Review Geelong defeats North by 30 points. Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that was dismal. In further bad news, game in the Central Highlands League had to be called off today as Daylesford captain and former cats player Josh Cowan broke his leg, and the ambulance took an hour and a half to get to the ground.

The footy gods hate that bloke don't they

That's terrible news for Cowan. That wait would have been excruciating

Been on about it on here for years: skill.

Ppl knocking Danger for his kicking. How many years has he been at Geelong, and no-one has mentioned it to him?!! And its not like he is Robinson Crusoe there either.

I remember a jokey quip Bomber Thompson made when he was coaching Essendon and we smashed them, about Bartel and Enright's play "I shouldn't have trained them up so well!"

Nobody could accuse Geelong of being "trained up" atm. And no, I'm not talking about natural talent. I'm talking about skills that come with good training over the years. So don't tell me, "We don't have the cattle." Thats bs.

Well that was dismal. In further bad news, game in the Central Highlands League had to be called off today as Daylesford captain and former cats player Josh Cowan broke his leg, and the ambulance took an hour and a half to get to the ground.

Another former player Jordan Cunico did his hammy in the first minute of his first VFL game for Box Hill against Casey today too, which was also his first game since 2019.

killed a Chinese footballer in a previous life..

Dalhaus has to go back to the VFL next week, He's virtually a passenger out there! Doesn't do anything apart from hiding on the wing lay a few mistackles and useless chip kicks!
Didn’t enjoy his goal celebration at all, taking the ball in front of de Koning and no awareness to go to him afterward instead acting as if he’s kicked it to keep his own spot in the team. I don’t care that he kicked it, one of them had to, but seriously.

Hard game to learn anything from really. We dominated possession but could not get any forward movement through north’s flood. At one stage fox showed how many misses we’d made in addition to our behinds, and it was something Like 10 shots on goal that didn’t result in a score.

Stanley seems to have gotten a few touches on the stat sheet although from what I saw is very lucky that the other options are under done. Just looks so out of it.

de koning unlucky to be debuted out of position but looks to have something. Would have liked him to be pushed up to the wing to get more amongst the game in the last but not to be.

Loved close. He just adds something when you don’t expect it, and is a great kick. Leave him in.

i think Henry will be better for his few matches as a forward. Seems to have much more confidence after having gotten that little bit of extra experience. I think he will step up to the next level sooner rather than later.

Stewart is just great. What a legend.

nothing else to write home about really. Bit of a bore. But can’t be too negative winning by thirty at a stage In the season where winning by 30 is all you need to do.

Last edited:
Moving the ball quicker - as we undoubtedly did - didn't do much to improve our scoring but did make us way more vulnerable on the rebound and seemed to stop us locking it inside 50. Even then, we had 64 inside 50s - same number as Richmond on Thursday night. Cameron cannot get into this side quick enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the game plan will not stand up.
other teams will run all over us.
the team has drafted a few more running players but it will take a few years to get them up to speed.

Selwood is on the downward slide
Danger has lost his speed
No ruckman

Unless the team improves drastically we have no chance and I do not think the coaches team is capable enough.

he won't be for years. He's 6ft'8 and 85kg. He needs at least 2 more preseasons before he's ready to hold his own against men.

Similar size to Tim English, and he seems to go OK, although English is 4 years older and 10kg heavier.

OUT: Dahlhaus, Kolo
IN: Clark, Inanimate Carbon Rod

Deplorable game. Zero killer instinct. Zero footy instinct. Zero team-focussed instinct.
We had nearly 20 turnovers a quarter tonight. I don’t think Clark in reduces that, he’s as prone to as most of the side.

Been on about it on here for years: skill.

Ppl knocking Danger for his kicking. How many years has he been at Geelong, and no-one has mentioned it to him?!! And its not like he is Robinson Crusoe there either.

I remember a jokey quip Bomber Thompson made when he was coaching Essendon and we smashed them, about Bartel and Enright's play "I shouldn't have trained them up so well!"

Nobody could accuse Geelong of being "trained up" atm. And no, I'm not talking about natural talent. I'm talking about skills that come with good training over the years. So don't tell me, "We don't have the cattle." Thats bs.

There's way too much cruising on 'natural talent' in this team and not enough work on working for each other, honing skills etc etc it kills me.

Every other premiership team of the last 5 years will tell you the biggest thing was that they played for each other. Not Geelong though, it's all individual glory.

We had nearly 20 turnovers a quarter tonight. I don’t think Clark in reduces that, he’s as prone to as most of the side.

It's not about turnovers, it's about drawing a line in the sand for old useless campaigners who coast on past...."glories", if you can call Dahlhaus's efforts 'glories'....and making a move toward the future.

The field skills really let us down today. Such poor kicking and handball. The delivery into the F50 was atrocious, choosing to kick to contests long rather than lowering the eyes and picking out a man 30-40m from goal. I really didn't enjoy this win, because the lads played pretty poorly at times. A couple of exceptions in Stewart, Parfitt, Menegola, Duncan, Blicavs, Tuohy, and Henderson. Seeing Paddy back in the side highlighted his selfishness as a player sometimes. He has work to do. We'll take the 4 points, but the WCE would be watching this game thinking they might just get the kill next week, and I couldn't disagree at this point.

Last edited:
Probably need to pump the breaks on his return. People think he is going to be difference maker. This team has a lot more problems at the moment.
The rucks are putrid and that doesn't change this year.
We have only one decent kick down back in Stewart.
People talk about our inclusions to come back in, Higgins + Danger, well they already played in round one and we looked no better off with them in the team.

We only have one good kick down back because we persist with Kolodjashnij et al

Probably need to pump the breaks on his return. People think he is going to be difference maker. This team has a lot more problems at the moment.
The rucks are putrid and that doesn't change this year.
We have only one decent kick down back in Stewart.
People talk about our inclusions to come back in, Higgins + Danger, well they already played in round one and we looked no better off with them in the team.
The team has plenty of problems but by far the biggest the last two weeks is an inability to do anything with the ball once it is inside 50. I don't think I'm going out on a limb in saying Jeremy Cameron will help a great deal with that.

The team has plenty of problems but by far the biggest the last two weeks is an inability to do anything with the ball once it is inside 50. I don't think I'm going out on a limb in saying Jeremy Cameron will help a great deal with that.
Need to manufacture some semblance of a small forward. North just waltzed it out. Melbourne did the same. Jiath and Impey the week before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back