Review Geelong defeats North by 30 points. Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm assuming the mentality is that you can't have that much money sitting in the VFL.

That would be infuriating if that was the thinking behind his continued selection.

Holmes in, Dahlhaus out, Miers to play closer to goal despite his endurance - just because he can run all over the ground doesn't mean that's where he's best for us.

It was very obvious that De Koning will be a gun player - he moves well, kicks the ball nicely, takes a mark and will end up taking plenty before he's finished. He was after all AA full back in the U-18s.

Holmes was great in the VFL; he will be a very good player for us. He should replace Dalhouse next week. Jarvis and Stevens were good too.

Rohan was appalling - can't get the pill, drops marks etc etc. He needs a spell in the VFL to think about things.
De Koning kicked terribly today.. Or are you talking in general?

Ziebell with 38 touches, 33 kicks and 946 metres gained playing off half-back. Our 'defensive' forwards are literally useless when you're getting torched this badly.

..somewhat inflated by the 17 kick outs.

Defensive forwards cant impact on those.

Why tf is Smith being played on the right-hand wing?

Does Scott WANT to see him kick with his right?

I could count on one hand the amount of left foot kicks Smith had at Hawthorn, he's doing it multiple times each game for us.

Obviously an intelligent coach like Clarkson had their game set up to use the strengths of his playing list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be infuriating if that was the thinking behind his continued selection.
I can't imagine any other reason. We've heard in the past how the club is conscious of keeping senior players in the team so as not to cause them financial disruption, and I could imagine they have a similar mindset regarding what they're getting out of players vs what they're paid (you can't have a lot of money resting in the VFL).

We never drop senior players, ever. It's always young players not getting paid much. A choice between an old player and a young, and we're always picking the former and dropping the latter, even if form lines are similar.

While we played poorly we smashed them everywhere except i50 conversion. We cant afford to convert that poorly next week.

Our ruck situation is the big issue.

Geelong Win
4 Points......... 3-2 with a tough month ahead....

Won't take a lot from this other than a lot of work to do. 52, 59 ,128 ,41(Norths previous loss margins) This doesn't mean a lot only kicking 77 points on home deck is well...............

Took a few notes during the game simple footskill errors & legspeed are a genuine issue. The back half consists of Blicavs, Henry, Atkins, Bews, Kolo the latter had a terrible game. It's difficult to generate any quick counterattack when these guys have the ball. They try hard defend well but with the rule changes I think perhaps Tuohy should go back behind the ball to add some run and creativity. Jordan Clark I believe is a much better option for this particular 22 in the long run this season.

The reliance on Stewart to create basically everything from the back half just is not sustainable long term. He was Geelongs best for mine!

Parfitt tried hard through the middle his best game for a while. Dangerfield is the quickest at (31) and by foot can be erratic. Selwood, Guthrie, Parfitt, Menegola, Duncan, Smith add perhaps Higgins.

My concern is on paper everything looks fine but a lot of miles on those legs I'm not sure if this midfield group can still run both ways consistently enough to become the threat we hope.

The emphasis on speeding up the ball movement today was killed by simple errors and the inability to create any overlap run.

Massive 4 weeks coming up 3 finalists from last season plus in form Sydney. All winnable or loseable games.

Did the job today and realistically it meant nothing but the supporters realise what our formline says we need to improve drastically to be competitive Selwood, Danger, Hawkins can't just carry us to wins anymore collective team effort to improve !

Jenkins is not great but will kick 2 goals. Hawkins struggles to do that so he is not that bad.

While Hawk leads to 50-55m out in the pocket at least you know Jenkins is in the goal square.

I'm not sure how to read this cause it seems that you are saying Jenkins is a better option than Hawkins. I mean seriously what the * has this board become when we have people making arguments about how Jenkins is superior to hawkins. Give yourself the year off sir

I genuinely enjoy reading how much this club sucks for winning by five goals.
Against a team Gold Coast beat by 10 goals, that’s the lowest winning margin a team has had against North Melbourne so far this year.

Didn’t enjoy his goal celebration at all, taking the ball in front of de Koning and no awareness to go to him afterward instead acting as if he’s kicked it to keep his own spot in the team. I don’t care that he kicked it, one of them had to, but seriously.

Hard game to learn anything from really. We dominated possession but could not get any forward movement through north’s flood. At one stage fox showed how many misses we’d made in addition to our behinds, and it was something Like 10 shots on goal that didn’t result in a score.

Stanley seems to have gotten a few touches on the stat sheet although from what I saw is very lucky that the other options are under done. Just looks so out of it.

de koning unlucky to be debuted out of position but looks to have something. Would have liked him to be pushed up to the wing to get more amongst the game in the last but not to be.

Loved close. He just adds something when you don’t expect it, and is a great kick. Leave him in.

i think Henry will be better for his few matches as a forward. Seems to have much more confidence after having gotten that little bit of extra experience. I think he will step up to the next level sooner rather than later.

Stewart is just great. What a legend.

nothing else to write home about really. Bit of a bore. But can’t be too negative winning by thirty at a stage In the season where winning by 30 is all you need to do.

Good write up....I think Parfitt deserved more than a mention...

I've never felt so flat after a win. That was worse than the Melbourne game (was it last year?). I'm not even sure what the problem is. I mean, obviously the overarching game plan is clearly not good enough, but where does the blame lie? Surely we're not *that* sh*t?
It lies with the coaches. It’s not hard to figure out. They choose the game plan. One that does not suit our players at all given the inaccurate kicks. Plus it does not work under finals pressure.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back