Geelong should never have to play home games at opposition stadiums again

Remove this Banner Ad

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others” (Tigers, Magpies, Hawks) - Animal Farm

Yes and no.

To an extent, but if it was so heavily weighted towards the "big" clubs, how come only Richmond have had any success lately and they waited nearly 4 decades for that?

Carlton and Essendon - both in the longest premiership droughts right now.
Collingwood - only 2 premierships in the last 62 years, only 4 in nearly 70.

Can we use this argument for why we shouldn't have to play home games away from our home ground; I think the bolded part in particular rings true if we change MCG to KP and Richmond people to Geelong people

“To have the MCG — one of the world’s great sporting stadiums — empty this weekend just makes no sense. We should be playing at the MCG,” Gale told The Herald Sun.

“Playing at Marvel this weekend will minimise crowds and that goes against everything the industry wants to deliver. We want fans at games.”

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick wants all his club’s home games scheduled at the MCG.

“The truth of the matter is you can play Richmond games here (Marvel Stadium), but they don’t come,” Hardwick told reporters post-game.

“It’s a pretty simple solution for mine. If you want big crowds, play our home games at the ‘G.

“Mate, I hate coming here. I probably shouldn’t say that.

“The MCG has got soul, it’s got Richmond people there. Our people don’t come here. Plain and simple.

“I’d love them to come, but the fact of the matter is I can’t drive them all here.”

Richmond’s six remaining home games are all scheduled at the MCG.

Can we use this argument for why we shouldn't have to play home games away from our home ground; I think the bolded part in particular rings true if we change MCG to KP and Richmond people to Geelong people

So all the tuggers who got stuck into chris scott for speaking out on playing home games, are going to get stuck into hardwick for doing the same thing? 🙄

Won’t hear a peep. Hypocrites.

It's a rotation once sides drop off and aren't guaranteed huge crowds in Melbourne. Precisely why Carlton finally made the trip down a couple of years ago, and Essendon are this year. Collingwood won't be far off the way they're going.
Yes so when their crap enough that we would win easily at the mcg then they come down to geelong. When they are playing well and tough to beat we have to suffer home disadvantage at our home games. Thats not how it should work.

Yes and no.

To an extent, but if it was so heavily weighted towards the "big" clubs, how come only Richmond have had any success lately and they waited nearly 4 decades for that?

Carlton and Essendon - both in the longest premiership droughts right now.
Collingwood - only 2 premierships in the last 62 years, only 4 in nearly 70.
It's by far now the most fair its ever been.
By miles!
There used to be zones, rich benefactors and small clubs had to give big clubs their best players just to survive.
I think Footscray lost 4 Brownlow medallists in a relatively small amount of time.
The ridiculous Docklands deal has been now fixed somewhat and the timeslots are getting slightly more fair with Dwayne the Dickhead even doing some bigger clubs games.
Hopefully now is a good time for the smaller clubs to grow a bit.

How far apart are the two stadiums? Is transpo between the two that difficult?

Here's an off the wall idea, no team has MCG as a home field. Every team in Melbourne plays there an equal number of times to whatever minimum the contract with MCC requires. Since the AFL own Docklands, the remainder are played there. Supporters will follow if they are not given the choice or are serious about watching live. Geelong based supporters are given much respect, so spread some of that around the bandwagon Melbournians. Equalization and all that. :)

How far apart are the two stadiums? Is transpo between the two that difficult?

Here's an off the wall idea, no team has MCG as a home field. Every team in Melbourne plays there an equal number of times to whatever minimum the contract with MCC requires. Since the AFL own Docklands, the remainder are played there. Supporters will follow if they are not given the choice or are serious about watching live. Geelong based supporters are given much respect, so spread some of that around the bandwagon Melbournians. Equalization and all that. :)

There is a massive train station just next door to Marvel, so transport isn't an issue.

It's a rotation once sides drop off and aren't guaranteed huge crowds in Melbourne. Precisely why Carlton finally made the trip down a couple of years ago, and Essendon are this year. Collingwood won't be far off the way they're going.

sort of reverse Fri night reward. .."go bad and you get geelong"

There is a massive train station just next door to Marvel, so transport isn't an issue.

Its change. Its been demonstrated . This year with the digital tickets. Speacking of which now they have a digital membership I have to down load every home game.. which seems far too much work ..why not once and you are done.

If Richmond played at the Dome 11 games a year ..they would eventually get used to it.

I honestly do not mind it there. Id love for KP to be a Docklands copy ...build it over in the Eastern Gardens or something.

Not to be we are stuck with what we have built for the next 30 years or so. Probably see me out. Still just like with Marvel, the train station is close at KP , not a hard ground to get to.

Honestly some Rich cant go 4.2 Kms to go to another Melb stadium. Weak ..when Geelong had to drive 100 Km to get to VFL park in the old days

Last edited:
I honestly do mind it there. Id love for KP to be a Docklands copy ...build it over in the Eastern Gardens or something.

Not to be we are stuck with what we have built for the next 30 years or so. Probably see me out. Still just like with Marvel, the train station is close at KP , not a hard ground to get to.

Honestly some Rich cant go 4.2 Kms to go to another Melb stadium. Weak ..when Geelong had to drive 100 Km to get to VFL park in the old days

Speaking of Waverley, I remember when we had a home game against West Coast out there once in the early 90's. Don't think we complained about that.

Speaking of Waverley, I remember when we had a home game against West Coast out there once in the early 90's. Don't think we complained about that.
From 1970's on 2 home games a year. We played Rich in a final in 1980 ... which drew no comment that I can remember. No the moans would be loud and long.

I have wondered how the modern game would go with such a big ground. It would cook a few players and zone D would get opened up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From 1970's on 2 home games a year. We played Rich in a final in 1980 ... which drew no comment that I can remember. No the moans would be loud and long.
In the 70s VFL park was a neutral venue, the VFL added two rounds to fund it essentially. No one complained because everyone copped it. Same with finals, MCG was (mostly) neutral, well compared to today it most certainly is and so was VFL park, so you copped your finals because everyone got the same deal (no finals at home venues). Then consolidation came about, and clubs started moving en masse to these "neutral venues", with carlton and geelong the only hold outs. We got lucky, we got the money to redevelop our stands. Carlton had the same opportunity but like most sad stories in Carlton's history, someone on the board was compromised, and they shipped off to Docklands and the rest is history. Neutral venues also started to slip once the VFL/AFL allowed finals to (rightfully) be played interstate. So the idea of a neutral final where the VFL made all the money has now become a home final where the AFL makes all the money (hmmm, maybe that's where the problem lies).

Now we have the situation where 13 clubs (all but Geelong, Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Melbourne) get to play home games at their preferred venue for every home game in the H+A season, and 14 clubs (all but Geelong, Saints, North and dogs) get to play home finals at their preferred venue for every home final (bar the GF). See the overlap? Geelong get shafted on both.

Wow. How absolutely tone deaf can one bloke be?

Its a bit defining . under 19,000 for a Richmond game .... for years we have hear media diatribe from Richmond mouthpieces like Wilson about ... we cant play this game or that game in geelong as it locked out Richmond members. Well now its obvious if they will not travel 5 km to go to Docklands,so they would not travel to Geelong.

Last edited:
I honestly do mind it there. Id love for KP to be a Docklands copy ...build it over in the Eastern Gardens or something.

I don't understand the criticism of Docklands. I went on Friday and to our VFL game and had a great view, more intimate, unlike the top tier at the MCG. It has a roof to cut out wet weather. It is nearly on top of Southern Cross station, which is 2 stops from Jolimont station, the 70 and 75 trams are outside and run direct to Richmond, as well as the 86 and other Collins and Bourke Street trams, and it is accessible to the west via Westgate and Footscray Road, plus the Westgate tunnel when finished. The AFL community should be proud of the venue.

I don't understand the criticism of Docklands. I went on Friday and to our VFL game and had a great view, more intimate, unlike the top tier at the MCG. It has a roof to cut out wet weather. It is nearly on top of Southern Cross station, which is 2 stops from Jolimont station, the 70 and 75 trams are outside and run direct to Richmond, as well as the 86 and other Collins and Bourke Street trams, and it is accessible to the west via Westgate and Footscray Road, plus the Westgate tunnel when finished. The AFL community should be proud of the venue.
I don't mind it either. Its really convenient and sounds loud with a small crowd cause of the roof.

While I like the romance of the idea of playing all home games in Geelong, in practise it would detrimental to the club. Reality is that a substantial support base for the club see attending the footy in Melbourne as convenient and attending the footy in Geelong as inconvenient. That is why we have Vic 5 and Melbourne membership categories - to cater for that demographic. Take away the Melbourne matches and a fair chunk of those supporters will stop being members or transition to a cheaper membership. And so if we are going to play a couple of home matches a year in Melbourne, we want to maximise the attendance, which means playing against the likes of Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Essendon at the G.

While I like the romance of the idea of playing all home games in Geelong, in practise it would detrimental to the club. Reality is that a substantial support base for the club see attending the footy in Melbourne as convenient and attending the footy in Geelong as inconvenient. That is why we have Vic 5 and Melbourne membership categories - to cater for that demographic. Take away the Melbourne matches and a fair chunk of those supporters will stop being members or transition to a cheaper membership. And so if we are going to play a couple of home matches a year in Melbourne, we want to maximise the attendance, which means playing against the likes of Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Essendon at the G.
11 Geelong games, 5 interstate games still leaves 7 Melbourne games.

Do you reckon it would be harder to get sponsors without a couple of big home functions at the G?
They love that sh*t.
Still possible to host functions at away games. I'm sure Melbourne and Hawthorn would have empty rooms we could rent from them.

Still possible to host functions at away games. I'm sure Melbourne and Hawthorn would have empty rooms we could rent from them.
Yeah suppose. But the other team and their sponsors won't be there.
If your a VC or a CEO etc how are you gonna mingle to get your nephew a job they don't deserve?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back