Autopsy 2022 Community Series: Hawks v Tigers, 1:10pm March 5th

Remove this Banner Ad

Challenge we have is some of the JOM/Tom/worpel/shiels replacements aren’t great kicks. Nash/Finn aren’t great/poor . Duke is solid (but composed) etc.

Going to be a lot of tinkering (and development to find the right balance). I don’t mind the concept of Nash/Jai (and maybe Finn) doing the inside bash and crash, with Wingard, Day, McDonald as outside receivers and then Mitchell/Ward playing a hybrid role. Doesn’t leave a heap of room for JOM/worpel etc though.

Challenge we have is some of the JOM/Tom/worpel/shiels replacements aren’t great kicks. Nash/Finn aren’t great/poor . Duke is solid (but composed) etc.

Going to be a lot of tinkering (and development to find the right balance). I don’t mind the concept of Nash/Jai (and maybe Finn) doing the inside bash and crash, with Wingard, Day, McDonald as outside receivers and then Mitchell/Ward playing a hybrid role. Doesn’t leave a heap of room for JOM/worpel etc though.
Nash's kicking is a work in progress. It has gone from awful to poor/average over a couple of seasons. Might yet get to good. Great is probably asking too much. He does however have good/great hands and if there are great kicks to dish the fall out to, his kicking won't be much of a liability.

Nash's kicking is a work in progress. It has gone from awful to poor/average over a couple of seasons. Might yet get to good. Great is probably asking too much. He does however have good/great hands and if there are great kicks to dish the fall out to, his kicking won't be much of a liability.
His kicking is generally fine and not at all bad from a technical point of view, his kicking on goal was awful which gave the appearance of it being a lot worse than it actually is.

His kicking is generally fine and not at all bad from a technical point of view, his kicking on goal was awful which gave the appearance of it being a lot worse than it actually is.

Generall better than good from a set situation. Has picked out targets from reasonable distances. Of course as a taller player kicking under pressure is something else. Has tall mid ever been good at that?. A few exceptions

Worpel was a B&F winner just 2 years ago.
Also, every Crimmins medallist since the 70's has been a good player and had a good career at the HFC.

Worpel would need to make history to NOT have a fine career with the HFC.

Just sayin.....

He actually gives it a fair roost when he needs to, for a 200cm bloke his levers don’t move to slow but you can see he looses a second on the kick where as his hands are lightning

i thought the game was solid except for 10 minutes in the first quarter where Richmond kicked 6 goals to nothing, other than that period we stuck with them and beat them the rest of the game, Noah Bolta was a handful early and that was the difference i think(he kicked a couple and handed at least another off through handball chains), also the accuracy problems we seem to have atm.

Hawks - 9 - 15 = 69
Richmond - 14 - 10 = 94

number of quality plays during game from my PoV - intercept poss/marks, clean disposal, good team work, goal kicking, good tackling leading to T/O ect:
Ward - 20
Nash - 16
Newcombe - 14
Phillips - 14 + goal
Scrimshaw - 13
Morrison - 11
Hardwick - 10
Worpel - 10
MacDonald - 10 + goal
Sicily - 9
Moore - 9
Wingard - 9 + goal
Maginness - 9
Breust - 8 + goal
Lewis - 6 + 2 goals
Lynch - 6 (1 half)
McEvoy - 5 + goal
Gunston - 5 + goal
Frost - 5
Long - 4 (1 half)
Reeves - 4 (1 half)
Shiels - 3 (1 half)
DGB - 3
Kosi - 3 + goal (1 half?)
Brockman - 1 (1 half)
I really appreciate when you take the time to do this. I was wondering if you ever considered doing a (for lack of a better term) "balance" sheet subtracting plays that cost the team from the quality plays listed here. Might give an idea of whether the player is having a generally positive or negative net effect on the overall performance. Thanks again!!!!

I really appreciate when you take the time to do this. I was wondering if you ever considered doing a (for lack of a better term) "balance" sheet subtracting plays that cost the team from the quality plays listed here. Might give an idea of whether the player is having a generally positive or negative net effect on the overall performance. Thanks again!!!!

i was thinking of putting errors as well, but i just put these out as sometimes its easy to point out disposals without seeing the actual effectiveness of disposals, but this is what i do for u18's and how i judge talent there so i took it over to our team for the pre-season games.

i was thinking of putting errors as well, but i just put these out as sometimes its easy to point out disposals without seeing the actual effectiveness of disposals, but this is what i do for u18's and how i judge talent there so i took it over to our team for the pre-season games.
Nah it's really great stuff. I just got to thinking about people trying to gauge the effectiveness of players like Titch and Flip in particular in relation to their statistics. No criticism at all!!!!

The last few years of captaincy selection is such an indictment on the rest of the playing group. There just isn’t anyone seen as a strong long term leader and we keep buying time for a young bloke to emerge.
In hindsight it wouldn't have been the worst thing is Shiels took over from Roughead way back when. But i also didn't think Roughead should have been captain, I'd have given it to Lewis for a few years into Sheils, Smith or gunston. Or have hodge 1 more year.

Roughead just coming back from a year out with cancer there were no guarantees that he would be the same player and turns out he wasn't and had to deal with some serious problems from the treatment that impacted his ability to play. I love Roughead and had he been fit and in form with no sign of decline sure, but not after what he went through to lump that extra burden.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In hindsight it wouldn't have been the worst thing is Shiels took over from Roughead way back when. But i also didn't think Roughead should have been captain, I'd have given it to Lewis for a few years into Sheils, Smith or gunston. Or have hodge 1 more year.

Roughead just coming back from a year out with cancer there were no guarantees that he would be the same player and turns out he wasn't and had to deal with some serious problems from the treatment that impacted his ability to play. I love Roughead and had he been fit and in form with no sign of decline sure, but not after what he went through to lump that extra burden.
Burger had the same view. His book.

It really didn't matter who got the captaincy. (Although Stratts over McEvoy was questionable)

We didn't have a natural successor to Hodge (at the right age and stage) and still don't 5 years later.

The inevitable cycle of success. We more than likely forcast Jaeger for it but it didn't quite pan out and now it won't find an obvious long term fit until the next generation are ready. (Day, Ward, Newcomb etc.)

The last few years of captaincy selection is such an indictment on the rest of the playing group. There just isn’t anyone seen as a strong long term leader and we keep buying time for a young bloke to emerge.
I heard J Dunstall talk about this last year, it speaks to a lot of our form the past few season as well. The massive hole in on-field leadership that essentially disappeared by about 2018 has never truly been replaced. We went from having one of the best leadership groups the game has ever seen, to something quite lacking.

The good news is our next bunch seem to have it in spades, and hopefully there’s some long-term captaincy options that emerge this year.

Our captaincy choices the last 6 years are genuinely horrendous, they are cue in the rack decisions and it’s shocking. The fact they are accepted based on “players not being ready” should be sign that we are on the wrong track.

Pretty sure I have even accepted it at one point, don’t pick captains at the start of their career or end of career, just too much risk

Our captaincy choices the last 6 years are genuinely horrendous, they are cue in the rack decisions and it’s shocking. The fact they are accepted based on “players not being ready” should be sign that we are on the wrong track.

Pretty sure I have even accepted it at one point, don’t pick captains at the start of their career or end of career, just too much risk
Stratton was the wrong choice.
Mcevoy wasn't

Had another look at q2 and Q3. There is no way on form you could pick worpel over Nash. Nash was a genuine bull in there. Massive physical presence and cracks in very very hard

Is the expectation that we can't play both? I'm only hearing that from a few people on this board and nowhere else.

Shiels, Maginness and Phillips miss a spot in the 22 for mine. Ward rotates through a wing and the centre.
Mitchell, O'Meara, Newcombe, Worpel, Nash will be the primary on-ballers in round 1 IMO. Ward, Macdonald and Wingard will run through there as well.

And now we are here with a captain that should not be playing every week, it’s the wrong choice no matter how you spin it. I love big boy but he should not be Captain this year
It’s primarily based on a player vote. How do you get around that? Tell them there are guys you can’t vote for cos they won’t be playing much this year?

It’s primarily based on a player vote. How do you get around that? Tell them there are guys you can’t vote for cos they won’t be playing much this year?
They have all been hand me down picks, not players in their prime that are desperate for success. The only reason the players are voting for them is the coaches have not made it clear enough.

The picks allow for the culture of the club to have an excuse when we loose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back