Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Josh Treacy

Remove this Banner Ad

We'd have some hope I guess if Teacy dominated these pre-season games such that a debut was inevitable. But he didn't. It's purely our lack of talls that pointed to him possibly debuting. Maybe as part of the propaganda war we could have come out after that game (and before the investigation) with a statement that Treacy was in line to debut. Might have helped our case.

How could they say no. For What possible reason would they say no. fu** you wafl.

On the basis that they have done it before. IIRC, one of the Weags probably 10+ years ago was in a similar position but due to a bye in the WAFL had to sit out longer. The Weags appealed it and were denied.

On the basis that they have done it before. IIRC, one of the Weags probably 10+ years ago was in a similar position but due to a bye in the WAFL had to sit out longer. The Weags appealed it and were denied.
I think whoever WC lurker was (don't care) had been playing WAFL anyways up to that point, so it was a bit more of a case that being suspect. Mid-season bye is a bit different from a start of the season lag too. So using that precedent is able to be strongly argued against logically.

I wonder if it was a player likely to play in the AFL side? I think a case by case approach is necessary based on the reasonable likelihood that player will be in the AFL side. Otherwise it could be used to reduce a players WAFL suspension when they had no realistic prospect of playing AFL during a WAFL bye.

In the end this was a suspension Treacy could have avoided. I’m sure it will hurt and hopefully he learns from it. His possible inclusion is the result of injury rather than form, but I don’t think it will take long for him to be in the team on merit.

Spot on. All this talk of Treacy and thuggery ... get a grip. I hope he keeps on trying to crunch people (fairly). Have not seen anything malicious in any of his highlights. Just good strong tackles and bumps. This one went a bit astray and is a lesson, but I hope he sticks with what has got him this far. Comparing him to Barry Hall is ridiculous. I look at someone like Charlie Dixon. Nothing wrong with how he plays, and lifts his teammates.
100%. Gekkos post is a bit rich and taking the piss imo

On AOSP on Manta using BigFooty.com mobile app

100%. Gekkos post is a bit rich and taking the piss imo

On AOSP on Manta using BigFooty.com mobile app
No, not taking the piss at all... I can appreciate why you'd think that though.

I concede I may be missing the mark hugely with Josh... I just think he let himself down horribly. Besides, I'm still a closet fan of Brady Grey and didn't like that he got hurt - it set me off a bit. Just a regrettable incident all round really.

Last edited:
Needs to be a compromise in that he misses the first 2 AFL games, but is then available for selection at AFL from then on. But he also is suspended for the first 2 WAFL games, so if not selected at AFL, he sits out.
Would be a good prospect as the sub then if not selected in his own right for rounds 3&4.
Or free to play in the AFL until his WAFL suspension kicks in at which point he's banned from all comps for two weeks.

That would be the logical way to structure it imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine being issued a $500 fine. You go to the bank to sort out payment, but they're closed because it's Saturday and you have to wait until Monday. Then they hit you with a $500 late fee because you couldn't pay it on the weekend.

We'd have some hope I guess if Teacy dominated these pre-season games such that a debut was inevitable. But he didn't. It's purely our lack of talls that pointed to him possibly debuting. Maybe as part of the propaganda war we could have come out after that game (and before the investigation) with a statement that Treacy was in line to debut. Might have helped our case.
I thought he had two great showings in preseason. Runs straight at the ball when marking, chases hard for a big man and was pretty clean below his knees. Versatile enough to show he can take ruck contests in the forward 50. He's literally what we've been crying out for, for 10 years.

Pretty sure it happened to Michael Walters in 2011. Got suspendend in a WAFL game and I think there was a bye and a state game, and it ended up costing him a month and then he got injured in his return WAFL game.

Last edited:
If cyclone can replicate his performance in the WAFL today alongside Lobb and Tabs our fowardline will be deadly.

Question for the contracting experts on here.
Josh is on a one year rookie contract. What happens if he comes out at AFL level and kicks a few bags and is clearly at the required level. We will want to tie him in longer term ASAP.
Can we extend his contract now? Add him to the main list? Could he theoretically walk for free to another club at the end of the season? Because he’s a rookie?

Question for the contracting experts on here.
Josh is on a one year rookie contract. What happens if he comes out at AFL level and kicks a few bags and is clearly at the required level. We will want to tie him in longer term ASAP.
Can we extend his contract now? Add him to the main list? Could he theoretically walk for free to another club at the end of the season? Because he’s a rookie?
Well, nobody can force you to sign a contract, and I don't think you can trade rookies. Yikes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back