Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

With respect, he is not much like Fisher McAsey at all apart from the fact that they were both selected at pick 6. DGB is way faster and more agile than McAsey who is as slow as treacle. DGB is like a cat the way he reads the play and uses his agility to get to the right position to intercept the ball or spoil whereas McAsey is a more one dimensional tall. DGB more versatile and has the ability to play small too

Personally I think McAsey at 6 was one of the worst reaches in recent memory as far as drafts go. Watched a fair bit of the U18 stuff that year and there was a lot of hype for what I didn't feel was a great package - didn't have a lot of KPF competition to challenge him directly and an average athlete in both speed and endurance.

I’ve also seen people making the argument that you shouldn’t take KPD with high picks but what I will say in rebuttal is that almost every premiership team in the last 10 years has had a superstar talented KPD (Grimes, McGovern, Rance, Lake, Scarlett etc.) and DGB could absolutely become that for us.
Definitely. I don't think people appreciate enough how important the backline has become in modern football. It used to be a case of as long as you had a strong midfield and forwardline you were set. Backline just had to be good enough to make the opposition forwards earn it when it did get in there.

The backline is arguably the most important part of the ground now. And if it's not across the league then it certainly is at Hawthorn. So many of our scoring chains are started there and so many of our opponents' potential ones are cut off there - hopefully many more with him sitting under the ball.

John Denver.

Nah, Clarko called him 'Shaggy' haha...

131146837_10157511365075925_7217032609301725792_o.jpg

Denver game style is different, he loves flying for those intercept marks. Andrews loves a spoil and is more of a shut down defender. DGB is better aerially as he has great confidence he’ll take the mark 9 times out of 10, Andrews Is spoil first. Andrews is a great player, DGB can be better.
Andrews is pretty bloody good, bit early to be putting that pressure on him we've not even had a glowing training report yet

Does anyone else feel we might of got 1 up here on Sydney?
Like with Allir leaving & Rampe ageing, thought DGB was exactly the player they needed more than Logan.
Could be the last year for Buddy 2021 & he will still need mentoring & not be the go to forward for them at such a young age.
Just thought Denver was a more pressing need. Anyways rapt to have the best KPD from this draft with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else feel we might of got 1 up here on Sydney?
Like with Allir leaving & Rampe ageing, thought DGB was exactly the player they needed more than Logan.
Could be the last year for Buddy 2021 & he will still need mentoring & not be the go to forward for them at such a young age.
Just thought Denver was a more pressing need. Anyways rapt to have the best KPD from this draft with us.
They just never rated DGB as highly.

Got my first good look at the Lions' Harris Andrews during this year's finals series and thought he was freaking amazing. Any comparisons to be made between Andrews and Denver?

Basing this purely on highlights and analysis from draft watchers and "experts."

Andrews is more of a shut down defender, whereas DGB seems to be more attacking/daring in his style of play.

IMO DGB looks like he will be an aggressive CHB that backs himself in to intercept and play off his man. Pretty much launching our forward moves from the halfback line.

IMO Andrews is slightly overrated, Hawkins gave him a bath in both games they played this year, hartigan shut him down, Andrews couldn’t. I agree he is great but DGB has the tools to be better due to his elite marking and reading of the ball, hopefully if he develops his 1 on 1 lockdown game then we will have lake V2
Hartigan you say
1607664792746.png

Is Dylan grimes with intercept marking a good comparison? Seems to be defensively very sound and flexible and a great mark but not a huge offensive threat?

I said Andrews got destroyed by Hawkins, Hartigan beat him. Wasn’t comparing Hartigan to DGB.
I'm saying we've got someone to wrestle with Hawkins already so DGB will be playing a different role next season.

Besides do you think Andrews or Hartigan is the better players outside of one or two games against Hawkins this year?

Basing this purely on highlights and analysis from draft watchers and "experts."

Andrews is more of a shut down defender, whereas DGB seems to be more attacking/daring in his style of play.

IMO DGB looks like he will be an aggressive CHB that backs himself in to intercept and play off his man. Pretty much launching our forward moves from the halfback line.
Totally agree but...AFL is so defensively minded so I'm sure Andrew's is playing team first footy, just like Denver will be for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back