Autopsy Round 19, 2021: Adelaide defeat Hawthorne

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide had 10 players take more than 5 marks last night.

Hawthorn had 3.

Adelaide had 11 players with more than 15 pressure acts.

Hawthorn had 5.

We couldn’t control the ball, and we were pressuring them enough when they had it.

Happy to be proven wrong but these forums are an opinion game.
Mason Wood looked great too, how is his career going?
You’ll have to explain how Mason Wood is at all relevant?

Still can’t get over Sloane breaking away from the centre, slipping over five metres into his run, retains possession, is tackled by two players and then the umpire calls for a ball up. What am I missing here? That is outright incompetence which needs to be called out.
Umpires definitely had something for Sloane last night. Quite a few times he was caught cold in any interpretation, and wasnt called.

We didn't deserve to win. Played lazy footy from the opening bounce, it is still bloody frustrating

He’s less than a season into his AFL career as a tall forward.

He's shown very promising signs, and yep, plenty of time. But right now, I think he's a Daniel McStay type... which is a solid piece for our forward line, and I love that he pressures and tackles for a tall.

We desperately need to find our key forward of the future at some point but. An A-grader.... They're not on our list, no matter how much we want it to be.

Last edited:
Don't mind chad, and he clearly has passion for the club, but would trade him in a heart beat if the right offer comes up this season.

issue is, of our midfield group, he adds pace and class…….something sorely lacking from this group.

Hawthorn had 3.

Hawthorn had 5.

We couldn’t control the ball, and we were pressuring them enough when they had it.

Two areas Jai and Morrison might be able to lend a hand in.

Bramble has been a revelation. Despite some of his work not always paying off, he backs himself to try again. Once it starts clicking, Bramble, Jiath and Impey are going to be awesome line breakers on the hbf/wing.

The reality is Kozi, Lewis, Brockman and Moore don't have a lot of games to their name. Its very inexperienced. It's why we see some moments of brilliance and moments of WTF. The midfield made it challenging for them at various points but there was a lot they could have done better.

I was actually overall pretty happy with the contest yesterday. I thought it was a pretty good game to watch. We butchered the footy going forward too many times but I feel like our transitions up the ground have greatly improved. Once we start hitting up targets forward, we will take another stride forward.

We will bring in some quality young players at seasons end, get some improvement from our current young crop in the twos like Mitchell, Saunders, Downie, Maginness, Jeka, etc and we will have Impey, Jiath, Gunston*, Sicily and Day back in the line up.

Crows are seriously young, playing 12-14 players sub 50 games most weeks.

Dylan Moore had a really good game.

Reeves was good in the ruck contests, but fair play to Riley O' Brien who was still massive around the ground with 24 touches and 7 or 8 marks or whatever it was.

If we do end up with Horne it isn't due to tanking, it's just due to us currently being the worst side in the comp.

Its been so painful to watch for 3 years now. Hopefully Carlton offer their first for Mitchell and we should see if Omeara wants to go home to Perth and try get a 2nd rounder for him. It has been a failed experiment. No idea what to do with Worpel. Delist Phillips even if he has a contract, just pay it out.

Look I'm frustrated too but there's no way we can get rid of all 4 - that's ridiculous. You think we're bad now - imagine Cousins was our number 1 inside mid? We get rid of all 4 and we lose every game by close to 100 points. We were terrible going inside 50 but actually had the ascendency in the middle. We'd barely win a contest in there with all of them gone.

Hawthorn had 3.

Hawthorn had 5.

That is probably more about work rate than kicking skills. That and our over exuberance at contests leaving us out numbered on the outside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you, don't see a sustained future for Kosi. At times is perplexed where to lead, may have been a good forward at u/16's but that doesn't translate to AFL.
Kosi is a defender being forced to play forward because our mids and forwards are our weak areas, i think Kosi should be developed as Hartigans successor.

Wtf is all this talk about Kosi going back? We don't need any more backs. We've already got Sicily returning next year. Seriously people do remember that Franklin only kicked 21 goals in his first season. Key forwards take a bit of time and he's doing alright, especially with the supply going down there. Just relax!

Look I'm frustrated too but there's no way we can get rid of all 4 - that's ridiculous. You think we're bad now - imagine Cousins was our number 1 inside mid? We get rid of all 4 and we lose every game by close to 100 points. We were terrible going inside 50 but actually had the ascendency in the middle. We'd barely win a contest in there with all of them gone.
But who was in adelaides midfield? Sloane (a good mid), Keays (picked up after was delisted), Laird (a recently converted half back), Schoenberg (a kid) etc. Teams find a way to put a group together - but you need to create space for players to come through or other options to be tried.

If we clear out some of our current mids (and no way all five of JOM, mitchell, wingard, shiels, worpel are moved on) we have a tougher 2022 but may find a new group who can take us forward. Maybe day, scrim, bramble, Finn, Nash, etc can be turned into mids - but we need space to try.

issue is, of our midfield group, he adds pace and class…….something sorely lacking from this group.

I actually don't think he does anymore to be honest. He gives his all, but he's largely blue collar now to be honest...

His body has really let him down since joining us sadly. You can see it with his pace, jumping and depth of kicking... Seven goals this year, even splitting time midfield, is really underwhelming and a lifetime away from his peak years.

It's unpopular, but if a club offers a mid first rounder you take it in a heartbeat. I'd be really surprised if Sam doesn't entertain a trade.

Last edited:
As dissatisfying as a loss was we played like a rebuilding side with a bunch of kids. I’m still pretty happy with the effort and intentions to be honest. Same old same from Mitchell, Jom and Shiels…we can afford to have one.
I like that Wingard give it to Kosi. Set a standard and apply it yourself.
Moore… glad I wasn’t one of the ones that weee calling for his head last year.
Lewis will be a Forward/Ruck for the next 8 years and only get better.
Called Reeves early to be getting regular games by the end of the year with 2022 a breakout season as the number 1. We have a winner there.
Bramble need support for the next 200 games as a Hawk.
Hartigan, Frost, Phillips aren’t a part of the big problem or picture and I would expect that by 2023 that they are not on the list or playing Box Hill.
We are in desperate need of class with the ball in hand players. Kelly or Billing’s is a must. We need “that guy” in defence for the next 5-6 years and I recon Darcy Moore fills that need. It’s a shame we didn’t have a crack at Rough’s cousin.
I would love to see a little bit of tough injected as well; Stack would do here.
Put those 3 players in the side last night and we win. Put those players in with Sicily, Day, Impey as well and we are shooting for a top 4 IMO.
Never fun loosing and finish last but it’s the best thing moving forward. Show some ticket and belief for 2022 and get on with the show.

If we do end up with Horne it isn't due to tanking, it's just due to us currently being the worst side in the comp.
Do you think we are going all out to win?

Kosi is a defender being forced to play forward because our mids and forwards are our weak areas, i think Kosi should be developed as Hartigans successor.
This comment has my interest .... Kosi came to the club having towelled up one of the King brothers in the U/18s as a defender. I wonder how much knowledge he has gained playing forward and whether he could translate this into his defensive game. From memory his first couple of years at the club were stop/start with injury anyway so we possibly cant be too critical of some early struggles. He is also still only young and we have Jeka and Callow as his replacements up forward. I have a preference for Jeka as he seems to be more of a natural lead up forward.

Would be interested in other people's opinion on this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back