Mid-season Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Great work. A big advantage that the two young fellas are already known to the club. Takes some risk out of it.
Rucks are easy to find. If we need one in 2024 or whenever we start challenging again it won't be a problem.
If at least one (or two) of Jeka, Lewis, Callow & Kosi can become a key defender, our spine is sorted for the next decade.

After making dinner and sitting down to play a game I somehow missed the live draft!

Genuinely didn't expect Newcombe at 2. It's a real vote of confidence that there was a threat that multiple clubs were probably willing to give him 3.5 years in the first round. Genuine chance to play Vs Sydney. Plays a lot like Worpel at VFL but won't be as dominant at AFL level on that role. He looks better on the spread and leading up for uncontested mark chains which is actually what we need a bit. Not surprised at all of he plays Vs Sydney.

Callow obviously has big weapons and big limitations. I really want to believe that he can park himself D50 and compete really well there. If he can read the play well and integrate into a system, it can work.

I think Moyle is tracking very well so that's a bit of a shame. The Suns have a ruck that won't look out of place as a backup as early as next year is my view, which is great for a young ruck.

And I love that Parker got another shot. I was big on him for last DFA period and I still think he has all the tools to be a good AFL player. He'll be perfect for Richmond's system up forward.

Last edited:
The doubt on Jackson Callow being drafted was whether his style of game would translate to the AFL. The Hawks now get the chance to find out for the cost of a spot in 11 irrelevant games. He will either be a home run or a strike out, I don’t see anything in-between. Either way, it has cost us nothing and we will KNOW.

I hope we play him after the bye and for as many games as as possible after that. Try him at full forward and at full back.

What an Excellent selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should. Firstly because he’s out performed the other blokes at Box Hill and our senior midfield stinks. And secondly to stick it up the swans for complaining
He's also had different roles. I wonder what Finn would be doing if he was just let off a leash?

Maple Street I think, El.
haha, yes, of course. Cheers.

Getting some retroactive memeory interference from the much later "Nightmare on Elm St"... the similar types of tree in the title helped...

Last edited:
We need a ruck (a good one) and get Jia 2nd round. Don’t need a slow KPF.

We have Reeves. A fwd ruck would be nice, but another primary ruckman no, particularly as a backup. The meta is to have a recycled ruck as your backup. If Callow needs to get up & down the ground then sure he might get exposed for pace on the way back, but hard and fast leads are few & far between these days. If he can hold his ground and take contested marks - or crash a pack & take a contested mark, let's give him a go!

Commend the club for going after and securing a young mid and not making the mistake of taking pick 2 on a ruck. Callow looks like a big unit for a 19yr old, similar in size to Kozi, and also gives us versatility to find a key back amongst the current crop of talls at the club with body size.

We have Reeves. A fwd ruck would be nice, but another primary ruckman no, particularly as a backup. The meta is to have a recycled ruck as your backup. If Callow needs to get up & down the ground then sure he might get exposed for pace on the way back, but hard and fast leads are few & far between these days. If he can hold his ground and take contested marks - or crash a pack & take a contested mark, let's give him a go!
Mitch Lewis seems to get more involved in the game when he goes into the middle to ruck. Even shows the follow-up efforts many claim he's incapable of.

Mitch Lewis seems to get more involved in the game when he goes into the middle to ruck. Even shows the follow-up efforts many claim he's incapable of.
Ohhh really?! He applies follow up efforts as a non negotiable of playing in the ruck, but i wouldn't say he does it beyond an average level. I wish he did

Remove this Banner Ad

Back