Analysis Positives - Season 2021 and looking ahead

Remove this Banner Ad

Frustrating Season injury wise to our top end talent certainly didn't help which ended up like a version of changing the deck chairs on the Titanic with 5 changes each week at the selection table.

Hopefully all the players below who struggled injury wise throughout the season can impact a lot more next year

Yeo
Shuey
McGovern
Barrass
Duggan
Kelly
Ryan
Hurn

Plus Rioli

And a new revamped Gameplan of course

Yup Need them all fit and it looks like JK wants to go on again which I think is a good move

_Brander is a worry.As stated no left foot and hes a bit footsteppy![new word] After he got towelled up in WAFL playing dfefence it was said thats a big no playing there.But he [played on WPs Keitel and i dont know how big he is.Brander is NOT a key defender,he should be groomed to be the new Hurn.with ball in hand he makes good decisions.
- Somebody needs to grab HEdwards and teach him how to initiate body contact.Weve already got Barass and Gov who tho good marks ;get pushed aside physically.Its so important for big key defenders to have good body use.
- Petracelli i dont know.Hes biggest weapon is his speed yet he chases and pushes in the back.The only time he really turns on the afterburners is when hes running forward.If a bloke like him cant score a minimum 5 tackles a game then NO!!
-Cameron will hopefully be back next year and Rioli.Both good tacklers.
-Im also on the Shuey to HB wagon.May help prolong his career.
-We want a talented side coz if you are very talented then; as weve done for years; we can beat sides without getting too down and too dirty.But we appear to have forgotten that sometimes you have to get your hands dirty.I think its impossible to play a mad/frenetic fast paced style every week.It burns you out.But we need to be able to when needed.Basically we cant be all talent no grit nor all grit no talent.
-West is probably case in point.Gritty as! But we dont want too many of that type of player.

My positives:

- Nic's season, by far our best player and showed us why.
- Some youth got a taste for it - Winder, Edwards X2
- Some players taking their opportunity - Edwards X2, Rotham
- The Carlton game (with the outs to win that game)
- won't have to wait as long for our first pick to be named on draft night!

Negatives

- Playing players on reputation (This needs to end, no wonder we have performances with sub par effort...what's the point you never will be dropped)
- Bringing unfit players into a tall side, no wonder we struggle (match committee again!)
- Playing Allen in the ruck, poor match selection.
- Williams and that ankle injury, need him to have a good run at it/didn't take his opportunities fwd. Just was pushed under the ball way too easy wasn't able to compete (think it was the Adelaide away game).
- Tackling (😭)
- Kick outs (I'd love to see the percentage of kicking it long to the right) predictable and easy to defend.
- Lack of improvement from players. Brander, O'Neill, Ainsworth...have not developed

Overall a very disappointing season. Didn't have us finishing in the four, but a final at least. A lot of work to be done.

Season 21 - NN, Foley, Rotham and not much else. Perhaps watching a GF at Optus will make them realise the opp. they have missed.

Next Season - Yeo fit, and late form of this year will be what we can expect. Liam Ryan will be better. The return of Rioli. I watched his highlights today. We missed his cleanliness.

- Nic's season, by far our best player and showed us why.

I know that the ratings aren't everything but it does paint a picture when you look at the West Coast ratings for this season.

We have the biggest disparity in terms of position (78 spots) and ratings (7.5 points) between our best and second best player on the ratings.
We also have the 2nd lowest number of players in the top 100 (being 3), bested only by Gold Coast (2).

Saying our output this season was Naitanui or bust is putting it mildly.
AFL West Coast Ratings.jpg

A few guys debuted / made club debut and looked ok.
Besides that I have very little.

Find it very hard to name anyone who improved this season. Brander, Rotham, Jones and Nelson.... And even that lot is debatable.

Naitanui about the only established player who produced at a high level. Kennedy at a stretch maybe. The rest went backwards, due to form and injury.
LOL Rotham was number 1 in the second half of the season in marks, given that’s he is a defender and is generally a 1v1 type that’s is outstanding going.

Allow him to freely dispose of the footy like he did against Brisbane and we have a rock in the back line.

LOL Rotham was number 1 in the second half of the season in marks, given that’s he is a defender and is generally a 1v1 type that’s is outstanding going.

Allow him to freely dispose of the footy like he did against Brisbane and we have a rock in the back line.

I like Rotham but I feel that stat is a bit meaningless given our chip it sideways and backwards in the back half forever "gameplan".

Where is he for spoils (and other one percenters) and intercept marks? (genuine question, I have nfi, but reckon they're better stats to rate a defender on).

Surprised that the Saints are actually between the Cats and us in this stat. Thought we’d be a monty to have turned out the second oldest side in the competition most weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the negatives mentioned here (playing too tall, bringing in players underdone, Oscar in ruck, keeping players in on reputation, even lack of improvement in some players etc) was a result of the ongoing weekly attrition rate surely? The team was never settled, continual swapping and adapting players to different roles, hard to get much chemistry going.

Would like to see a weekly list of injuries/outs/ins for the entire 2021 season, could be quite revealing?
The positives from this was it got more game time into other players and exposed our depth (or lack of.)
The two-fold reasons for our poor season claimed by the coach was a shortened, interrupted preseason and our continual injury toll.

So when you look at 2020 we actually did quite well and arguably we could've finished higher if it wasn't for the Covid factor, presuming as a West Australian team the travel and hub issues were an extra burden.
We played in a final! (then had our hearts ripped out.)

As the dust settles and the revamp is beginning with players axed, I wonder how much of the problems
for our 2021 season are real, and not as a result of something else cannonballing or dovetailing from the 2 core problems? Eg - some of the coaching/game plan was a result of injuries and lack of quality fit players, coach was boxed into a corner, limited options?
I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the team gets a good preseason, builds fitness base, and player list is topped up in the right areas, then will everything else fall into place? (trying to be positive here)
Regardless, a game plan doesn't just fall into place and the midfield needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
One small positive from finishing 9th is we will compete less against other top 8 sides, again not sure of the ratio but we've seen sides bounce up when playing so called 'easier' teams, ultimately to get flogged in the finals though.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
We sit in the middle bracket for fixture difficulty, the same as we did this year from finishing 7th.

I saw something at the end of the season that showed we had one of the easiest draws in terms of double-ups. No doubles against top 4 teams, only doubled with Bulldogs from the rest of the top 8. That is crazy easy and we still absolutely bottled it. Losses to bottom 4 teams Collingwood and North destroyed our season and are unforgiveable.

Our draw will be harder next year.

In 2022 we just need to play with intensity.

Everything else will fall into place

Looking forward to pre season training to see the players attitudes.
In Simpsons year summary he pointed the promising moments like the 3rd quater against thr Lions
That was a quater with good tackling

Hay Eagles supporters
Probably the best thing this year for the Eagles was seeing Ben Cousins getting his life back together with him back playing local footy and getting to see his kids.
Keep going Ben you weren’t just a champion player of the Eagles but a champion player of the AFL.
BTW:1 thing I’m surprised at that no official of the Eagles or North Melbourne have come up with idea of a Medal named for the best player in Eagles VS North games like maybe the Glendenning or Cable Medal as both were involved with the Eagles as a player or on the coaching staff at both Clubs.

Hay Eagles supporters
Probably the best thing this year for the Eagles was seeing Ben Cousins getting his life back together with him back playing local footy and getting to see his kids.
Keep going Ben you weren’t just a champion player of the Eagles but a champion player of the AFL.
BTW:1 thing I’m surprised at that no official of the Eagles or North Melbourne have come up with idea of a Medal named for the best player in Eagles VS North games like maybe the Glendenning or Cable Medal as both were involved with the Eagles as a player or on the coaching staff at both Clubs.
Yeah it's very interesting. I'm still can't believe it from a science POV. Isn't his brain already fried? I know you can't recover from CTE but can you really recover from a drugged brain?

It's rather remarkable and is there any similar case of a famous person/person drugged up as Ben was and recovered?

Season 2022 is all about the FWD line that is where we will improve or stagnant

Ryan FF

Ummm we really need a quality midfielder who is in the top 5 in the comp to really compete again for a flag...look at the dees Oliver Petraca and the bullies Bont

Until we can find one reckon we are just treading water and filling up the numbers

Ummm we really need a quality midfielder who is in the top 5 in the comp to really compete again for a flag...look at the dees Oliver Petraca and the bullies Bont

Until we can find one reckon we are just treading water and filling up the numbers
Yeo was pushing into the top echelon in 2018.

I don't think we need a top 5 mid as longa Yeo and Kelly are in the top 50 and the next level down are solid support cast. Thats how we did it in 2018

Okay, I'm stuck in lockdown for another 2 weeks (at least) and want some sunshine in my life. The negatives of this season have been done to death in other threads, but what was good about the Eagles in 2021 and what do we have to look forward to in 2022?

Like:
  • Nic getting through a season uninjured and getting better as the year went on.
  • Getting game time into future defence KPPs like Edwards and Rotham - don't care that much that Harry got rag dolled by bigger players, remember the same thing happening to a young Darren Glass.
  • Moderate success of some draftees (Luke Edwards, West) with some potential to build.
  • JK continuing to be a force up forward, one more year on reduced time with more for Allen.
  • Perhaps getting a clear-eyed view of some players who won't be there next year.
What else?

There were plenty of positives out of all the negatives... the coaches and fitness staff know the players were fat and unfit when they came back... that wont happen again.
Cole was super consistent even when under the pump.
Harry got games in and looked solid inspite of being towel.ed up a few times.
Luke Edwards had that one good game to show he might be good in the future.
Westy brought the hunger and showed some passion.
Yeo will be a massive bonus next season
Generally the fitness and desire returning will go a fair way to the team improving.
Offseason/Draft Need a couple of elite young mids a KPD and a KPF.... no flanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back