! you can spin it all you like but thats not changing

Dogs have set themselves up in a vulnerable position in the next few trade periods. Super overcrowded midfield and salary cap problems will cause them to leak players in the near future. If they win a flag of course its all worth it but it was overly opportunistic to grab Treloar and not trade anyone out (given their current midfield). Other clubs will be monitoring the situation with interest and will start putting work into Bulldogs players to try and get them on the cheap. I'm sure there will be more than a few midfielders at the Bulldogs that might be interested in actually playing through the midfield.

Its also unclear to me that as a team they will be significantly stronger. They probably end up moving Bontempelli back forward where he is good at general forward play until he has to take a set shot. Then they replace Bontempelli's classy disposal through the midfield with Treloar's. Guys like Dunkley will play less time through the midfield and more up forward as well.

Mate when you won’t admit to an epic fail it’s hard to take you seriously

The bombers went all out for Dunkley offering a mega contract for him and a charity one for his brother

whatever spin you want to put on it it’s a massive fail. in your arrogance you forgot the most important thing what price would get the seller to sell

Even Dodo himself admitted he would not have accepted the offer

Extraordinary arrogance and epic fail
Mate your aggressiveness in your posts are almost unsettling
josh wanted to come to essendon
essendon made him a financial offer that was far superior to his current wage
the bombers made the bulldogs a fair offer which was probably over market value
the bulldogs quite rightly didn’t want to lose their player and rejected the offer
i don’t see why you are so emotional
the interesting after story is the bulldogs then trade for treloar who will be paid about double what josh gets albeit with Collingwood contributing significantly
adam will also take time in a crowded midfield
josh wanted to leave the bulldogs because of a crowded midfield and you added to it
we will most likely have another crack at josh if there is another trade period where you will probably receive a better offer again or possibly next year when your bargaining hand is a shade less
go watch the 2016 gf and get happy

You miss the point

if you had done the proper due diligence you would have known the price was to high

As it was Dodo arrogantly thought Power would fold.

Dont promise a contracted player something unless you can deliver because the next one will not believe you

It was a shrewd move on Ports part to trade their future 2nd. Completely removed their future 1st from the discussion. Did they even need Aliir? Showed real acumen whilst giving the middle finger to Dodoro.

Dogs have set themselves up in a vulnerable position in the next few trade periods. Super overcrowded midfield and salary cap problems will cause them to leak players in the near future. If they win a flag of course its all worth it but it was overly opportunistic to grab Treloar and not trade anyone out (given their current midfield). Other clubs will be monitoring the situation with interest and will start putting work into Bulldogs players to try and get them on the cheap. I'm sure there will be more than a few midfielders at the Bulldogs that might be interested in actually playing through the midfield.

Its also unclear to me that as a team they will be significantly stronger. They probably end up moving Bontempelli back forward where he is good at general forward play until he has to take a set shot. Then they replace Bontempelli's classy disposal through the midfield with Treloar's. Guys like Dunkley will play less time through the midfield and more up forward as well.
What salary cap problems? This is news to me...
Treloars contract with us is manageable due to the pies chipping in. All our big stars are signed up for the next few years so I think its overplayed a bit

You need to pay overs for a contracted player a club wants to keep.

To target a player then refuse to pay the overs needed to get him is a poor look & wasting everyone's time.

To target a player then refuse to pay the overs needed to get him is a
Atleast you paid the overs 12 months later, I guess.

Jk.

You definitely have to get the job done once it's public. My only satisfaction with Fantasia. Now he owes us.

All incorrect. Not bitter at all

Salary cap problems, we just had Tom Boyd's huge contract come off books last year, Trengove is coming off a 500k contract too, I think we'll be ok possible Suckling too who was on decent coin.

This year we had guys like Lipinski, RSmith, Jong and Hayes run through midfield it just means fringe midfielders like this get no time which is good, if Essendon want to have a go at the likes of them go for your life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back