Discussion 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't wan't to get to much on this topic.
My Dad had Covid and hardly knew it, only found out due to being randomly tested.
My Daughters boyfriend who is young and fit, was feeling like crap for weeks afterwards and still can't taste drinks normally.

If a lot of the team got it, they'd all be told to isolate for a week, which is what would affect the club.
Its also possible that a few could need to miss a few weeks.

Last night on the Project they were suggesting that you can get permanent dick shrinkage if you get covid. I'm wearing 3 masks and washing in hand sanitiser now. One and a half inches off and erectile disfunction.

They gave a large payout to the doctor. It was obviously bad enough to give six figures to them. A poor club like Melbourne aren't throwing away money for nothing and all clubs have excellent legal representation as well as the AFL always keen to litigate things away to stop copycat claims.. At the very least it was a case of the senior coach intimidating a medical professional to put players out on the field against their medical advice.

Once you win a premiership there is little you can do wrong so he won't see any real backlash but it is a serious incident being played in the media as the doctor being a gen Y soft utensil with a thin skin. Some of the character assassinations in the media might get the doc another round of handy payouts.
We‘ll never know, maybe Goodwin was well out of line and maybe the doctor was overly cautious about minor injuries that players play through every week. A six figure payout would suggest the former but stranger things have happened.

Last night on the Project they were suggesting that you can get permanent dick shrinkage if you get covid. I'm wearing 3 masks and washing in hand sanitiser now. One and a half inches off and erectile disfunction.
When I first read that a few weeks ago I thought watch the number who suddenly have a rethink go through the roof.

I guess if that happens to me i won't need to warn all the girls first any more.

This is not intended to be a discussion of peoples opinions of Covid rules or treatments or vaccination status and I checked with George before posting so feel free to reply on topic.

Take note of this please guys - let's keep it footy related thanks.

Anyway

There's been talk of Goodwin's behaviour for years but as has been said, success paints over that pretty well. Don't see much more coming from this surely, particularly after what's already transpired.

I think an uninterrupted season might be too much to hope for at this stage but I'm hoping for at least an uninterrupted start to the year. Hoping to get to at least a few early games while I can. God I miss going to the footy

With Covid now a realistic threat to team playing numbers, we could well see 15 a side games being played in the AFL!
15 aside has a 5-5-5 lineup, as in the current lining up of 6-6-6 at the start of play and after a goal is scored. For those still unsure what this looks like, its 5 defenders [no back pocket], 5 mids - 2 wings/mids out of the square at ball ups, a centreman, a ruck and an on baller in the square. 5 forwards [no forward pocket]. Bench can be as it is - ie 4, or whatever make up given the players available. ie as is or 2 interchange + 2 substitutes, 2 of each etc.
15 aside visually changes very little when watching the game, except for the the freeing up of the play. It's used in comps where fielding teams of 18 is difficult, like this season of AFL may become!!!
15 aside makes for a fast, long kicking game, and with it, 1:1 accountable football making a comeback!

With Covid now a realistic threat to team playing numbers, we could well see 15 a side games being played in the AFL!
15 aside has a 5-5-5 lineup, as in the current lining up of 6-6-6 at the start of play and after a goal is scored. For those still unsure what this looks like, its 5 defenders [no back pocket], 5 mids - 2 wings/mids out of the square at ball ups, a centreman, a ruck and an on baller in the square. 5 forwards [no forward pocket]. Bench can be as it is - ie 4, or whatever make up given the players available. ie as is or 2 interchange + 2 substitutes, 2 of each etc.
15 aside visually changes very little when watching the game, except for the the freeing up of the play. It's used in comps where fielding teams of 18 is difficult, like this season of AFL may become!!!
15 aside makes for a fast, long kicking game, and with it, 1:1 accountable football making a comeback!

AFL have indicated that their preference would be to top up from affiliated VFL squads.

AFL have indicated that their preference would be to top up from affiliated VFL squads.
That's currently the preferred option, but even that option could still lead to some clubs not having enough players being available to field an 18 aside team. Playing teams with fewer players like 15 aside across the comp would be a far better option than declaring the season finished half way through!

Geez just had a read of what Goodwin apparently said.

Pushing for Brayshaw to come back and play despite concussion symptoms. Pressuring the doc wanting to rest him. Then piling it on the player by saying he was exaggerating.
That's a bit rough.

Imagine Richo saying that about Paddy. Oh get him out of his comfort zone, he's faking it. Jesus

Pushing for Brayshaw to come back and play despite concussion symptoms. Pressuring the doc wanting to rest him. Then piling it on the player by saying he was exaggerating.
That's a bit rough.

Imagine Richo saying that about Paddy. Oh get him out of his comfort zone, he's faking it. Jesus
Replace Goodwin with Richo!

Don’t worry about the dick shrinkage
You were watching the Project ? Cmon you’re better than that

That's currently the preferred option, but even that option could still lead to some clubs not having enough players being available to field an 18 aside team. Playing teams with fewer players like 15 aside across the comp would be a far better option than declaring the season finished half way through!

I couldn't see them doing that though.

Even if a W.A. team was totally affected, 100% of the playing group.
Most of them would be available to play the following week.
Its been stated that 50% of Victorian players have already had it.

BUT:
-------------------

What if I have already had COVID-19 and I am notified I am a close contact?​

If you have previously tested positive to COVID-19, you will not be considered a close contact for 30 days after you finish isolation.
After 30 days, you will be considered a close contact if you are re-exposed to COVID-19. You will need to quarantine and get tested.
-----------------

That means that players could need to isolate on multiple occasions even if they have already had it.

Maybe your fewer player comp DOES make sense.
I don't like it though.

They gave a large payout to the doctor. It was obviously bad enough to give six figures to them. A poor club like Melbourne aren't throwing away money for nothing and all clubs have excellent legal representation as well as the AFL always keen to litigate things away to stop copycat claims.. At the very least it was a case of the senior coach intimidating a medical professional to put players out on the field against their medical advice.

Once you win a premiership there is little you can do wrong so he won't see any real backlash but it is a serious incident being played in the media as the doctor being a gen Y soft utensil with a thin skin. Some of the character assassinations in the media might get the doc another round of handy payouts.
I haven’t anything at all that is surprising for an afl club. Happy for someone to tell me what we have heard to far is out of the ordinary. Anyone thinking sporting clubs have the same rules with how people are treated is the same as most jobs is living in fantasyland. And do we actually know the payout. I haven’t heard a figure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a bit rough.

CTE legal action for Brayshaw after footy. Sue the club for negligence.

I don't wan't to get to much on this topic.
My Dad had Covid and hardly knew it, only found out due to being randomly tested.
My Daughters boyfriend who is young and fit, was feeling like crap for weeks afterwards and still can't taste drinks normally.

If a lot of the team got it, they'd all be told to isolate for a week, which is what would affect the club.
Its also possible that a few could need to miss a few weeks.
That’s why I hope most have had lately and not into the future.

That’s why I hope most have had lately and not into the future.

Under the rules/laws/whatever they are the govment gives us, they still have to isolate if they are a close contact, even if they have had it ( more than 30 days ago ).

I vote that we sign Roughy up with Sandringham, at least then , if we need to play someone he can go out and Paton the opposition.

Under the rules/laws/whatever they are the govment gives us, they still have to isolate if they are a close contact, even if they have had it ( more than 30 days ago ).

I vote that we sign Roughy up with Sandringham, at least then , if we need to play someone he can go out and Paton the opposition.
That’s true but close contacts for footballers would mostly be who they live with. Hopefully they have had it as well and are people who don’t go out much. We are going to lose players but so is everyone. Hopefully we are no worse than most clubs.

I haven’t anything at all that is surprising for an afl club. Happy for someone to tell me what we have heard to far is out of the ordinary. Anyone thinking sporting clubs have the same rules with how people are treated is the same as most jobs is living in fantasyland. And do we actually know the payout. I haven’t heard a figure.

They might have different rules but overruling and intimidating the doctors to keep players on the field is a very risky practice, particularly with concussion being such a massive issue recently.

They might have different rules but overruling and intimidating the doctors to keep players on the field is a very risky practice, particularly with concussion being such a massive issue recently.
Not sure the wording of what was said suggests that. They agreed to something and he was upset the doctor was thinking of changing his mind. Things like that would happen at every club. Huge beat up.

That's a bit rough.

The concussion and Goodwin's apparent lack of concern is the most troubling stuff to come out of what has been reported, but I can't stop laughing at the off season surgery story.

Lot's of players getting post season surgery over an extended time frame that would have ruled them out for the start of the preason, and Goodwin's solution is to ring the club doctor and call him a heckwhit lmao

Well handled Simon!

Not sure the wording of what was said suggests that. They agreed to something and he was upset the doctor was thinking of changing his mind. Things like that would happen at every club. Huge beat up.

Six figures says to me that there was something in it. To me it looks as if the club has won a premiership and it's stopped a potential implosion. A payout, a review that ousted the victims and they then paid a minder to step in to watch over the coach. It looks messy as heck but the win means that everything they have done is a stroke of genius and excellent planning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back