News Tyson Stengle signs two-year extension

Remove this Banner Ad

I havent gone through the posts yet so you may have been told. I believe the players negotiated that they could sign new contracts but the issue for the clubs is that they still dont know their salary cap or how many players can be on the list. So I am guessing that Stengle's deal would be on the lower side and would necessarily create a problem for the club.
There was talk that clubs were trying to negotiate a TPP% drop into new contracts, eg if the cap dropped by 20% then the new contract would drop by the same amount. Not every player was happy about that though.

Really surprised at the lack of positivity for this guy. Been a terrible year to be a crows supporter and here's a guy no one really rated who was meant to be one of the most unfit in the club but has somehow managed to look like he can run out a game relative to the rest of the squad. Actually has some real football talent.

I really rate him and reckon he'll be a really handy acquisition in time.

Showing some potential. Big preseason and should be in for a big year next year.

Eddie is way faster that Stengle and has a leap on him.

Eddie barely took a leap and mark for us. He leaped a lot though, but what good is a leap if 90% of the time you dont mark it, and half of those attempts are a Free Against? And I dont know about Eddie being much faster. He was sneaky, crafty, elusive, could sell a dummy really well. Outright speed not so sure, perhaps a little faster. Stengle needs a bit better fitness, like our entire team.

Stengle is tracking well. Took Eddie 4 years and 75 games to start really hitting the scoreboard. If Stengle can be even 60% of what Eddie was, im more than happy with him to stay.

There was talk that clubs were trying to negotiate a TPP% drop into new contracts, eg if the cap dropped by 20% then the new contract would drop by the same amount. Not every player was happy about that though.

I get players not being thrilled with that concept, but what’s the alternative? If the TPP is dropped then clubs can axe players from the squad to reduce their cap spend? Nice team-first, “we’re all in this together” vibes there.

I didn’t think anyone was allowed to sign anything currently? Or is this just in principle?
Why’s that. Is Corona virus transmissible by pen?

Classy,guarantees goals and a good mover. All the flapping last year about how 'He's not fast!' doesn't mean anything at the end of the day. Will be a very good player for us over the next 8-10 years.

One other thing I like about him, he appears to be very hard to tackle - probably strength through the hips, which is a very good sign.

Last edited:
Classy,guarantees goals and a good mover. All the flapping last year about how 'He's not fast!' doesn't mean anything at the end of the day. Will be a very good player for us over the next 8-10 years.

One other thing I like about him, he appears to be very hard to tackle - probably strength through the hips, which is a very good sign.
You don't need to run 100m in olympic sprinter speeds, you need quickness of hand, foot and mind to be a top line small forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WebCycler-940x599.png

I think everyone knew this would happen but good to see Stengle sign on to end of 2022.

Clearly our best and future small forward
And he's signed another 2 year contract.

Geelong has handed Tyson Stengle a two-year deal after Crows officially delist him
Geelong has put their full faith in sacked ex-Crow Tyson Stengle handing him a multi-year deal as he prepares to move in with Eddie Betts and his family.

Geelong has handed sacked Adelaide small forward Tyson Stengle a two-year deal as a show of faith after the Crows officially dropped him off their primary list on Friday.
Stengle is set to move in with Eddie Betts’ family in Melbourne ahead of his first pre-season at Geelong, after a brilliant 44-goal season in the SANFL.

The Cats had to wait for Adelaide to officially delist him at Friday’s list lodgements before they could secure him as a delisted free agent but had already come to an agreement to lure him to Geelong despite rival interest.

Those overtures from clubs including Essendon meant Stengle was able to secure a two-season deal despite a trio of controversies that saw him part ways with the Crows.

His manager Garry Winter told the Herald Sun on Friday he was proud of Stengle’s resilience to absorb the decision then go away and work his backside off to get fit.

I kind of wish we had kept Stengle and not drafted Rowe. I understand it was a disciplinary thing and I'm not being critical of the club. I've just got this nagging feeling Stengle will have a decent career and Rowe won't make it.
Stengle will only make it if he works out he needs to work hard.

Forget the drug stuff, he's a lazy footballer. Works that out and he'll have a good career

Stengle was good, has the potential to be very good, but I also feel there are hundreds of other untapped indigenous players out there.
Call it profiling, but personally, I can't wait for our next small indigenous speedster.
If only we still had Cameron, or drafted Kozzie

wow I hope he makes it as he has a connection to the west coast, however his track record is super poor - poorer than most know - and Geelong the city may be tempting for him.

wow I hope he makes it as he has a connection to the west coast, however his track record is super poor - poorer than most know - and Geelong the city may be tempting for him.
As long as Matty Stokes isn't around it should be OK. I get the feel Eddie has more or less gone guarantor for him or he might not have got the 2 years elsewhere?

I kind of wish we had kept Stengle and not drafted Rowe. I understand it was a disciplinary thing and I'm not being critical of the club. I've just got this nagging feeling Stengle will have a decent career and Rowe won't make it.
I can't believe how much negativity there is regarding Rowe. He had a very passable first season for a small forward. If Burgess can get him AFL fit, he will have a pretty good career.

I can't believe how much negativity there is regarding Rowe. He had a very passable first season for a small forward. If Burgess can get him AFL fit, he will have a pretty good career.
Stat-wise his first AFL season compares quite well to Stengle's 2020, which was his 3rd in the AFL system (but first time playing more than 2 games).

Capture.JPG

Full comparison of Rowe's 2021 and Stengle's 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back