Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

My only concern for him being so light is that he may get crunched by a big forward when he flies for a mark with reckless abandon. I have no doubt about him being good enough to play straight away though.

Reckon we can trust the club on this one. It will be like when bud and rough came in - early exposure but not thrown to the wolves (we hopefully learned from shoe and Ross Lyons buddy)

Permanent fixtures in the backline moving forward for the next few years:

Hardwick - Frost - Greaves
Sicily - DGB - Scrimshaw

With Impey, Day, Downie and Jiath (development pending) as potential options to rotate through too.
I'm not sure he will be a permanent CHB.

If he can stick big marks then there's a spot for him up forward.

Needs to put on some weight to compete with the big boys.

But then again he could be a Dustin Fletcher type that looks light on, but is deceptively strong.
He looks to have a solid body type and good frame that will develop quickly and nicely. Looks strong, so happy with this selection. May good health be with him throughout his career.

Thanks for posting the SEN interview. A couple of things struck me:

- The current world throws up a lot of challenges and pressures for young people and he strikes me as well-balanced, self aware and grounded. Can't teach those things and a great foundation.

- He presents as an individual who others will listen to and respect, not unlike Will Day. Not only are we selecting talent we are selecting leadership.

An uncanny likeness to Fischer McAsey of the Crows. They were both selected at pick 6 in their respective drafts, and were both considered the best key-position defender at the time.

McAsey is slightly taller and weighs more... 1.97cm and 91kg, and played 10 games in his first year for Adelaide.
I remember a few BF posters here were big fans of McAsey, so I'd imagine they'd be rapt with DBG.

I think though, DGB had more wraps on him and at the same time prior to their drafts, comparing them, most recruiters would think DGB is a better prospect.

I was hoping we'd get W.Phillips as I loved him for a couple of years now, but I'm now very pleased and excited with DGB.

If McAsey played senior footy in his first year, I can't see why DGB can't.

With respect, he is not much like Fisher McAsey at all apart from the fact that they were both selected at pick 6. DGB is way faster and more agile than McAsey who is as slow as treacle. DGB is like a cat the way he reads the play and uses his agility to get to the right position to intercept the ball or spoil whereas McAsey is a more one dimensional tall. DGB more versatile and has the ability to play small too

Have missed Brian Lake. Hoping this guy gets to a similar place.

Love this guys obsession with reading the high ball. I honestly reckon we have a star 200+ gamer here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

his interviews make me think his personality is a bit like a hybrid of roughy (more outgoing) and Isaac (less uh... flamboyant?)

willing to learn and teach, easygoing, great motivator and will no doubt be liked in the playing group by pretty much everyone

what I like is how well spoken he is. I mean it doesn't really matter if afl players aren't articulate but he seems switched on which is somewhat unusual for a young afl player facing media

Still pinching myself that we landed this kid - was convinced that $wans would take him. I would have personally picked him before Mcdonald every day of the week and twice on Sunday's. We have the type of defender we have desperately craved since Croad played CHB and Lake during our threepaet. Like Croad looks to be a genuine swingman as well - Clarko's favourite type of player. If Kosi does come on as we all hope our backline is set for the next 10-12 years

I think the discussion around whether he is big enough to play at CHB is redundant in today's footy, particularly at Hawthorn. So much of our defence is system based with defenders rolling onto various forwards as the zone shifts. Having said that he clearly isn't ready to play on the Dixon or Lynch type forwards but I see no reason why he can't in the not too distant future. He has pace, he's certainly powerful. He's going to be a ripper.

Aaron Naughton is a really good player comparison imo.

Listening to him talk, having a look at his Instagram, I can't help but think there's a bit of Brendan Whitecross in the way he carries himself. Leadership, no frills, country boy who loves the simple things in life. It might be a way out there comparison, but that's the vibe I'm getting.

Seriously impressed with that interview. You get an insight into the fact that he's not easy intimidated by a situation (a lot of people would be shy being interviewed but he was totally at ease), he obviously sees himself as an AFL footballer and has been keen to absorb as much knowledge as possible from others, he's humble, has a good sense of humour and a strong family connection.

All that and he's a more confident and better conversationalist at 18 than I am at 43.

what I like is how well spoken he is. I mean it doesn't really matter if afl players aren't articulate but he seems switched on which is somewhat unusual for a young afl player facing media
Seems very natural. Some players - even seasoned AFL players - are clearly putting on a persona and relying heavily on their media training. He seems to just be himself and has a conversation the same way he would off camera. Would indicate he's quite mature, professional and based on what he's saying a high quality individual. Could see him joining the leadership group in a few years.

Absolute Blue-Chip. (Sorry, JF.)

As impressive, in every respect, as our best ever recruits.

(Who the hell is gonna match Dixon or 'Porkins' for size or strength ... another behemoth; you play 'em different, & team defence. The lad's around 6'5" in the old language, & growing; he's bound to get bigger & stronger. Still, his strengths remain, in part, agility & athleticism.)

Our CHB for a dozen years or more to come.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m really happy with this selection, I rate him highly and so did many other clubs including Port Adelaide who would have taken him at pick 1 and they have been very successful at the draft in recent years.

I think Denver will be a brilliant player for our club but you can also already see that he will be an amazing clubman. Our club has a knack of recruiting good people with humility and family values and Denver definitely seems to fit into that category too. This is why I really went off Holland’s in the end, he has too much of an ego and I don’t think he would have fit the Hawthorn culture.

I’ve also seen people making the argument that you shouldn’t take KPD with high picks but what I will say in rebuttal is that almost every premiership team in the last 10 years has had a superstar talented KPD (Grimes, McGovern, Rance, Lake, Scarlett etc.) and DGB could absolutely become that for us.

Looking forward to seeing what he will become, I actually think he could be playing the Sicily role as early as round 1 next year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back