Preview Round 4, 2021: Fremantle v Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ceglar has one bad game and people calling for the noose, Fremantle are playing two genuine ruckmen we need Ceglar and McEvoy more than ever, plus we can kill them with height. Howe out for cousins but other than that no change unless we want to rest Silk, then we should bring in Downie or Hanners.

actually a good point, if there was any game to play 2 rucks this would be it

OUT
Ceglar didn't make a case for himself. Looks like he never left 2020 poor form behind him.
Howe tried hard, but brain fades like that aren't what you need from a player. Did some tough stuff, but has the brains of a ruckman and should be instructed to do only limited things.

IN (tough)
Downie (for Howe) - Surely he's needed to add some more run

One of (for Ceglar)
Nash (only played a half in the Box Hill game.... fitness?)
or maybe
TOB (brings ball to ground and can ruck)

Worpel should be dropped if we are playing him as a half forward flanker, rather Hanrahan, different story if he was a midfielder, but too many of same type in there

Is Worpel still trying to adapt to a new position. Too important to drop. I thought he looked switched on, when near the ball, though far from a world beater.

Anyone got word on what happened to Hartigan's arm at the start of the 4th?

Judging by the way he ran off, I'm suggesting he's an OUT for next week
I thought he grabbed his wrist. Nothing said on TV though, but don't worry, we all knew there was a ******* pigeon on the ground for half the game.

I'm not worried about his 1 bad game - I'm waiting for his string of good games. :shrug:

If we were dominating the middle or he was contributing up forward etc. then maybe it'd be different...

But 2x Ruckmen isn't working & we're unlikely to drop the Captain. This is a team balance thing - not an anit-Ceglar thing.
You want to go McEvoy vs Meek and Darcy?

You want to go McEvoy vs Meek and Darcy?
I was thinking maybe TO'B + Lewis would assist, but yeah - if you like.

On the flip side, do you want to continue with 2x young KPF that are trying to learn what to do, without a 3rd option that'll drag some heat off them & allow them to work into the game?

Check the last 2x weeks: did Cegs offer more as a 2nd Ruckman or would we have been better off spreading established zone defences with a triple-threat forwardline, whilst also offering more flexibility & better defence out of the F50m?

Early thought based on opposition and form.

Out: Kosi, Howe
In: Nash, O'Brien

Freo are stretched in defence with injuries.
Nash has seemingly earnt his spot with strong reserve form. He's an extra tall in our forward line and a dynamic one at that.
Danger game for our finals hopes and we need a bit more experience so TOB replaces Kosi who has had 3 games of experience but won't be harmed long term by a rest. He looked overawed today.

Howe was great last week but made too many basic blunders today. Moore, Wingard, Punky and Burgs can cover adequately enough as extra mids that we don't desperately need Howes presence.

Cousins into the squad as medical sub for extra outside run if required.

He was well beaten by Myers who kicked a goal and generally looked very busy. I would consider making him the medical sub.

I can't see how Howe could keep his spot. He is courageous and tough but so slow of mind and his skills let him down badly today.

If he is being rested let him stay home and prep for Melbourne.

Maybe Howe goes medical sub. Downie in for Burgoyne. I dont know what we do with TOB though.

Kosi and Lewis are our future and need more time working together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early thought based on opposition and form.

Out: Kosi, Howe
In: Nash, O'Brien

Freo are stretched in defence with injuries.
Nash has seemingly earnt his spot with strong reserve form. He's an extra tall in our forward line and a dynamic one at that.
Danger game for our finals hopes and we need a bit more experience so TOB replaces Kosi who has had 3 games of experience but won't be harmed long term by a rest. He looked overawed today.

Howe was great last week but made too many basic blunders today. Moore, Wingard, Punky and Burgs can cover adequately enough as extra mids that we don't desperately need Howes presence.

Cousins into the squad as medical sub for extra outside run if required.
Yikes - call me crazy but Nash and O’Brien as ins is really uninspiring- surely we’ve seen enough of them both to know they aren’t the answer...

IN: Downie

OUT: Ceglar (omitted)

B: Hardwick, Hartigan, Jiath

HB: Scrimshaw, Frost, Impey

C: Morrison, Mitchell, Phillips

HF: Burgoyne, Koschitzke, Wingard

F: Breust, Lewis, Brockman

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Shiels, Howe, Downie, Moore, Hanrahan (Sub)
The game has got quicker and we need to keep up. Ceglar and Howe to be replaced with leg speed. Maybe Howe keeps his spot as the sub.

in:
Downie, TOB

Out:
Howe, Burgoyne

Burgoyne to be rested to avoid traveling on a six day break.
Freo will be stretched very thin down back, but they also run with two rucks so we can't afford to drop one of ours.

Those who are asking for Cuz to come in: from all reports his disposal has been poor and somewhat selfish in the 2's, I can't see him coming in just yet.
Downie comes in because we need more help on the wings; Freo are a much more attacking team than Geelong so we need someone who is a solid two way runner.

I think we need to see a big lift from Worpel and Phillips in that midfield mix- I didn't think either have been particularly damaging just yet.

Yikes - call me crazy but Nash and O’Brien as ins is really uninspiring- surely we’ve seen enough of them both to know they aren’t the answer...

Not entirely my independent thoughts. Nash has been our best performed player in the VFL games according to Sam Mitchell. I'd have to think he gets his chance at some point.

If I was playing favourites I'd be bringing in Cousins, Greaves and Downie but I know that isn't entirely realistic.

OUTS:
- Burgoyne
- Howe
- Ceglar

Worpel is very lucky and probably should be dropped based on the season to date then Howe. However we know he had an upside that Howe does not.

INS:
- Downie (time for an actual, real, non-fake, debut)
- Cousins
- Greaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back