News Clarkson news, media etc - he’s off into the Sunset!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ross Lyon thinks that Clarko was unaware of a succession plan and has been blindsided

Didnt he hear the Mitchell interview today?
I think you are missing the point. This has nothing to do with Sam Mitchell and what he said today. Sam was excellent today.
The Board of the HFC decided to sack their premiership coach. They made that decision, told said coach, then approached favourite son, who fortunately said yes and we move on. Incredulous. These are the chain of events we are being told occurred. Good decision making ?? Good governance by the prince of good governance ?? Really ?? Where was the due diligence around the decision ??
This was a political decision made by an individual who is not used to losing. Simple.

Someone needs to ask Reeves regarding Clarkos comment on the way to that sad press conference....
If true would make a lot of sense why he sat there in a state of shock like a dear in the headlights.

I think you are missing the point. This has nothing to do with Sam Mitchell and what he said today. Sam was excellent today.
The Board of the HFC decided to sack their premiership coach. They made that decision, told said coach, then approached favourite son, who fortunately said yes and we move on. Incredulous. These are the chain of events we are being told occurred. Good decision making ?? Good governance by the prince of good governance ?? Really ?? Where was the due diligence around the decision ??
This was a political decision made by an individual who is not used to losing. Simple.
So you are certain Clarko wanted to continue as senior coach in 2023?

And they are. This decision starts and ends with them. If you are comfortable with that so be it, but I for one are staggered this is how a legend of of our Club is treated. What amazes me even more is that so many supporters of our Club support this. It is is staggering.
Once the decision was made to not extend Clarko beyond his contract, how do you suggest it should have been handled?

Mate talk footy, not politics. If you have something against Jeff because of his political then it doesn’t belong here. If you think Jeff wanted to get rid of Clarko then Clarko would’ve moved on last year when North offered him big money and by the way Clarko wouldn’t have signed on for another 4 years after Jeff came back

Once the decision was made to not extend Clarko beyond his contract, how do you suggest it should have been handled?
Clearly I do not agree with the initial decision, that said, I love Sam Mitchell, but why do we think he is the individual to take over from AC, what is the process of due diligence about such a decision ??
Look, Kennett wanted Sam, Kennett wanted AC replaced, Kennett convinced his Board, Exec (he just reappointed the silent CEO for five years….quietly), then turned his hand to the footy dept, and when he got them on side conjured up the succession plan so he did not have to pay out $1.2m plus.
Finally, do you think every player recruited to our Club within the failed List Management strategy did not need to be signed of by the Board and its President. Of course not. This decision “protects and distracts” the President and Board from holding the necessary responsibility for the earlier strategy. They are equally if not more culpable for the decisions made. After all THEY are your Board or so Mr Kennett, the prince of all corporate governance constantly reminds us of.
I am staggered HFC people are so trusting.

The club invested so much time and money bringing Sam and the family back from WA with this wink wink agreement that one day he would coach Hawthorn.

If you are Sam and you are watching Clarko fully invested this year with no timeline for him to get handed the keys then what does he do? Wait around at Box Hill for the next 5 years?

So he decides to go for the collingwood job and Clarko pulls rank and says to the board make a decision now or we may lose Sam.

Everyone is bagging the board but it was Clarko who asked them to make a decision now.

Tough decision- let Mitchell walk to another club who has all our sensitive IP or essentially finish up our greatest ever coach.

Perhaps this has been coming for a while . Let’s be honest Clarko would not be an easy dude to work alongside with his prickly personality so perhaps he has rubbed up enough people the wrong way over the past few years that has eventually cost him!!!!

Sorry but with respect you wouldn’t have a clue what Clarko wants to do in 2 years time
Is that right ?? Do you think that question was asked of AC ?? He has clearly, publicly and privately stated he would have been happy for a three year extension, but the Club, as a part of its decision justification said it wanted a coach that was committed to it longer.

I'm amazed at how quickly people are willing to throw Clarko under the bus.
Now, whatever goes right has Sam Mitchell's fingerprints all over it.
When something goes wrong, it's Clarko holding us back.
Insanity. Distasteful.

I am open to the prospect of Sam Mitchell becoming an excellent coach (I think he'll do well), but be under no illusions about enormity of the risk the board has taken, for minimal additional upside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate talk footy, not politics. If you have something against Jeff because of his political then it doesn’t belong here. If you think Jeff wanted to get rid of Clarko then Clarko would’ve moved on last year when North offered him big money and by the way Clarko wouldn’t have signed on for another 4 years after Jeff came back
I would be saying the same thing if this was Dan or Merlino who is an avid hawk.

It seems pretty obvious from Caro’s comments that her “source” is Clarko’s manager. She even mentioned how good a manager he is.

If Clarko has spat the dummy about being moved on then it would be pretty hypocritical from a bloke who ended the careers of plenty of players at Hawthorn “in the best interests of the club” well before they thought they were ready to retire.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is that right ?? Do you think that question was asked of AC ?? He has clearly, publicly and privately stated he would have been happy for a three year extension, but the Club, as a part of its decision justification said it wanted a coach that was committed to it longer.
When has he publicly stated that he wants a 3 year extension after next year?

Caro went very hard on this on Footy Classified tonight. Doubling down, claiming multiple sources who were at the meeting, and going as far to say “Sam Mitchell needs to be careful about what he says when he is saying completely different things to other people” (or thereabouts).

Says she wouldn’t risk her reputation on this if it wasn’t true.

Also confirmed that it was Reeves that Clarko called a spineless prick, and that the club has never leaked like this.

Ross Lyon, who is mates with Clarko,
basically said he’d been treated disgracefully.

The show continues....

I read the post as emotive but objectively accurate. Jeff’s record on corporate governance isn’t unblemished and there was no time for due diligence surrounding this decision.

This looks to be the will of Jeff and reeves pushed through at board level. That is not good governance.

It seems pretty obvious from Caro’s comments that her “source” is Clarko’s manager. She even mentioned how good a manager he is.

If Clarko has spat the dummy about being moved on then it would be pretty hypocritical from a bloke who ended the careers of plenty of players at Hawthorn “in the best interests of the club” well before they thought they were ready to retire.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s one along with others on the footy department. Hard to imagine it’s at board level considering how she’s basically accused them of incompetence, but some of her earlier stories this year suggests she has a source there too.

The club invested so much time and money bringing Sam and the family back from WA with this wink wink agreement that one day he would coach Hawthorn.

If you are Sam and you are watching Clarko fully invested this year with no timeline for him to get handed the keys then what does he do? Wait around at Box Hill for the next 5 years?

So he decides to go for the collingwood job and Clarko pulls rank and says to the board make a decision now or we may lose Sam.

Everyone is bagging the board but it was Clarko who asked them to make a decision now.

Tough decision- let Mitchell walk to another club who has all our sensitive IP or essentially finish up our greatest ever coach.

Perhaps this has been coming for a while . Let’s be honest Clarko would not be an easy dude to work alongside with his prickly personality so perhaps he has rubbed up enough people the wrong way over the past few years that has eventually cost him!!!!
Let’s not guild the lily, Sam has more than a few personality issues, all great people do.
AC is far from a clean skin, his List strategy to keep us competitive an abject failure.
But this Boead, this President hold just as much responsibility for its failure as does AC, if not more. This Board and President allowed AC to become the force and influencer he has.

So now to divert from the failures and avoid the economic penalty that they have inflicted upon themselves conjure up this succession plan rubbish. Please !!

where has Clarko said he wanted a 3 year extension???

Is it just me or do the media think they’re the 19th team of the AFL? When one gets whacked they all fly the flag. If I was president of the club I’d pretty much say we’re closing ranks.
No one talks to media unless unless we’re obligated. We need Wayne Bennett for some training.
That’s why the place is leaking like a sieve, the most recent time was 1996.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back