Universal Love RIP Russell Ebert. The greatest man!

Remove this Banner Ad

FDaxhjiVgAcKj3j

I don’t think you could get further away from the ethos of Russell Ebert. He was a competitive beast but he also knew how to move on, get better and come back. Tredders said tonight on AA that one of the strongest memories of Russell was after some of their horror losses it was Ebert that would great them on Monday mornings telling them to get past it and front up again. He didn’t dwell.

He’d never see it being “failed” or let down. He wasn’t bitter and twisted, he was the opposite. And he stuck by his club.

Thanks Expat - great post.

Vale Ebert 2021

Moments frozen in time

Russell hoisting the 1977 premiership cup over his head

Russell kicking a goal late in the second quarter of the 1981 grand final after receiving a 30m handball from Dave Granger then raising his hands knowing the Bays were done

Russell soaring on the shoulders of the rucks in a boundary throw in against Sturt in the mid 1970s and winning the hitout

The overhead Hammer of Thor handball that bemused umpires and opponents alike

Russell running into goal from the pocket against Torrens at Thebarton feigning to handball the whole time them casually flicking the ball to boot for a goal

Russell arriving at the Channel 9 studios looking a bit dishevelled and with lipstick on his collar to accept the 1971 Magarey Medal

So many moments frozen in time to be relived and cherished

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As has been said many times - one of the all time greats on the field and even better off it. A very rare combination.

I feel for your loss, but have to say, such is the mark of the man, it is not just a loss for Port supporters. This is a loss felt by the entire football community and indeed a loss for the wider community of South Australia. I dare say that I think the work he has done post football and the way he has handled himself as a human is the true legacy he leaves.
Irreplaceable.

Quick context: My wife is a teacher for children with disabilities - in her school context, they often have backgrounds with trauma, or are in care. Her family follow the Crows, she never really cared about footy and her interest in it even now simply extends to the fact that I love it

One day, wife came home from work and mentioned a Port Adelaide program came and visited her school and she began to talk really enthusiastically about a 'Russell Ebert person?' and how incredible he was with all of the children, despite how confronting the school is for many. She mentioned that he stuck around for far longer than expected, simply to just hang out and spend time with them. He listened with genuine interest, wasn't patronizing and was incredibly kind.

The point is: I swear everyone that comes into contact with the man has a story about him like this. The fact that there's a thread over on the Adelaide forums is indicative of his legacy as a human across even the biggest rivalries.
An incredible role model off and on the field.

There was no better sight in football than seeing Russell in full flight. Just a pleasure to watch. He was an innovator too. Who could forget his over the head handballs.

A legend on and off the field. The rarest of rarities.

Last edited:
Like plenty on here I was an impressionable young boy of about 4 or 5 when Russell was in his playing prime.

Etched in my memory is the first time I saw him in the no. 7 jumper - I guess it's akin to remembering where you were when Kennedy was assassinated.

We are so privileged to have had you.
RIP Russell ❤

I remember standing in the crush of fans on Footy Park oval after we won the '77 grand final and Russell saying 'Taken us a bloody long time but by geez it's worth it'. Thank you Russell 💔
I was there too and I can actually see myself in that famous photo. A privilege to be in the same photo with the great man and our team on that memorable day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back