Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

797663.jpg
797682.jpg
797661.jpg
797660.jpg

797664.jpg

797662.jpg

Really fascinating that they only spoke once through the entire year, and even that was from all accounts mid year.

Almost sounds to me as though the club changed its mind in the last few days to go with Will. Everything we’d heard was that we’d spoken with Elijah a number of times recently so makes the whole selection even more intriguing. I wonder what happened.

Dimensional in terms of team structure. He looks like a fantastic inside midfielder - best in the draft. Little evidence to suggest he can have a similar impact anywhere else on the field.
So having potentially the best clearance (there's one 'dimension'), two-way running (that's another 'dimension' btw) inside mid in the comp aint good for team structure?..

Really fascinating that they only spoke once through the entire year, and even that was from all accounts mid year.

Almost sounds to me as though the club changed its mind in the last few days to go with Will. Everything we’d heard was that we’d spoken with Elijah a number of times recently so makes the whole selection even more intriguing. I wonder what happened.

I’m thinking this could be the case. I wouldn’t be shocked if it was an over rule type situation with Noble saying he’s the man I want. He would have worked with Matt Randell at Adelaide I assume?

Maybe a sneaky phone call and after that he told finnigan and Clayton what’s what.

Or the club was sold from the beginning on Will, and was doing interviews with others to make it look like he was our target, or just to cover all bases.

Dimensional in terms of team structure. He looks like a fantastic inside midfielder - best in the draft. Little evidence to suggest he can have a similar impact anywhere else on the field.

Over the past 20 years, we have drafted at least a gazillion flankers in the first and second rounds with the delusional hope that they might develop into gun mids. This year, we took the gun mid instead of the flanker.

Or the club was sold from the beginning on Will, and was doing interviews with others to make it look like he was our target, or just to cover all bases.

The acurate one mentioned pre draft that he was the one we wanted. Potentially he came across that well we didn't feel the need to re-interview and it was up to others to go past him? Maybe we were sold early and it was all smokescreen?

Yeh they are paid to do their job, We'd want them to be as thorough as possible.
I'm happy that after all the interviews and still decide to go with Phillips.

I originally didn't think Phillips would slot in but I always thought he was the safest option in the draft, going to have the best and was underrated in general. The more I think about how Phillips slots in, the more I feel confident since he'll be almost fully developed when Cunners is on the out and his two way running won't let teams move the ball easily which seemed to be a problem with us in 2020

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m thinking this could be the case. I wouldn’t be shocked if it was an over rule type situation with Noble saying he’s the man I want. He would have worked with Matt Randell at Adelaide I assume?

Maybe a sneaky phone call and after that he told finnigan and Clayton what’s what.
I think they've gone for Will because he looks to be a likely dependable type to grow with Simpkin and LDU. Also, Tarryn is pegged as the flamboyant half forward/mid type for us and Hollands potentially a similar type to Tarryn...
We are building a special midfield!

Cannot wait to see Phillips releasing a fit LDU into space and guess what, we've already got the master of the release handball in Cunners to even better Will's skills!

Hose me down!

Some of those one-two handball highlights were bloody impressive. Not cheapies, he gives it off and then improves his position to receive again and go forward, usually picking the best option again.

With Willips out there chucking 30 metre handballs to Ben and Jy it's going to look like like a f*ckin' Harlem Globetrotters game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back