Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

It's always a possibility but you don't often see players get crunched anymore. Team defense and zones are protective enough that you're not going to be dropping into the hole in front of, say, Tony Lockett on a 20m lead.
Was it Peter Caven that almost got killed?

What about a backline that looks like this in a couple of years..

B: Hardwick - DGB - Scrimshaw
HB: Day - Sicily - Impey
+ Frost

It has the very real possibility of being a well-rounded defensive group of ball users, speed, aggression and spoiling/marking.
And Greaves as an option too. Day and Impey with ability to move further afield; and Sicily/DGB (hopefully) with ability to swing forward. It is a strong, young defensive group. Now for the midfield and forward line in next years draft!

I am really bullish with this result. Will play 200+. I am quite relieved the Hawks chose him over Hollands too. I don't think Hollands will be as good as others think he will.

It's also good to draft a real quality young KPD instead of trading for one for once.

Permanent fixtures in the backline moving forward for the next few years:

Hardwick - Frost - Greaves
Sicily - DGB - Scrimshaw

With Impey, Day, Downie and Jiath (development pending) as potential options to rotate through too.
Looks really solid actually.

Also an under-rated piece of work getting Hartigan to fill in some short term depth to help while the younger players develop.

An uncanny likeness to Fischer McAsey of the Crows. They were both selected at pick 6 in their respective drafts, and were both considered the best key-position defender at the time.

McAsey is slightly taller and weighs more... 1.97cm and 91kg, and played 10 games in his first year for Adelaide.
I remember a few BF posters here were big fans of McAsey, so I'd imagine they'd be rapt with DBG.

I think though, DGB had more wraps on him and at the same time prior to their drafts, comparing them, most recruiters would think DGB is a better prospect.

I was hoping we'd get W.Phillips as I loved him for a couple of years now, but I'm now very pleased and excited with DGB.

If McAsey played senior footy in his first year, I can't see why DGB can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We couldn't get him one of our sh*t new guernseys with the logo?
No, the guys on the left and right are wearing the shit jerseys. That's enough.

He was interviewed on the news over here last week.
Said he had a couple of phone calls with Clarko & picked Clarko’s brain about anything he could as he just wants to learn as much as he can about the game

I liked Holland’s for his confidence but after that interview I said to my 3boys, that I hope we get him.
Happy days
Yeah I put a link in this thread for that interview. He came across very well indeed. You can see Clarko loving him. Hates losing

He acknowledged he needs to put on more weight to be able compete with afl key forwards , certainly will do it because he is a hard worker and wants to get the best out of himself. Him scrimshaw and Sicily jeez we are marking everything down there. Could send DGB or Sicily up fwd if we need a spark in a game.

Even if he needs a bit of bulking up to take the 1 forward he can definitely play as the interceptor. Frost, Hartigan and Hartley to take care of the monsters for now.

But remember that we have played a young Burton on Taylor walker with great success and Sicily regularly towels up Mason Cox and Daniher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back