Preview RD 21 Geelong V GWS - GMHBA, Fri 6 August @ 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a logical explanation for what the selection committee are doing with regards to Narkle? Other than Narkle leaving, which still doesn't make sense not playing him, I just cannot for the life of me understand why he's getting snubbed consistently.

As for Holmes, he hasn't shown anything at the top level to warrant selection. Admittedly I'm pretty out of the loop these days, but unless he's absolutely killing it at VFL level, how can he possibly be selected ahead of Constable, let alone Narkle. I'm truly baffled.

I doubt he'd pass the character test here.
I think that aspect is now past history. Leadership has seen the very best of him emerge. He is one om my top 5 players in the comp if I could select a player outside of our team.

Does anyone have a logical explanation for what the selection committee are doing with regards to Narkle? Other than Narkle leaving, which still doesn't make sense not playing him, I just cannot for the life of me understand why he's getting snubbed consistently.

As for Holmes, he hasn't shown anything at the top level to warrant selection. Admittedly I'm pretty out of the loop these days, but unless he's absolutely killing it at VFL level, how can he possibly be selected ahead of Constable, let alone Narkle. I'm truly baffled.

Narkle has no defensive side to his game. He is a player who runs one way much harder compared to the other.

Surely your taking the piss.
Tony Greene is an absolute a grader. Forget his actions, if he played in Melbourne his hype would be similar to Dustin Martin
No I'm not.

Holmes will play 100+ more games then either of them. He is a rounded player while Constable and Narkle have bad limitations.

Heaps. Doesn’t spread, doesn’t run defensively (like ever), doesn’t apply any pressure when onball or intensity and has no positional flexibility. Not to mention his endurance is one of the worst at the club meaning he’s good for about 65% game time.

Gun clearance player and very very skilful but the match committee are clearly sick of him doing nothing about these issues game after game. He gets dropped every second week for a reason. He and Charlie Constable would have to be the most hyped up players since Jensen or David Ugrinic

Heaps. Doesn’t spread, doesn’t run defensively (like ever), doesn’t apply any pressure when onball or intensity and has no positional flexibility. Not to mention his endurance is one of the worst at the club meaning he’s good for about 65% game time.

Gun clearance player and very very skilful but the match committee are clearly sick of him doing nothing about these issues game after game. He gets dropped every second week for a reason. He and Charlie Constable would have to be the most hyped up players since Jensen or David Ugrinic

Ugrinic - wasn't he plagued by injury when he finally got to the Cats??

Did anyone like Ugrinic he never played only about 12 VFL games lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

games have continually gone ahead - professional sport has repeatedly been deemed essential by all levels of government

last lockdown we played Richmond at the MCG due to contractural obligations even though KP was free and more than capable of being able to cater to the crowd of 0
Now why would that be I wonder?

I think the Giants have done the numbers and think pragmatically they can still make the finals if they go flat out and win last two. This has the sniff of a team who has almost given up before they come down the Highway.

You would expect a big flood to mitigate scoring.

Interesting changes. Hopefully clark has a real crack.

He was the medical sub last week right?

I'm guessing he'll be playing Smith's wing role rather than playing full time as a misfit

I'm hoping he took notice of the intent showed by a couple of our inclusions from last week and that Zuth was up there in the bests while Narkle is back on the emergency list this week

If Clark's in the bests after the match that would be great, but I'm looking forward to seeing how he approaches the match and the intent he brings, especially from a defensive perspective.

Feeling nervous about the changes this week. I mean I've been keen to see Holmes given more of an opportunity in the seniors for a while, so happy to see him come in. But something about the timing of the changes doesn't quite feel right. Surely, with only 3 weeks left before finals, we would want to see a settled best 22 run out there and play themselves into some form. Resting and managing players this time of year for me is not a good sign for finals. Couldn't these fringe players like Zuth and Clark and Krueger have been given their opportunities earlier in the season? Feels like they're not really being given a genuine chance to cement a spot in the side right now, but are just there temporarily to allow others to "freshen up". I want to see real competition for spots, not player management coming into finals.

No I'm not.
one of the rare times I have to vehemently disagree with you...the ONLY thing stopping being near the #1 MVP is injuries, imho.

the odd suspension also used to limit his overall output too

Do people see Narkle's lack of defensive running live at the ground or on TV? I watch 100% of the games on TV and haven't ever really noticed it, but enough people have mentioned it for me to concede it's most likely a thing I've just missed.

Any examples?

Feeling nervous about the changes this week. I mean I've been keen to see Holmes given more of an opportunity in the seniors for a while, so happy to see him come in. But something about the timing of the changes doesn't quite feel right. Surely, with only 3 weeks left before finals, we would want to see a settled best 22 run out there and play themselves into some form. Resting and managing players this time of year for me is not a good sign for finals. Couldn't these fringe players like Zuth and Clark and Krueger have been given their opportunities earlier in the season? Feels like they're not really being given a genuine chance to cement a spot in the side right now, but are just there temporarily to allow others to "freshen up". I want to see real competition for spots, not player management coming into finals.
Early in the year you’ve got to bank wins with your best team because if you get too far behind you can’t manage games and workloads in the back half. We have that luxury now. I expect this is the last week we will be managing players. Next week will be some big ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back