Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Very surprised North went with Phillips. They have no dangerous height up forward at all. I never entertained that DGB would fall to us. This is a very solid pick. Even if the Hawks brain trust had a different player in mind I don't think they will ever regret the cards falling as they did. Looks every bit a 200 gamer. Good health and good luck DGB.

Obviously the best available player at any draft position would also likely have the highest perceived trade value unless we see something other clubs's don't.

I trust Graham Wright.

DGB was ranked #3 on our talent board, behind JUH and Campbell.

Following those three it was McDonald, Phillips, Cox and Perkins.

Hopefully that gives us some piece of mind knowing that we got the player we rated the highest that was actually available to us.

Very surprised North went with Phillips. They have no dangerous height up forward at all. I never entertained that DGB would fall to us. This is a very solid pick. Even if the Hawks brain trust had a different player in mind I don't think they will ever regret the cards falling as they did. Looks every bit a 200 gamer. Good health and good luck DGB.

Larkey is a good young KPF. He will be their target. But they are clearly rebuilding through the midfield.

Simpkin, Phillips, LDU, Powell and Thomas to run with Cunnington and Dumont looks good on paper.

Last edited:
Larkey is a good young KPF. He will be their target. But they are clearly rebuilding through the midfield.

Simpkin, Phillips, LDU, Powell and Thomas to run with Cunnington looks good on paper.

Phillips is a real leader, that can't be understated in the scheme of things. One of the most important things a club can have is a professional through the middle who will drag the team along with them and drive the standards.

I completely understand why they went for him over the any of the available talls, there's zero budding leadership in the middle of that list and they had to take the opportunity to pick a potential captain ready to pick up whenever Ziebell and Cunnington retire.

Simpkin, Phillips, LDU, Powell and Thomas to run with Cunnington looks good on paper.
Larkey is handy and developing nicely. He is still young (22). He will have virtually no support. My issue is they will probably finish last next year and be almost bound to take Horne, another mid.

Larkey is handy and developing nicely. He is still young (22). He will have virtually no support. My issue is they will probably finish last next year and be almost bound to take Horne, another mid.

Yeah they will be bottom 4 again. I guess you can never have enough gun midfielders though.

Speaks really well for a new player. So often it's just "umm" every second word, or arguably worse when they've overshot the media training and it's just a stream of cliches.

He just speaks naturally like a regular person. But he's also saying all the right things too. Confident but not cocky. And genuinely respectful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to put on some weight to compete with the big boys.

But then again he could be a Dustin Fletcher type that looks light on, but is deceptively strong.

But then again he could be a Dustin Fletcher type that looks light on, but is deceptively strong.
Day.

100% - we seem to never learn. If they're good enough to be taken that early in the draft, they should be good enough to play. Spending a full year in the gym is for project picks not rolls royces.

100% - we seem to never learn. If they're good enough to be taken that early in the draft, they should be good enough to play. Spending a full year in the gym is for project picks not rolls royces.

Exactly. And this is how most key position players start out, tall and fairly light. He might not have the kgs to play on the big boys yet, but i reckon he has enough weight, smarts and talent to fill that Sicily role. Hartigan pickup fills DGBs growth timeline almost perfectly.

My only concern for him being so light is that he may get crunched by a big forward when he flies for a mark with reckless abandon. I have no doubt about him being good enough to play straight away though.

DGB will just play on third talls and medium players until he is ready to take on a KPD role. He played on Hollands last year no problem.

Nah he defs needs some weight, if he stays at 78kg his whole career he’ll be bullied like shoey was 1 on 1. 85-90kg would be good in a few years, obvs still a kid so it’ll take a few years.

My only concern for him being so light is that he may get crunched by a big forward when he flies for a mark with reckless abandon. I have no doubt about him being good enough to play straight away though.

It's always a possibility but you don't often see players get crunched anymore. Team defense and zones are protective enough that you're not going to be dropping into the hole in front of, say, Tony Lockett on a 20m lead.

Already got Fletcher covered for size, looks pretty well developed for his age to be honest. Definitely has a frame that can add on some size.

P.s totally love the Shaggy nick name!

Goes hard at the footy and can take a grab! Welcome to the club 'Shaggy'! Pumped to see what he can do as that Sicily type third tall next year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back