Club Focus Gold Coast 2021 - Chol, Andrew, Constable

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

All fair points but maybe nothing tips the bar for draft tampering so they may as well just get rid of it and let players nominate their club of choice
LOL, way to take an inch and make it a mile. Even if all of those are draft tampering, you're saying because a few players expressed their interest in where to go, we should get rid of the entire draft.

At the end of the day with the current system any interstate team could have taken Perkins (if they had a pick before #9), and any team could draft Ball or Greenwood. Even if this is tampering, it is so minor that the idea you'd use it as justification to get rid of the draft is pretty ridiculous.

LOL, way to take an inch and make it a mile. Even if all of those are draft tampering, you're saying because a few players expressed their interest in where to go, we should get rid of the entire draft.

At the end of the day with the current system any interstate team could have taken Perkins (if they had a pick before #9), and any team could draft Ball or Greenwood. Even if this is tampering, it is so minor that the idea you'd use it as justification to get rid of the draft is pretty ridiculous.
Its real simple..you either police a law to make it fair for all and a level playing field or if you are not, get rid of it as it is serving no purpose

Its real simple..you either police a law to make it fair for all and a level playing field or if you are not, get rid of it as it is serving no purpose
Except it clearly is serving a purpose. Because outside of a few outliers, 99% of the players aren't naming their preferred team. So you want to get rid of it over a handful of outliers.

Except it clearly is serving a purpose. Because outside of a few outliers, 99% of the players aren't naming their preferred team. So you want to get rid of it over a handful of outliers.
The AFL should be coming down like a tonne of bricks on perkins, bailey smith and wingard etc that said what they did to leave everyone in no uncertain terms if you try to manipulate where you go you get shut out of the draft. As soon as you stop policing it it opens the door for others to use the precedents set and then you dont have a proper draft

Just curious - with the tweet Hugh put out if he is actually now not on the primary list and is in the national draft - is it draft tampering to tell other clubs he will be a GC player. I mean if he has nominated to be in the national draft I thought there were rules against players doing that. What he says in private is one thing but to go public like that - why is he now not open to the AFL investigating...as another club might have thought about taking him as he is a good player - who knows
Not that it really matters to me but every year most clubs de-list senior players and in some cases publicly state that both sides agreed to pick up player in rookie draft. Isn't it basically the same?

The AFL should be coming down like a tonne of bricks on perkins, bailey smith and wingard etc that said what they did to leave everyone in no uncertain terms if you try to manipulate where you go you get shut out of the draft. As soon as you stop policing it it opens the door for others to use the precedents set and then you dont have a proper draft
Which is a completely different argument to arguing all players should therefore be able to nominate teams. I was quite open that I thought Perkins should have been penalised last year. I don't think what Greenwood is doing is at the same level.

But penalising those who step outside the bounds isn't the same as getting rid of the draft.

Not that it really matters to me but every year most clubs de-list senior players and in some cases publicly state that both sides agreed to pick up player in rookie draft. Isn't it basically the same?
Sort of. Except when senior players are shifted to the rookie list it is normally to allow the team to take the minimum three players or more at the draft. GC only plan on taking one player, which is clearly not in the spirit of the rule.

Sort of. Except when senior players are shifted to the rookie list it is normally to allow the team to take the minimum three players or more at the draft. GC only plan on taking one player, which is clearly not in the spirit of the rule.
We have already taken 2 academy kids this year as pre selections in Uwland and Brock, with pick 3 being our 3rd new player through the door in the post season. I'm not sure if they count as new players?

AFL really need to clean this stuff up.

Hey GC, any interest in Connor Blakely?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame they traded everything out of the draft this year.
Might as well go after a DFA to sure up their backline now.

Shame they traded everything out of the draft this year.
Might as well go after a DFA to sure up their backline now.
They can't. They have to take three open spots to the draft, which is why they delisted Greenwood in the first place.

There is a 1h DFA window after the draft which they could use I guess, if there's anyone useful left by then.

Posted this in the Ben King thread on scandals last night, encapsulates my feelings here. Don't want them to fold, just want them to sort it out.

There is no club in the league run as poorly as the Suns. There’s a new excuse every year for why they do dumb sh*t like dropping Lyons despite him being close to an A-grade mid and then letting him go for change. Never mind then bringing in Ratkins on THAT contract, or the way they’re managing Izak Rankine who is another indifferent season away from moving to Adelaide for crazy unders. Goals aren’t everything, but he kicked more than double their second best last season and apparently wasn’t in their top 10. Dew and his coaching staff are egomaniacs who refuse to consider changing their ways. The Suns aren’t terminal by a long shot, but replacing Cochrane and Dew with genuinely smart operators is a start. If Clarko goes it will be bigger than Lethal to the Lions, but he’ll also have an inferior list. I’m surprised they’re giving it another season of Dew. Short of a crazy good first half of the season where they sit comfortably in the 8, they’ll need a Clarko guarantee ahead of trade week to stop King and others walking.

I expect Gold Coast attempt to trade into the 20-30 range with their swag of future picks.
Was thinking that Carlton's pick 25 might have been a target, not sure if it's on offer now that Liam Jones has left.

Hawthorn will offer an upgrade

3 and F2 for 5 and 21.

Just to get them an extra pick I think we would consider. We wouldn't pay overs because they are the ones needing another quality ND selection
Seems pointless for Hawthorn if GWS take Callaghan at 2. Are you after Andrew?

Sun's don't have to make an extra pick. The list is already larger than other sides and there are already plenty of talented young players at the club.

Hawthorn will offer an upgrade

3 and F2 for 5 and 21.

Just to get them an extra pick I think we would consider. We wouldn't pay overs because they are the ones needing another quality ND selection

GC better off just trading future picks for an early 2nd. Or even the Lions pick 18.

Others will be interested in making it worth it if Hawks dont.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back