Universal Love RIP Russell Ebert. The greatest man!

Remove this Banner Ad

How lucky are we who got to see him play live. That knew we had him playing for us in the heat of battle. What a privelege to witness a glorious career first hand.
I've been lucky enough to have been exposed to a lot of interests growing up but he was my only childhood hero. Like a few others, I have met him only once at a wedding and wasn't going to let that opportunity slip without letting him know much effect he had on this kid watching him play. It's easy understanding why this is such an emotional day when someone has played such a huge part in your childhood, even from afar.

Gutted. It almost feels flippant to talk about his incredible footy career because his achievements in football are dwarfed by who he was as a person. The humble legend who worked tirelessly to help others and always had time for everyone. Words don't do him justice. Sad for his family and sad for us all.

Of all the great things I was privileged to see the great man perform on the footy field, it is interesting that one thing has stuck in my mind since I heard the news.

We played Norwood in a night game at footy park, might’ve been the 1st SANFL night game, and Steven Knight kicked one of a handful he got that night. Knighty, being the character he was, started celebrating. Herb ran over and told him to go and thank the players that put in the hard yards to get the ball to him.

I’ve just got this message:

jackster83 said:
There is a blood donation team assembled in his name at the Red Cross. I noticed it when I last went to donate a couple of months ago.

It's definitely something worth encouraging amongst your fellow Port posters (and in the community as a whole).

I’m not sure whether it has been already announced here, but I don’t think such a thing can be posted too many times.

My self appointed ban can be broken for this

Had the pleasure of meeting the great man circa 2008

He was good enough to give his time up one Thursday night to go help out at happy valley juniors training after there being an old port magpies connection.

He was there the whole session, and afterwards for photos and Q and A

As a mad port fan he showed a lot of my friends what I loved about the Ports.

He also had told me I needed to learn how to handball both hands

RIP Russ.

Born and raised Victorian Port supporter myself, absolutely shattered to hear the news about Russell - cannot imagine how you are all feeling, hope all of you are okay! What a hero, probably one of the few non-vic old school players who gets any credit this side of the border, a testament to the man himself. Few beers in ode to the king tonight, rest easy Legend.

The audacity...

5t2pba.gif

The vision...

5t2pjx.gif

The whut...

5t2qjd.gif

The lols...

5t2pzj.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hero. Legend. Champion.

And he was a pretty damn good footballer, too.

His genius and brilliance are a given. But his relentless attack, fierce desire and repeat efforts kinda get lost in all that artistry - a great white shark cruising around just waiting to pounce. He would've led the league in one-percenters every year.

Power. Strength. Poise. Balance. Supremely skilled on both sides. Strong overhead. Could legit play any position on the ground. The complete footballer. The modern game prototype in 1968.

Personal highlights from this highlights video:

- Sitting on the stage floor next to a rat-arsed Big Bob.
- His complete humility while humiliating lesser mortals.
- That whole passage of play v Centrals culminating in him winning the ruck from a throw-in, darting towards goal and dobbing it from about fifty.

Words don't do justice to the man and footballer he was. All the tributes that have flowed on here, and in every other form of media speak volumes to the legacy he has left, and the man and footballer he was.

He'll always be our immortal, forever etched in the minds of those who were privileged to see him play, or fortunate enough to play with or against him. A true legend of the sport and our football club, hopefully the club can honour him on the guernsey in some way or something along those lines, it's only fitting for the on field legacy he left behind, and all he did and achieved at our club. To be universally acknowledged as Port Adelaide's greatest ever player, is a honour he deserves to hold forever, no matter who or what is achieved in the future.

Off field all the work he did for those less fortunate and under privileged speaks volumes to how great a man he was. All the fans who he's taken time to spend time with, and everything else, words don't do him justice, and I can't begin to sum it all up.

Rest easy Russell, you'll be sorely missed by us all, but will never be forgotten.

We failed him in our 150th and we failed him even worse this year. It angers me greatly.

The last time he saw us play we got ******* rolled like a pack of losers. Hurts even more now.
I don’t think you could get further away from the ethos of Russell Ebert. He was a competitive beast but he also knew how to move on, get better and come back. Tredders said tonight on AA that one of the strongest memories of Russell was after some of their horror losses it was Ebert that would great them on Monday mornings telling them to get past it and front up again. He didn’t dwell.

He’d never see it being “failed” or let down. He wasn’t bitter and twisted, he was the opposite. And he stuck by his club.

Had the pleasure of chatting to the great man a few times, and always saw him around the club and would give a wave or say hi or just have a quick chat

One time that sticks out for me was when we were at a family day at Alberton a few years back now... maybe 8 years ago and we were allowed in to the inside training area where the fake grass is. My 6 year old daughter and I were having a kick of the footy and in walked Russell straight up to my daughter and spent the next 10 minutes or so teaching her how to kick a footy properly and of course... handball. They spent this time kicking and handballing to each other while they chatted about school, football, her friends. He gave her some advice about always listening to mum and dad amongst other things.

Once he was done he took out a permanent marker and signed the front of her guernsey, gave her a high 5 and a hug and then moved on.
I also got a really nice photo with the 3 of us, and yes we still have the signed guernsey

This pretty much epitomises the great man. He ALWAYS had time for people. He was always putting people before himself and was always giving back to the community and kids in particular.

He was a unique human being. Humble, Giving, Loving, Caring, Loyal amongst any other terms of endearment you can think up. They broke the mould when Russell came along. There will never be another like him

He will be sadly missed, but his life needs to be celebrated now. Rest easy Russ

Last edited:
In a world where the words "champion" and "hero" have become cheapened through overuse, Russell Ebert was undeniably both a champion and a hero in the true meaning of those words.

He was a champion for his achievements on the field and a hero for his deeds off the field.

We have lost a great member of the PAFC family, a great South Australian and a great human being.

Farewell Russell, I salute your dedication, your courage and your compassion. It was an honour and a privilege to watch you play. I feel so fortunate to have grown up during your playing career at Port, which gave me so many happy childhood memories that I still carry around to this day.

Your passing reminds us all of our own mortality, not as something to fear, but as something to inspire us to strive to be the best we can be in all facets of our lives, not just for our own benefit, but for the benefit of those around us. That's the PAFC way and it was the Russell Ebert way.

RIP.

Sad day but relief that he is no longer suffering from that dreadful illness. I never met the man or nor have I seen him play but ultimate respect based on everyone else's encounters and stories. A true legend of the game and not just with PAFC but Australian Rules Football as a whole. RIP Russell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back