What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cruise into work a little later on the Thursday, it’s 4 months away - make plans now take an annual leave day, maybe leave the kids with a sitter for one game ******* hell people just need to stop whinging, it’s not perfect for everyone - as no time slot is… just embrace the fact that we’re opening up the season, hoping it flops? Yeah great hopefully Good Friday crowd flops too as I’m religious and can’t go 🙄 i don’t care if that’s a very poor result for the club but it would be good for me.

That’s literally no different to what you’ve just said
No matter which way you slice it, Wednesday night is a s**t timeslot for a very large majority of the week to week attending footy public.
The club wanted to keep the Friday/Saturday night Collingwood fixture for a reason.

Anyway, I'm off to organise my non existent annual leave and to find a Wednesday night babysitter from the clouds.

Alright so we have a Wednesday night game to open the season but it's 3 months away so plenty of time to organise a day of work and/or babysitters.

If it's was next week then I could understand the whinging.

I think it's great to play the season opener we should get as many supporters there as possible and try and make it every year that we play the opening game.

No matter which way you slice it, Wednesday night is a sh*t timeslot for a very large majority of the week to week attending footy public.
The club wanted to keep the Friday/Saturday night Collingwood fixture for a reason.

Anyway, I'm off to organise my non existent annual leave and to find a Wednesday night babysitter from the clouds.
Dude if you can’t find a baby sitter for 4 hrs, or organise half a day/1 day of annual leave in 4 months you have bigger problems to sort out than a Wednesday night game of footy

Dude if you can’t find a baby sitter for 4 hrs, or organise half a day/1 day of annual leave in 4 months you have bigger problems to sort out than a Wednesday night game of footy
Not really. Some people dont have the choice of when they take leave or family local.

Regardless, I think you're overplaying the potential benefit of opening the season mid week. I think long term, the benefit of a year after year Friday or Saturday night Vs Collingwood is clearly preferable to a potential one off GF rematch against Melbourne on a Wednesday night.

Not really. Some people dont have the choice of when they take leave or family local.

Regardless, I think you're overplaying the potential benefit of opening the season mid week. I think long term, the benefit of a year after year Friday or Saturday night Vs Collingwood is clearly preferable to a potential one off GF rematch against Melbourne on a Wednesday night.

It will have massive TV numbers, which is ultimately what the AFL want.
But the flow on from that is increasing exposure and therefore higher sponsorship dollars for us.
It's huge.

Sit at home, with the kids and save your voice for Rd. 2.
Edit: If you definitely can't get there that is.

Last edited:
Spot on. We had IMO a good thing going with the Pies - a prime tv spot, great exposure, big ratings and when it was our turn to be home team a cash bonanza. I hope we have not jeopardised that for a one off. I think Gil has said the GF replay may not be a permanent opening round . We could have lost a good thing. I hope we bargained hard.

I believe he was referring to the Carlton vs. Richmond match but I still think it's unlikely.

Maybe, however the bit in bold perhaps shows he means our game.

"The feedback from Melbourne supporters is really strong and I reckon we're going to have huge games right the way through and we'll go close to selling out that Wednesday night.

"There's a chance I think we have the biggest home-and-away crowd we've ever had in Melbourne, I really feel that's a strong possibility."

Maybe, however the bit in bold perhaps shows he means our game.

"The feedback from Melbourne supporters is really strong and I reckon we're going to have huge games right the way through and we'll go close to selling out that Wednesday night.

"There's a chance I think we have the biggest home-and-away crowd we've ever had in Melbourne, I really feel that's a strong possibility."

Yeah you're right. He's mad if he thinks that will happen between the Dogs and Demons on a Wednesday night.

Yeah you're right. He's mad if he thinks that will happen between the Dogs and Demons on a Wednesday night.
It absolutely should be 90+ there is no reason we shouldn’t have 40k there and if we don’t it’s pathetic, even more pathetic if dees don’t have 50k at the g to unveil their flag considering we have been so starved of footy in Melbourne.

Just make arrangements and get there for the better of the club we support, show your support for their effort last year - least we can do. Do people not think these things will come into consideration next time we’re asking for a blockbuster time slot? Just rock up

It absolutely should be 90+ there is no reason we shouldn’t have 40k there and if we don’t it’s pathetic, even more pathetic if dees don’t have 50k at the g to unveil their flag considering we have been so starved of footy in Melbourne.

Just make arrangements and get there for the better of the club we support, show your support for their effort last year - least we can do. Do people not think these things will come into consideration next time we’re asking for a blockbuster time slot? Just rock up

Don't worry I will and at no point did I say that I dislike the Wednesday option or that it wouldn't be a big crowd but to honestly think it will be the biggest H&A crowd in history is just a stretch too far in my opinion.

Here are the biggest H&A crowds in V/AFL history...

99,256 - R10 1958 Melbourne vs. Collingwood
94,796 - R5 1995 Collingwood vs. Essendon
93,373 - R5 2013 Essendon vs. Collingwood
92,935 - R11 1981 Hawthorn vs. Collingwood
92,436 - R4 1977 Richmond vs. Collingwood

And here is our biggest H&A crowds...

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 7.46.31 pm.png

And our biggest H&A crowds against Melbourne...

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 7.53.30 pm.png

As much as I'd like us to break the record I honestly just cannot see it happening but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and get as many people as we can do the match.

Personally I'm fine with the Wednesday option as it gives us the centre stage for the start of 2022 and I'm sure we'll break the WB/Melbourne H&A record I'm just not so sure on the overall record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look - we get all upset with the lack of media attention, we all get sick of the hype of the Richmond flogging Carlton bore fest that is the Thursday night season opener - yet here is the chance to fix both of those things and we are still complaining ????

Let’s embrace it - stick it back up Melbourne and make the talk about us winning the GF rematch and move on from there...

Our highest HA crowd ever is 68k. Probably would have gotten that same amount or more VS Collingwood and Richmond this year if it weren’t for Covid.

We’ve gained more fans from 2017-2021 than we did from 2016 to 2017. Wouldn’t be surprised if we get a few record crowds at Marvel and MCG this year.

You have to allow for the "we-wuz-robbed-by-Covid-coz-we-couldn't-go-to-the-GF" factor.

The AFL has given fans of both clubs (and agnostics in the general public) the opportunity to set that right. They can watch the replay which should be extremely competitive. They must reckon that's worth 30,000 extra straight away ... and they could be right.

Take off 10-15k because it's a Wednesday night but really this is a matchup between the two top fancies for the 2022 flag. Surely it'll draw a decent crowd on a warm March evening?

I'll be disappointed if we can't at least break the all time Melb v Footscray record of 55,000. I reckon Golden_6 is on the money with his 60-70k.

Hey Fossie 32 how about awarding a bonus point in the weekly comp if we can guess the crowd to within 2000? Estimates are going to range from 40-90k!

I'm tipping us by 25 points.

Surely the criticisms of the Wednesday game - as valid as they are - are a bit less because it's our away game, not our home game.

We'll get more people in a s**t timeslot in the opposition's home ground than Melbourne fans have ever had going to Docklands. I swear there was a game a few years back at the end of the season that there couldn't have been more than about 3 or 4 thousand Melbourne fans there.

Look - we get all upset with the lack of media attention, we all get sick of the hype of the Richmond flogging Carlton bore fest that is the Thursday night season opener - yet here is the chance to fix both of those things and we are still complaining ????

Let’s embrace it - stick it back up Melbourne and make the talk about us winning the GF rematch and move on from there...

This.

I can't believe all the whining that's going on. We get to open the frigging season FFS!

I get that Wednesday night is awkward for many, but for the club it is a great result.

Not only we get the exposure of the first game and the hype of playing in front of the biggest crowd in years (not to be sneezed at even as the away team), but means we'll have extra break over our opponents in the following round or 2 and more probable Thursday/Friday night slots
I agree don’t know why anyone is upset it’s one day closer to us spoiling the demons unfurling party

And in the words if the Easybeats “Monday I’ve got Wednesday on my mind!”

Don't worry I will and at no point did I say that I dislike the Wednesday option or that it wouldn't be a big crowd but to honestly think it will be the biggest H&A crowd in history is just a stretch too far in my opinion.

Here are the biggest H&A crowds in V/AFL history...

99,256 - R10 1958 Melbourne vs. Collingwood
94,796 - R5 1995 Collingwood vs. Essendon
93,373 - R5 2013 Essendon vs. Collingwood
92,935 - R11 1981 Hawthorn vs. Collingwood
92,436 - R4 1977 Richmond vs. Collingwood

And here is our biggest H&A crowds...

View attachment 1292069

And our biggest H&A crowds against Melbourne...

View attachment 1292073

As much as I'd like us to break the record I honestly just cannot see it happening but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and get as many people as we can do the match.

Personally I'm fine with the Wednesday option as it gives us the centre stage for the start of 2022 and I'm sure we'll break the WB/Melbourne H&A record I'm just not so sure on the overall record.
Seems we have a pretty poor record with big crowds. Also pretty sad that every large crowd record is an away match for us. I get the MCG is a larger capacity, but seems like we’ve never gotten more than 35k to a match against Melbourne at the docklands.

The opening game is most likely going to be 95% Melbourne supporters. Bulldogs supporters refuse to travel all the way to the mcg at the best of times. It's the reason the club doesn't deserve big games the supporters haven't turned up on good Friday so that will most likely be gone unless something dramatic changes.

Having slightly less sleep for one night of the year is not a genuine excuse if you want to watch the side.

The opening game is most likely going to be 95% Melbourne supporters. Bulldogs supporters refuse to travel all the way to the mcg at the best of times. It's the reason the club doesn't deserve big games the supporters haven't turned up on good Friday so that will most likely be gone unless something dramatic changes.

Having slightly less sleep for one night of the year is not a genuine excuse if you want to watch the side.
This comment is a joke right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back