List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He's been training at Essendon. He's probably not much chop
Would have been better off training alone. Angus Baker (who trained with Essendon preseason) is a friend of a friend of mine and he said that Essendon's training standards are lower than his club back in Canberra 😂😂

And then even after amassing all the top 10 picks, some campaigner club like Richmond snags Bolton with pick 29.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
Bolton wouldn’t be the player he is now if he wasn’t at Richmond.
There was a reason he was pick 29.
Iirc he only made the 16 draft by a couple of weeks. He was very young when drafted.
The club is reaping the rewards from the invested time we have put into him

Did we have a crack at him last year?
Good player, played well against us and a couple of weeks ago was close to best for Cats.

I think we made enquires…he is “mates” with some of our boys

is a quality player…just not getting a consistent gig at the cats….bc scotty has favourites

Everyone comparing Cerra to Prestia, and reviewing what we gave up for Prestia.

We gave up pick 6 in the 2016 draft. That would have given us a chance at:
Jack Scrimshaw,
Griffen Logue
Will Brodie
Oliver Florent
assuming we weren't likely to reach much further.
We also received back pick 24 which we ontraded for Caddy.

Not sure what my point is, but the top 10 of the draft rarely offers many surprises. That list is the quality of player we gave up for Prestia.
What we decide to give up or not give up for Cerra depends on how we rate this draft and whatever picks we end up with.
Expert draft opinion varies between Super-draft to extraordinarily weak. Personally I have no idea....

Jack Scrimshaw,
Griffen Logue
Will Brodie
Oliver Florent

Not sure what my point is, but the top 10 of the draft rarely offers many surprises. That list is the quality of player we gave up for Prestia.
What we decide to give up or not give up for Cerra depends on how we rate this draft and whatever picks we end up with.
Expert draft opinion varies between Super-draft to extraordinarily weak. Personally I have no idea....
I guess at the time Prestia fit a need and was a proven midfielder, the only knock on him was injury concerns. Kids usually need a few years in the 2s before becoming regular first team players unless they are the genuine A graders. 3 premierships since trading for him proves we got it right.
Just for reference the games played by the players you listed.

Jack Scrimshaw - 37
Griffen Logue - 35
Will Brodie- 20
Oliver Florent - 82

Dion Prestia - 164 (3 premierships)

I guess at the time Prestia fit a need and was a proven midfielder, the only knock on him was injury concerns. Kids usually need a few years in the 2s before becoming regular first team players unless they are the genuine A graders. 3 premierships since trading for him proves we got it right.

Jack Scrimshaw - 37
Griffen Logue - 35
Will Brodie- 20
Oliver Florent - 82

Personally, I was against giving up pick 6 for Prestia, but in hindsight it was a great move.
I think if Big Footy had their way, we would have gone for Will Brodie or Jack Scrimshaw.

We also would have gone for Kayle Kirby or Willie Rioli over Shai....

Personally, I was against giving up pick 6 for Prestia
I was too, at the time I thought we payed overs and it was a reaction on missing out on Treloar. We were in the market for a proven midfielder it now looks like it was a genius move. Now I'd much prefer meatballs to Treloar, he fits our list much better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All i would bd prepared to give up for Cerra is one of our late first rounders and if necessary (which it will be) a peripheral sweetener. Maybe a player like George or a second rounder. So for eg 16 and 34.

My nightmare would be that a guy like mcIntosh/stack/pickett unfortunately gets squeezed out because the likes of ross or naish arent going to get the deal done.

Jack Scrimshaw - 37
Griffen Logue - 35
Will Brodie- 20
Oliver Florent - 82

Can't argue with premiership success. The Prestia trade, in hindsight, was a masterstroke.

It's why I laugh at fans (both Richmond and opposition fans) questioning the Lynch acquisition. He contributed (in a big big way) to us snaring the 2019 and 2020 flags. He could've retired after 2019 and it would still have been a success.

Can't argue with premiership success. The Prestia trade, in hindsight, was a masterstroke.

It's why I laugh at fans (both Richmond and opposition fans) questioning the Lynch acquisition. He contributed (in a big big way) to us snaring the 2019 and 2020 flags. He could've retired after 2019 and it would still have been a success.

List blocker lynch

Jack Scrimshaw,
Griffen Logue
Will Brodie
Oliver Florent

I’ve been wondering about the strength of this years draft?

U19 Champs not until Sept-Oct this year so guessing that talent scouts won’t be able to make a definitive call on the strength of this years crop until they’ve seen them perform on the big stage against the best.

Our 2 picks likely to be at the end of R1, so let’s hope the quality is deep

Would you trade Judd for Taranto? That’s pick 3 in this draft. Absolutely no Cerra for me would rather a FA mid not use draft picks.
I’m not sold on Cerra, but I tell you what, I’ll trust our List Manager and our recruiters to make the right decision. They’ve been awesome with how they built, and continue to build, this list we have now

Eagles won a flag in 2018 without one of those “best players in the last 10-15 years” you listed. Charlie Pannam

Bulldogs had Bontempelli in 2016 but he did not have anywhere near that status in his 3rd season in the AFL, as good as he was.

Hawks had none of them in 2014-15.

Swans had none in 2012.

So it is not compulsory to winning a flag to have one or more of these players in your team, far from it.

Also, if you looked right now at AFL player ratings, I think 9 of the top 20 players at present were top 10 picks. 10 of the top 20 midfielders were essentially top 10 picks.

3 of the top 20 key defenders were top 10 picks.

3 of the top 20 general defenders were top 10 picks.

3 of the top 20 ranked general forwards were top 10 picks.

6 0r 7 of the top 20 ranked key forwards were top 10 picks - depending how you view Hawkins.

1 of the top 20 ranked rucks was a top 10 pick.

If I was ranking a Meteoric Rise top 22 most important players in the competition right now without putting too much thought into it, it might be something like this:

7 defenders
Grimes Andrews Weitering
Stewart Hind Daniel
Whitfield

3 wingers
Amon, Smith, A Brayshaw

4 inside mids
Bontempelli Neale Petracca Martin

7 forwards
J Cameron C Cameron Bolton
Stringer Naughton McKay
Papley

Ruck: Gawn

I am sure I could come up with a better team but that would be a reasonable representation of how I rate players at their best right now. I think only 9 of my best 22 there were essentially top 10 picks. I have tried to pick a balanced team rather than just the best 22 players I could find.

So you know, when you say there are exceptions, there are 13 exceptions in my casually selected AFL best current 22.

So I remain open minded as to whether you are better off taking the same amount of draft points inside or outside the top 10. There are approximately 19,500 draft points tied up in the top 10 picks. There are around 30,000 draft points outside the top 10.

So if the top 10 picks were significantly more valuable than their points indicate, we might expect to see more than 40% of the best players in the game coming from top 10 picks. I am not sure top 10 picks are over-represented in relation to draft points at all, let alone to a highly significant extent.
Yeah agree with a lot of that. All I’ll say though is would we be where we are today with 3 premiership cups without Dusty (pick 3 )

I would back our recruitment team every time.

Yes we got Dusty with 3, Cotch with 2, Dion with (essentially) 6.

But we’ve got Baker, Lambert, Grimes, Shorty, Georgey, Houli, Pickett, Soldo, Aartsy, Broady all from the Rookie Draft, Pre-Season Draft, Mid-Season Draft or late in the Nat Draft.

And turned mid/late first rounders or early second rounders into Vlas, Balta, Jack, Rance, Shedda.

Yes we’ve had genuine misses like Lennon and C.Ellis but apart from that really, Conca was screwed by injury after injury, B.Ellis didn’t fit our mould and genuinely might go close to BnF with the Suns, Rioli is an 100 game 3x Premiership player and was an integral part of our restoration in 2017, Higgo looks actually ok at the Saints as a high half forward and it’s far too early to call it on RCD, dude has only just starting forging his way into senior footy and has shown signs aplenty.

Our list isn’t just built well. It’s built to win flags. And we’ve won 3, with Dusty still with at least 3-5 years in the tank, Bolton, Balta and Baker young and some green shoots in RCD, HRS, CCJ, Mansell, Naish etc.

I back our list management, trade and recruiting guys every time. The Nank/Dion/Caddy offseason (and drafting Bolton and Graham!!!) arguably has set up our next 5 years. The downsides are Caddy is a 50-50, Garth a miss, Stengle left straight away, but the other 4 gets will carry us into the 20’s with serious quality.

We have 2x1sts, 2x2nds. We will hit with at least one of those you’d have to think. And Cerra is a serious player. If we have Cerra and a 1st and a 2nd at the time of the draft, I will be moonwalking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back