Opinion Changes v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

So there is a GWS fan who posts in the SuperCoach threads who seems to have pretty good intel on us. Knew about Hunter before the journo ran with it and also posted about the plan for Schache to play on the wing against Melbourne. Anyway he’s posted that Martin was coming in to the team, but more interestingly Libba no longer trains with or attends mids meetings. Reckons the club see him as a permanent small forward now.

This is really interesting.

Libba is definitely a close watch over the next few weeks. If I was to guess I think Bevo feels like Libba doesn't have the power, size and speed to match it with the big boys anymore. I've watched the 3rd quarter of the grand final a handful of times and Libba did get overpowered in the centre square quite a lot. I just put it down to a bad game/fatigue.

So there is a GWS fan who posts in the SuperCoach threads who seems to have pretty good intel on us. Knew about Hunter before the journo ran with it and also posted about the plan for Schache to play on the wing against Melbourne. Anyway he’s posted that Martin was coming in to the team, but more interestingly Libba no longer trains with or attends mids meetings. Reckons the club see him as a permanent small forward now.
Only one who can kick straight so all good!

I always try to put a positive spin on things in life, however i also need facts to make a decision.
As it currently stands, I am not positive about the dogs chances this year, as no issues appear to have been addressed (a new game plan, ruck/KPD help) since the GF bloodbath.
Facts...since 2000, only 1 team in 6 has made the finals after a 45+ beating in the GF.
That was the 2015 swans after they got done by the hawks in the 2014 GF by 47 points.
It psychologically destroys teams getting mauled in a GF, some serious changes have to be made;
Players to get over said belting, they ain't robots, have the dogs done that??
Serious changes have to be made to improve in the areas that your team got smashed in, have the dogs carried this preparation out???

Will you save yourself some psychological damage if you lose by 44 points instead of 45+?

This is really interesting.

Libba is definitely a close watch over the next few weeks. If I was to guess I think Bevo feels like Libba doesn't have the power, size and speed to match it with the big boys anymore. I've watched the 3rd quarter of the grand final a handful of times and Libba did get overpowered in the centre square quite a lot. I just put it down to a bad game/fatigue.

Libba has slowed down a lot and his injuries have done a number on his lateral movement along with people breaking his tackles more easily, I really can't see him playing after this year.

I am quietly confident of victory in a close encounter. Stars will return to form, mids will run hard both ways all game, exerting maximum pressure on opponents, Gardner and Cordy will step up and have major impacts on the game, Hannan and RSmith will kick steadying goals, and VDM will hit targets.

Bevo has a plan that involves conceding 10-20m on the mark, lulling Swans into a false sense of security, and they will kick the ball over Franklin's head all night, allowing Daniel to mop up and distribute with precision, initiating downfield manoeuvres. We are about to be back in the van. Top 12 here we come.

Libba has slowed down a lot and his injuries have done a number on his lateral movement along with people breaking his tackles more easily, I really can't see him playing after this year.

He is such a heart and sole player it would be sad to see him go whenever that is. Super smart guy who isn't flogging an endorsement every chance he gets.

Also we just signed him to a two year contract at the start of last year when he was flying.

Dammit. Frustrated about Martin.

I think we’ve decided it’s time to move on from Libba and Dunks/Baz gets more minutes. Is what it is I guess.
Remember that Dunks & Baz are also out of contract this season. Both those boys pretty much walk into any teams starting midfield and if we were to keep playing them out of position then who knows what could happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schache should definitely be in the team as the 3rd forward. He played that role really well in the finals series and I’ve always felt he has really good chemistry with Naughton.
Yep makes a lot of sense to at least stretch the Swans defence a little bit and try and draw some heat away from Naughty and JUH, and can do the ruck work and leave Cordy in defence where he is needed this week but nup.

If Martin was going to play that’s even more of a joke as it shows that we’ve identified we need a second ruck with Timmy, but we don’t have the confidence in Sweet to even play him. So we’ve gone into the season with just a 36 year old. That’s unacceptable.

Yep makes a lot of sense to at least stretch the Swans defence a little bit and try and draw some heat away from Naughty and JUH, and can do the ruck work and leave Cordy in defence where he is needed this week but nup.

If Martin was going to play that’s even more of a joke as it shows that we’ve identified we need a second ruck with Timmy, but we don’t have the confidence in Sweet to even play him. So we’ve gone into the season with just a 36 year old. That’s unacceptable.
The thing that annoyed me is that we’ve trained Schache in defence over the pre-season and then decided to play him on the bloody wing in round 1. We have massive holes at CHB & CHF. Why can’t we just settle players in certain positions?

Schache also doesn’t strike me as someone who thrives on versatility & constant change. For his own confidence he needs to hone in on a specific position on role and try to master that first.

He won’t be forward at all, he’s just named there. Cordy will be the 7th defender just like he was last week. Swans have 3 talls in Buddy, McLean & Amartey to be taken by Keath, Gardner & Cordy.

We had too many defenders last week which meant Caleb was played on the wing and at HFF. Now with Crozier out, he can move back to defence where he belongs.

No idea who will play on Heeney though. It’ll be Duryea but he doesn’t quite have the size.
Richards will have first crack at Heeney I think.

The thing that annoyed me is that we’ve trained Schache in defence over the pre-season and then decided to play him on the bloody wing in round 1. We have massive holes at CHB & CHF. Why can’t we just settle players in certain positions?

Schache also doesn’t strike me as someone who thrives on versatility & constant change. For his own confidence he needs to hone in on a specific position on role and try to master that first.

Clear as day we play our best footy tall, and settled.

Yep and he finally looked like he was setting into a role, sure Bruce’s injury changed things but then like you said he trained all preseason in defence, we knew where our holes were - then round one not just on the wing but forward ruck and defence as well. Who the * do we think he is that he can play all those roles? He’s a role player let him play a single role.

Sometimes it just seems like we have zero idea in what we’re doing - someone will train somewhere ply somewhere else for a week, someone will get gifted games then all of a sudden they’re not flavour of the month anymore and can’t get a look in and someone else will come in play that role, we like 2 rucks then we don’t we like a tall forward line for a couple of weeks then we don’t, we want 3 talls in defence no we want only 2, now 3 again.

I honestly think each week Bevo just decides how he’s feeling and that’s how we structure up for the week. It never seems like we’re building towards anything properly - which is the most frustrating part - there’s just zero resemblance of a cohesive footy club where everyone’s on the same path.

Yep and he finally looked like he was setting into a role, sure Bruce’s injury changed things but then like you said he trained all preseason in defence, we knew where our holes were - then round one not just on the wing but forward ruck and defence as well. Who the fu** do we think he is that he can play all those roles? He’s a role player let him play a single role.

Sometimes it just seems like we have zero idea in what we’re doing - someone will train somewhere ply somewhere else for a week, someone will get gifted games then all of a sudden they’re not flavour of the month anymore and can’t get a look in and someone else will come in play that role, we like 2 rucks then we don’t we like a tall forward line for a couple of weeks then we don’t, we want 3 talls in defence no we want only 2, now 3 again.

I honestly think each week Bevo just decides how he’s feeling and that’s how we structure up for the week. It never seems like we’re building towards anything properly - which is the most frustrating part - there’s just zero resemblance of a cohesive footy club where everyone’s on the same path.
This is depressingly accurate.

You're a broken record

You're a broken record

Yep and he finally looked like he was setting into a role, sure Bruce’s injury changed things but then like you said he trained all preseason in defence, we knew where our holes were - then round one not just on the wing but forward ruck and defence as well. Who the fu** do we think he is that he can play all those roles? He’s a role player let him play a single role.

I’d rather us focus on what’s between our four walls. Create a solid and settled 22 around our own game plan and let guys play in the positions they’ve trained.

Schache on a wing round one is pre season type stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back