Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like I'm so out of the loop this pre-season... have we announced our leadership group? I'd love for it to be Pendles captain, Adams vice and then the likes of Grundy/Moore to be the others. Sidebottom demoted.

With Adams out it isn't really too big of a surprise that Grundy took the reigns.
Adams would have been in the country team anyway. So Grundy is the nominated city bird.

Is 25 young?
Is 50 old?

I know people who are 50 and act like they are 90.

I also know some who are 20 and are fully mature adults.

People mature at different rates, determined by their genetic inheritance and the circumstances of their life experience.

I personally didn't start to grow up until I was 25 - from 17 - 25 I was a pure tearaway.

Time will tell.

Is 50 old?

People mature at different rates, determined by their genetic inheritance and the circumstances of their life experience.

I personally didn't start to grow up until I was 25 - from 17 - 25 I was a pure tearaway.

Time will tell.

Some never Mature sadly

Is 50 old?

Time will tell.

Clubs will not put up with a tear away from 17 to 25 on hope someone becomes a good player. Just not worth the time and effort for the club given likelihood of success. It’s a professional sport, not amateur league.

Is 25 young?

In footy terms no. For context that has him as a 2013 draftee of which we currently have 0 from our initial selections on the list and none would be considered “young” if they were anyway. Have we settled on Tohill as this year’s pre-season MVP also known as the Corey Gault cup? Or is C Brown going to make a run at it?

Hello the old number 1

Nothing to do with age. Just reality. Look at Harley Bennell. All the talent in the world. Three clubs and didn’t reach 100 games. How much did clubs waste on him.

Happy for kids to stuff up, but if they haven’t matured by early 20s then there is always another kid who is talented but has the right attitude. They are a better bet and clubs will go that way. Just ask Harley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh sorry. De Goey kicked 1. From the midfield, which seemed to be his predominant position.

Tyler on the wing, De Goey midfield. I think Daicos played forward plus inside.

Tyler definitely more Wing, at this point. Will go inside mid as he gets older. Has filled out. Got a lot of the ball.

Liking JDG predominantly in the midfield. Hopefully this season it remains that way, with probably a 70/30 split between playing midfield and forward 50.
Hopefully we keep Elliott forward, and a McCreery or Henry or both, can come in and play a F50 role for us, along with Daicos as a floating forward, we can keep DeGoey as a midfielder.
Good to hear Tyler Brown coming along well. Hopefully we see him have a Daicos- type defining season, that sees him become a regular in the senior side.

Clubs will not put up with a tear away from 17 to 25 on hope someone becomes a good player. Just not worth the time and effort for the club given likelihood of success. It’s a professional sport, not amateur league.
What part of my post indicated I thought any of our players was a tearaway???

I included my personal experience to illustrate the point that different people mature at different rates.

In footy terms no. For context that has him as a 2013 draftee of which we currently have 0 from our initial selections on the list and none would be considered “young” if they were anyway. Have we settled on Tohill as this year’s pre-season MVP also known as the Corey Gault cup? Or is C Brown going to make a run at it?
I'll have you know Corey Gault tears up the WAFL these days! ;)

This is an open question - how can we make it easier to find the training reports on this thread?

The actual training reports from those who post them are fantastic, and really valued by all. But sometimes they are hard to find, as there is always a lot of comments and discussion following them (and a lot of the discussion is off on tangents and not always all that interesting). What tends to need to happen is in the hours / days after a potential training session, if someone wants to find the write up they need to trawl through countless pages to figure out whether there was an update or not. Is there a more efficient way?

What about a thread locked to the general public but open to those like Jen who post reports, and there is nothing but the training reports themselves that get posted in them? That makes it super easy to see when a new report goes up and find it.

Thoughts? Ideas?

This is an open question - how can we make it easier to find the training reports on this thread?

The actual training reports from those who post them are fantastic, and really valued by all. But sometimes they are hard to find, as there is always a lot of comments and discussion following them (and a lot of the discussion is off on tangents and not always all that interesting). What tends to need to happen is in the hours / days after a potential training session, if someone wants to find the write up they need to trawl through countless pages to figure out whether there was an update or not. Is there a more efficient way?

What about a thread locked to the general public but open to those like Jen who post reports, and there is nothing but the training reports themselves that get posted in them? That makes it super easy to see when a new report goes up and find it.

Thoughts? Ideas?
It is a problem, but a locked thread would preclude the questions that often bring things to light that the reporter didn't think to include. The answer is better keyboard discipline from the readers who want to say something that doesn't pertain to training. If they would only keep to the threads that devote themselves to player bagging or attempts at humour and leave this one for people who are only interested in gleaning a few facts about what are players are about we would all be happy.
Keeping one thread free of axe grinding doesn't seem a lot to ask.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Or how about mods going through the thread and removing posts which don't directly relate to training or replies discussing issues directly arising from it. There is some value, for instance, in discussing a player's ability to play a particular role or position or suggesting that pre season form may be misleading. But discussions centred on peripheral issues detract from the reports. I actually don't have difficulty finding the reports - the posters names and the length and format of their posts are generally a give away.

Thoughts? Ideas?
A new thread every training session

It is a problem, but a locked thread would preclude the questions that often bring things to light that the reporter didn't think to include. The answer is better keyboard discipline from the readers who want to say something that doesn't pertain to training. If they would only keep to the threads that devote themselves to player bagging or attempts at humour and leave this one for people who are only interested in gleaning a few facts about what are players are about we would all be happy.
Keeping one thread free of axe grinding doesn't seem a lot to ask.

So you use this thread to grind your axe about people who use this thread to grind their axe. 😜

Thoughts? Ideas?

Make a Thread where just the Training Reports are Added and Nothing Else

Agree with the idea of a city v country, but I think anyone that thinks any game, at this time of the year, is shits and giggles will be quickly shown the door.
I can't think of any other recent year where we have only 2/3 players in rehab, and all should be back within weeks. Lets pray that continues.
Also good to hear that Tohill is finally understanding the game and contributing, very good size, build & speed, if he keeps improving could play multiple positions.
From reading all these reports the players I am most curious about is tohill and bianco...then Wilson.

I gave tohill no hope ...very interesting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back